Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

First day with my Sporty! Thoughts and questions

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2007, 11:26 PM
totalgeek
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default First day with my Sporty! Thoughts and questions

I just picked up my Sporty this morning 2007 1200C and its a dream come true. At my fat *** I can drive with aggressive leans but the posture on the bike allows me to ride without having to push my gut over a gas tank like a sports bike. I have some questions and thoughts. I tried searching first so here are the ones I don't have answers to:

* My low gas light is always on. The dealership said it gets that way when you overfill the tank. Just drive a couple of miles and it will fix itself. Well it hasn't, is there a way to reset it or should I take it back to the dealership to look at?
* I just realised I don't have a garage. Well I always knew, I just didn't care until I got my Sporty, I live in a manufactured home. How can I protect my bike? I didn't realize there is a lot of stuff that you can just unclip/unscrew and walk away with. I have a cover but is there anything else I can do? Do they make lockable bike storage sheds?
* I read another post on this one, but I just want to make sure, it seems anytime I'm below 25 MPH I have to feather my clutch. Does anyone else have to do this? When I can roll off the clutch the bike is already doing 25-30MPH. Am I doing this right or do I need to learn the clutch more?
* Is this bike touring capable? A lot of people told me to not go long distances when I was riding my street bike. What about this bike? Can this tour long distances? I want to get all the touring upgrades on this bike.

So far I love my bike! Its the greatest thing since I used to weight 140 now I'm 260 over 9-12 years. This bike let's me drive the way I'm used to driving. Thanks H-D and Sportster's, and HDForums for letting me be able to ride again and have fun. Thanks for the kindness everyone has shown on the forums, and help!

Old 04-15-2007, 11:32 PM
balley
Elite HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: First day with my Sporty! Thoughts and questions

Get the small Carport for around 595.00. Close it in yourself. A garage for around 1500.00. On the clutch, might to learn it a little, If you feel uncomfortable about it take it to the dealer. While there, ask them about the Fuel Light. It is all under warranty. Sprties are Great.

Old 04-15-2007, 11:33 PM
PigInaBlanket
Club Member
Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Hell yea you can tour anywhere you want on it as long as it feels comfortable to you. People have toured on much lesser bikes. Some people can't go more than 100 miles without a huge bike with the most plush suspension available, those are what we call the candy asses.Go on a long ride and see how it feels to you, I replaced the stock seat on mine as my candy *** was melting on it so I got a Mustang solo seat and now I can ride almost all day.
As for the low fuel light I have seen quite a few people saying it doesn't always come on at the same time as others do so i myself wouldn't trust it. I would just stick to using the odometer like I do on my carbed and no low fuel light Sporty.

Old 04-15-2007, 11:37 PM
XL1200N
Road Master

My low fuel light comes on whenever it feels like it, I still go by the trip odometer. And some one had a brain fart at HD and didn't put a reserve on the bike.[:@]

Brian

Old 04-15-2007, 11:41 PM
PigInaBlanket
Club Member
Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

I don't believe reserve would be good for a fuel injected bike. On a fuel injected car it's not good to let it run completely out of gas and with reserve on a bike that's what it could do before switching over to reserve.

Old 04-15-2007, 11:43 PM
SLORider
Road Captain

1. B.S. The low fuel light should NOT be on unless.....YOU ARE LOW ON FUEL. Tell the dealer you they need to quit BS'ing you and fix it.
2. Any Shed you can drive in and lock is better than nothing. There are lots of alarms available, plus big *** chains. Think Noise, Lights, and lots of layers of protection.
3. I don't know about feathering the clutch at 25-30 but you do have to at slow speeds. I'm not usually looking at the speedo in those situations though. Just take it easy and take it slow.
4. That bike will take you anywhere you can ride it.

Good luck and have fun.

Old 04-15-2007, 11:46 PM
XL1200N
Road Master

I guess that's why I keep a close eye on the trip odometer, the light will come on at 70, 80 and 90 miles on a tank of gas. One cool thing is they did put a clock in the speedo, now I know when I'm late and by how much.[:@]

Old 04-16-2007, 12:42 AM
tatkin
Banned

The first thing you want/need to do is to find some shiny black top.

Open that throttle and pop that babies clutch from astopand experience that back tire spinning.

See if you can get to 3 gear , I won't even say 4 , you need the salt flat for that .

After that , everything will seem old .

Old 04-16-2007, 12:55 AM
Dallastx
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have a carport and also a bike cover. The fuel guage works like this. After you fill it up, make sure the bike is upright before you turn it on.

Old 04-16-2007, 01:47 AM
totalgeek
Advanced

ORIGINAL: tatkin

The first thing you want/need to do is to find some shiny black top.

Open that throttle and pop that babies clutch from astopand experience that back tire spinning.

See if you can get to 3 gear , I won't even say 4 , you need the salt flat for that .

After that , everything will seem old .
Uh I don't know if I can do that without letting the bike go...

Quick Reply: First day with my Sporty! Thoughts and questions