Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

First day with my Sporty! Thoughts and questions

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2007, 01:35 AM
bospider01
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: First day with my Sporty! Thoughts and questions

ORIGINAL: Dallastx

I have a carport and also a bike cover. The fuel guage works like this. After you fill it up, make sure the bike is upright before you turn it on.
yeah, about the fuel light... it doesnt make a single difference how you fill it up, start it, ride it, etc... ive tried any and every method, tried riding the handlebars, filling it while standing on my head, someone said they saw me scratch my a** once while starting, but i digress... theres something faulty with the sensor/ fuel light situation. ive taken mine back to the dealer a few times and they cant figure out why the light comes on and off randomly. they changed out the sensor and checked my wiring with no faults found and still the light comes on when it wants. i can fill up and the light will come on after 2 miles... ive filled up and either i didnt ever see it happen or it didnt happen for the entire tank till it was supposed to. frustrating... i watch the odometer.

Old 12-07-2007, 03:36 PM
Sail and Ride
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Howdy Sporty riders! Recently bought mine, a '98 883Hugger w/Screamin' Eagle slashcut pipes. About that fuel light bospider01 - bikes are similar to boats in that they are electromechanical machines operating in a somewhat hostile environment. I had problems with the engine temp gauge on my sailboat. The gauge, the wiring and the sending unit passed every test, but the gauge still wouldn't read right. The classic cause of an electrical problem is a bad ground. I ran a separate ground straight to the start battery and boom! problem solved. Even tho the circuit tested fine, there wa a problem and the separate ground fixed it. You could have a similar problem. Sister the ground with a clip lead and see what happens.

Old 12-07-2007, 04:59 PM
kawsakimx6
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: XL1200N

My low fuel light comes on whenever it feels like it, I still go by the trip odometer. And some one had a brain fart at HD and didn't put a reserve on the bike.[:@]

Brian

wait the nighty does not have a reserve on it?

Old 12-07-2007, 06:30 PM
00ICUR12
Advanced

Get yourself an enclosed trailer and store your bike in it. It's also handy if you need to take the bike somewhere for service or repairs.

Old 12-07-2007, 06:39 PM
mrb302
Road Master

ORIGINAL: SportyPig

Can't help with the fuel light, I'm one of the guys that has the "antique" carb....AND A PETCOCK!!!The law will even allow you to fiddle with it in public.....hehe
Sportypig...
I don't think you actually care if the "law allows you to fiddle with it in public". I think you'd fiddle with it even if the law didn't allow...

Old 12-07-2007, 11:42 PM
bikepsych
Intermediate
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Total,
First things first, get to a bike riding class. One of the objectives is to do a VERY slow ride. The instructors will talk you through it, as well as other slow speed maneuvers.

Second, that light should NOT be on all the time. Mine comes on like others at the 90-95 mile mark.

Finally, who cares what you look like riding...RIDE it like you stole it. Enjoy.

BikePsych

Old 12-08-2007, 07:06 AM
RKLeo
Road Master
Received 102 Likes on 27 Posts

ORIGINAL: totalgeek

ORIGINAL: northern64

Heh, i thought i was the only one who bought my bike beforei realized i had no where to keep it! Right now its sitting in my room mates, parents, garage under lock and key. Also i weigh in at about 260, and i may look a little funny sittin on my brand new nightster, but what the hell? I feel great when im ridin it, unfortunately as soon as i picked it up last week it started raining to beat all hell so i have only had the pleasure of putting about 1.5 miles on it from the dealership to where im keeping it, someone mentioned to me that new tires and rain are a bad combination, so im waitin.
Nice! At least I know people who weigh 260 like me ride the Sportster. What preload did you put your shocks on? I had them adjust it all the way up to setting '5'. I don't know the bike has a lot of power because I know I'm a fatass but the bike takes off where it sort of jerks you back, from the line. I think thats great.

I would hate to see what my back profile looks like from the bike. I hope I don't look like one of those clowns in a circus that ride a small trike, or like I'm riding a pocket bike.

Just did about 2-3 hours off and on the bike, and I thnk my first purchase will be a new seat. My butt hurts!
I weigh 270 and the sporty fits me just right. My shocks are in the 3 position, I only move them to 5 for two up riding, and I bought a sundowner seat. The new seat cradles my assnicely. Its very comfortable.

Old 12-08-2007, 09:19 AM
x2lee
Banned
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would think a downshift would be better than riding the clutch right there.
ORIGINAL: SLORider
3. I don't know about feathering the clutch at 25-30 but you do have to at slow speeds. I'm not usually looking at the speedo in those situations though.
Good luck and have fun.

Old 12-08-2007, 08:32 PM
thomasf59
Outstanding HDF Member

How about a riders safety course!
Tom

Old 12-08-2007, 10:54 PM
x2lee
Banned
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I never get this. How could you need a 6th gear in a sportster??? At 4200 rpm in 5th gear you're popping 95 mph. You are right in the sportsters power band. At 4700 rpm you are going a good bit over a hundred. Ihardly evershift till I am over 5000 rpms.So basicly you are wanting to lug the motor at 100 mph? My1200 will do 90 in THIRD gear... Is yours that different?
ORIGINAL: badbs101

Good point about the gears. I do miss "plonking" on my Yamaha. I guess the best of both worlds would be 883 gearing and an extra 6th gear for highway on a 1200. Maybe the 6 speed gear box will eventually make it to the sportsters some day.

Quick Reply: First day with my Sporty! Thoughts and questions