Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2007, 12:23 PM
Ice_Rider
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil

This is going to sound kind of stupid but as a first time Sportster owner, I have been reading that there are two different oils that I have to use. But since I bought my 05'883C used, it didn't come with a manual. I did order a service manual but would like to get the oil changed ASAP. I was wondering if there really is two different types and what they were. Thanks.

Old 04-16-2007, 12:26 PM
sleepneagle
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: Oil

yup, you have engine oil and gear/primary lube since the tranny and primary share the same lubricant. Depending on the miles, I recommend changing gear/primary every other crank case change.

Old 04-16-2007, 12:42 PM
capttawes
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Just use Amsoil or Mobil 1 20w50 in each and your set, no need to worry about 2 diff. lubes. The first time around I used HD Syn3 and sport trans but last week when it was time to change again I switched to Amsoil 20w50 in both and it runs quieter and shifts smoother and I only have to worry about keeping one kind of lube on hand.

Old 04-16-2007, 01:01 PM
cHarley
Club Member
Received 302 Likes on 231 Posts

ORIGINAL: capttawes

Just use Amsoil or Mobil 1 20w50 in each and your set, no need to worry about 2 diff. lubes. The first time around I used HD Syn3 and sport trans but last week when it was time to change again I switched to Amsoil 20w50 in both and it runs quieter and shifts smoother and I only have to worry about keeping one kind of lube on hand.
I agree with capttawes but will offer the following.

I did run Amsoil but have switched to Mobile 1. They are both very good oils but Amsoil can be a pain in the a$$ to find if your on a road trip and need to top off the engine oil. You can find Mobile 1 at any auto parts store or Walmart.

Second, after running 20w50 in both the engine & trans/primary I switched to Mobile 1 75w-90 gear oil in the trans/prmary. I've found shifts to be smoother & quieter. It's also is easy to find/buy and 1qt. does the job.

PS. You can get a 5qt jug of Moble 1 15w-50 at Walmart for about $24. You don't need the V-twin labled Mobile 1. The regular Mobile 1 oil far exceeds any oil with an HD label.

Old 04-17-2007, 09:56 PM
sambo42xa
Cruiser

As I posted in another thread awhile ago about the oil in my bike.......1988 883, I change the oil twice a year with 20w50 synthetic and to date the bike will be 20 yrs old this October and I have NEVER put HD oil in it! She still runs fine. As far as the primary goes, I agree with "capttawes" and "cHarley" for oils. Sleepneagle summed it up as far as when to change the primary. If you got bags with the bike, throw an extra quart of Amsoil in there and you wont have to worry about not finding any Amsoil oil to "top off" (I don't think you're really going to use an entire quart of oil to top off), unless......there's more to the story?
Good luck...Ride SAFE!
(All the above are suggestions or My opinions)

sambo42xa
Southern, NH

1988 883 Sportster (still fast & loud)
2005 FLHTCI
1973 SS350 Sprint (under construction)
1942 XA (under construction)

Old 04-24-2007, 11:55 PM
ultraindy
Novice

This is probably a stupider question: While I have an Ultra Classic, and do all my own work, I just picked up a 2004 or 2005 Sportster, and have two oil questions. One, it is an 883 low, so it sits so low to the ground, I can't get under it to find the oil drain plug. I know- it should be obvious, but any clear directions of where the crankcase oil drain plug is would be appreciated.

The other question: my oil fill cap seems to be about 180 degrees out of whack. When i install it, it does turn as it goes in, but when it snaps, it is crossways to the normal curvature of the surrounding chrome trim. I've seen the pictures of how it is supposed to look when clicked down, but again, I just don't seem to get it.

Other than these two issues, it is a cool, fun bike! Thanks to anyone who can help (and yes , I will be ordering a maintenance manual!).

Old 04-25-2007, 01:06 AM
Wolhar
Banned
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

ORIGINAL: ultraindy

This is probably a stupider question: While I have an Ultra Classic, and do all my own work, I just picked up a 2004 or 2005 Sportster, and have two oil questions. One, it is an 883 low, so it sits so low to the ground, I can't get under it to find the oil drain plug. I know- it should be obvious, but any clear directions of where the crankcase oil drain plug is would be appreciated.

The other question: my oil fill cap seems to be about 180 degrees out of whack. When i install it, it does turn as it goes in, but when it snaps, it is crossways to the normal curvature of the surrounding chrome trim. I've seen the pictures of how it is supposed to look when clicked down, but again, I just don't seem to get it.

Other than these two issues, it is a cool, fun bike! Thanks to anyone who can help (and yes , I will be ordering a maintenance manual!).
On an '05, look on the low side, clipped to the frame rail near the kickstand(when it is in the riding position)there is a rubber tube, with a "radiator" clamp on the end holding a Plug in the end of the Rubber tube or hose, that is the oil drain.