Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Calling All Sportster Baggers...Post Pics of your Bagger

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2020, 11:29 AM
handirifle
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Army
Received 1,709 Likes on 1,141 Posts

It would have to be custom, but I really think its doable. As I mentioned, the bag mount bar could attach at the top, to the subframe. It would come down and under the bags, and be attached, in the front, under the rear pass footpeg mount. That bar, in my mind, is key to making it all work. I also think a rubber mount could work, but may require swapping to the old/new location of rear brake master cyl. My '07 had it right where the crossover needed to go. Of course there would have to be rubber mounts for the pipes along the way. All doable.

If you weld, there are kits, for about $175 with a bunch of different mandrel bent tubes, that could be used to do what I had in my head. Would love to see someone do one like that.

I seriously wanted to do this, but my wife likes to ride with me, but just not on the sportster, so I had to make choices, thus the Ultra I now ride. Cannot say I regret my decision, but I always like "projects".

Old 05-12-2020, 11:43 AM
hscic
Grand HDF Member
Received 547 Likes on 466 Posts

Originally Posted by Roman Weaver
What fender is that? I have been looking at that kind of one but was not sure which to purchase. I also have highway bars going on this week and covers for the lid speakers
Sumax Lowboy....do a search on this thread and I believe you will find the part number. There are a few of those on this thread.

Old 05-12-2020, 11:49 AM
Roman Weaver
2nd Gear
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by handirifle
It would have to be custom, but I really think its doable. As I mentioned, the bag mount bar could attach at the top, to the subframe. It would come down and under the bags, and be attached, in the front, under the rear pass footpeg mount. That bar, in my mind, is key to making it all work. I also think a rubber mount could work, but may require swapping to the old/new location of rear brake master cyl. My '07 had it right where the crossover needed to go. Of course there would have to be rubber mounts for the pipes along the way. All doable.

If you weld, there are kits, for about $175 with a bunch of different mandrel bent tubes, that could be used to do what I had in my head. Would love to see someone do one like that.

I seriously wanted to do this, but my wife likes to ride with me, but just not on the sportster, so I had to make choices, thus the Ultra I now ride. Cannot say I regret my decision, but I always like "projects".
So that is one main difference about my bike. As you can see in that side shot the bracket that comes out of the bag in the front has a bend in it and goes up to a frame clamp in the front of the bag. Since my bike is a 2002 ALL of the 04 up conversion brackets and parts do not work for me. I have to customize everyone one of them. I have a welder and am getting my welding skills better however i am not perfect yet. I have friends that could help with this of course. It IS an option I am looking at for exhaust, and would love to do fishtails on the pipes if I could figure it out.

Old 05-12-2020, 12:32 PM
handirifle
Seasoned HDF Member

Well I can't see the bracket you mentioned, but think I understand. I still think the bottom bar is the simplest. Mainly because that is ALSO where the exhaust hangs from in the rear, whether its aftermarket pipes or fishtails, whatever, it WILL need support. So it would have three main support points, one is at the heads (minor support), the 1st main, is actually the X or crossover pipe, the second, a bracket under the frame at crossover point, and third at the rear bag support bar, underneath,

I think it would be easier to accomplish with '03 and older, since everything can be bolted solid, makes life simpler.

Would sure make your bike unique. HD did it on an old model sportster, but they had the X cross in front of the front cylinder, and it just looked stupid, to me. The rear pipe crossover (crossunder?) would add enough length, to pretty much match the extra pipe coming from front cylinder.

Deosn't have to really even be an X, could be a short stub between the front and rear pipes, and maybe fabricate a heat shield shaped like an X, and get it chromed? I dunno, ideas in my head. Thats how my brain works, stuff keeps bouncing around in there, sometimes it splats, sometimes it sticks and takes root.

Old 09-10-2020, 06:50 PM
Crackedcases
3rd Gear
Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
Default All Original 77 XLT Shriner Dresser

I might sell it...

The following 7 users liked this post by Crackedcases:
corndog76 (09-23-2020), crb2855 (10-30-2023), Marsikus (09-23-2020), MikeBel (02-06-2022), Orng48 (03-01-2024), Ytcoinshooter (12-01-2022), YZR (09-10-2020) and 2 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 09-11-2020, 02:06 PM
Roman Weaver
2nd Gear
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default New work on my ride!

This is how it looks now... Changed out the front fender, new windshield, front chrome lowers. and new speakers

The following users liked this post:
corndog76 (09-23-2020)
Old 09-11-2020, 05:33 PM
handirifle
Seasoned HDF Member

Looks nice. Which give out first, your gas or your butt? A mini Street Glide. What model are the bags off of?

Old 09-23-2020, 01:04 PM
Pap1951
Stage II
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Really like it. How did you covert the hard bags to fit a Sportster. Just got into a Sportster 1200 Low and need some storage. I can find good deals on HD bags but they all seem to be for larger bikes? Just curious.

Old 08-21-2021, 07:36 PM
Dee Oakes
Stage IV
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Love this!

Originally Posted by kingxirol
Okay so the cheapo eBay tour trunk went on the bike today. Size and fit are perfect for a Sportster. Mounting took time mainly in figuring out how to use the hardware that came with it. Finally I said to hell with it and used some pieces of the hardware to mount it directly to the luggage rack (I got the one for Softail models which is a tad wider than standard Sports luggage rack for Sportsters). This way the mounting area is bigger resulting in a more secure system. The best part of using this method is that the whole thing is now quick-detach and comes off in less than 10 seconds.

Hopefully it doesn't look too out of place ... and I know the front turn signals are facing slightly upwards ...

Rear view

Front view

Side view
I’m working on my sporty now and am aiming for this exact look … just got the batwing fairing on today and already had the luggage rack on the back!
my headlight seems to sit weirdly back somewhat looking very odd to me…and had to relocate my speedometer to below/ beside my gas tank… not liking the headlight look or the speedometer on mine!! Where did you get the lights you have and the bracket for your speedometer??

Old 08-22-2021, 12:14 AM
handirifle
Seasoned HDF Member

Cool looking mini bagger. Nice work.

Quick Reply: Calling All Sportster Baggers...Post Pics of your Bagger