Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

First day with my Sporty! Thoughts and questions

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2007, 09:34 PM
valveguide
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: First day with my Sporty! Thoughts and questions

ORIGINAL: totalgeek

I just picked up my Sporty this morning 2007 1200C and its a dream come true. At my fat *** I can drive with aggressive leans but the posture on the bike allows me to ride without having to push my gut over a gas tank like a sports bike. I have some questions and thoughts. I tried searching first so here are the ones I don't have answers to:

* My low gas light is always on. The dealership said it gets that way when you overfill the tank. Just drive a couple of miles and it will fix itself. Well it hasn't, is there a way to reset it or should I take it back to the dealership to look at?
* I just realised I don't have a garage. Well I always knew, I just didn't care until I got my Sporty, I live in a manufactured home. How can I protect my bike? I didn't realize there is a lot of stuff that you can just unclip/unscrew and walk away with. I have a cover but is there anything else I can do? Do they make lockable bike storage sheds?
* I read another post on this one, but I just want to make sure, it seems anytime I'm below 25 MPH I have to feather my clutch. Does anyone else have to do this? When I can roll off the clutch the bike is already doing 25-30MPH. Am I doing this right or do I need to learn the clutch more?
* Is this bike touring capable? A lot of people told me to not go long distances when I was riding my street bike. What about this bike? Can this tour long distances? I want to get all the touring upgrades on this bike.

So far I love my bike! Its the greatest thing since I used to weight 140 now I'm 260 over 9-12 years. This bike let's me drive the way I'm used to driving. Thanks H-D and Sportster's, and HDForums for letting me be able to ride again and have fun. Thanks for the kindness everyone has shown on the forums, and help!
Bull S from the dealer on the gas light.

Garage , you can get a bike cover for less or $50.

Feather the clutch , adjust idle on carb.

Touring , it is up to your back. I have done 900+ in one sitting.

Old 12-27-2007, 10:08 PM
Dale Franks
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I never get this. How could you need a 6th gear in a sportster??? At 4200 rpm in 5th gear you're popping 95 mph. You are right in the sportsters power band. At 4700 rpm you are going a good bit over a hundred.
Same here. I cruise at 4000 RPM--right at the peak of the power band--on the Interstate, which is an indicated 88 MPH. I'm not sure "6-gear envy" is really necessary for a Sporty.
[/align]

Old 01-21-2008, 10:10 AM
MosesJJN
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

CHECK IT OUT!

I was reading the owner's manual on my 2008 XL 1200, and it says the proper way to check the oil level is to have the engine hot, no one sitting on the bike, withthe bike leaning on the kickstand on level ground. I had to read that twice to make sure that's what it said.

I went back and read theshop manual for my 1994XL and itsaysto check oil, engine must be hot, and bike must be UPRIGHT...not leaning on the kickstand.

Wonder how many folks been underfilling their new bikes' oil tanks because they are used to the old bikes?

Old 01-21-2008, 12:08 PM
Flatlander
Road Warrior

For the 04-06's the original manual was wrong. It had everybody overfilling their oil tanks. Thanks for the heads-up though.

Old 01-21-2008, 12:56 PM
dhc8guru
Tourer

Are you serious, you gained 120 lbs in 9 years....that sucks! I feel your pain brother.. enjoy your sporty