Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

First day with my Sporty! Thoughts and questions

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2007, 03:42 PM
HOTLAP
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 389 Likes on 298 Posts
Default RE: First day with my Sporty! Thoughts and questions

My gas light has worked perfectly so far, just lucky maybe. Our school & playground zones are 30 KM limit (18MPH), in first gear mine will just idle at that speed without chugging.

Old 04-16-2007, 03:59 PM
badbs101
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: totalgeek

ORIGINAL: ZD

Having to clutch below 25-30 mph? Sounds like you might not have found 1st gear yet...
See I don't know if its me and I'm just not used to the Sportster's clutch. But when I'm travelling at low speeds like 5-10 mph it feels like the engine is about to bog down. Then I feather the clutch in hopes the engine doesn't stall. Maybe the engine sounds like that at low speeds? Like burr... burr...burr... but with a long pause between each burr. On my sports bike it didn't shake as much or the pistons fire so long apart.

Maybe I should just drive it at 5-10 MPH when it does that and see if it stalls? Maybe I'm just afraid of nothing?

I do have mine under a carport, but its not enclosed just one of those with a frame and roof over it.
At 5 to 10 mph you will definitely have to feather the clutch or you will lug the engine which is no good. The burr...burr you are hearing is most likely lugging. Harleys are geared much higher than Japenese bikes so if your used to being in third gear before you clear an intersection like I was with my Yamaha, you can forget that. Couple the high gears with a 2 cylinder with a long stroke and lugging is a very strong possibility. Low speed driving with a HD requires clutch finesse. Sometimes I wish there was a lower first gear for low speed cruising.Hell,on myYamaha, as long asI was moving, even a little bit, I could easily start in second gear. Not so with the HD.

Old 04-16-2007, 06:48 PM
totalgeek
Advanced

ORIGINAL: northern64

Heh, i thought i was the only one who bought my bike beforei realized i had no where to keep it! Right now its sitting in my room mates, parents, garage under lock and key. Also i weigh in at about 260, and i may look a little funny sittin on my brand new nightster, but what the hell? I feel great when im ridin it, unfortunately as soon as i picked it up last week it started raining to beat all hell so i have only had the pleasure of putting about 1.5 miles on it from the dealership to where im keeping it, someone mentioned to me that new tires and rain are a bad combination, so im waitin.
Nice! At least I know people who weigh 260 like me ride the Sportster. What preload did you put your shocks on? I had them adjust it all the way up to setting '5'. I don't know the bike has a lot of power because I know I'm a fatass but the bike takes off where it sort of jerks you back, from the line. I think thats great.

I would hate to see what my back profile looks like from the bike. I hope I don't look like one of those clowns in a circus that ride a small trike, or like I'm riding a pocket bike.

Just did about 2-3 hours off and on the bike, and I thnk my first purchase will be a new seat. My butt hurts!

Old 04-16-2007, 08:28 PM
SportyPig
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Can't help with the fuel light, I'm one of the guys that has the "antique" carb....AND A PETCOCK!!!The law will even allow you to fiddle with it in public.....hehe

[sm=bounceybounce.gif]

For storage, you can build a pretty secure little bike barn for a few hundred dollars.

As to the clutch, something doesn't sound right there. I can ride my bike down to around 5 mph before hitting the clutch, and I'm not lagging the engine. I tend to do quite of bit of low speed riding from time to time, and it's not a problem.

As far as touring. Go wherever you want. I do recommend getting rid of that 2 x 4 that harley calls a seat. I logged 9,000 miles on my stock seat in about 7 months. Then about 5 months ago, I upgraded my seat. HUGE improvement. I'm hoping the feeling (results from all the stock seat time) returns to my butt sometime in the next few months. I figure it took seven months and 9,000 miles to build up that numbness...I should be getting close to return to normal.

Old 04-16-2007, 09:55 PM
Dave_E
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

SloRider answered everything perfect. I will add to #3. You cannot possibly be in 1st gear and be going 25mph at idle, having toslip the clutch! 1st gear, clutch out should chug you along very slow almost per the beat of each piston. Check that one again, report back in the morning.

Old 04-16-2007, 10:48 PM
totalgeek
Advanced

I'm not doing 25 MPH at idle. Its just by the time I roll off the clutch, fully engaging the tranny, the bike feels solid and its already doing 20-25MPH. When I let the clutch fully out under 25MPH I have to feather it to keep the bike going. I just want to make sure this is not damaging my clutch or tranny. From what I'm getting Harley's are supposed to ride like this?

Old 04-16-2007, 11:45 PM
ronn39
Road Master

As to the clutch, something doesn't sound right there. I can ride my bike down to around 5 mph before hitting the clutch, and I'm not lagging the engine. I tend to do quite of bit of low speed riding from time to time, and it's not a problem.
It's the 883 gearing that lets you do that, SportyPig. Plonking (slow riding) is really had to do (and tough on clutches) on the 1200, butit's taller gearingdoes let you cruise down the highway nicely.

Old 04-17-2007, 10:23 PM
Broken Leg Rider
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Having to feather the clutch under 25 probably means you idling too fast or don't know where 1st gear is. Well... really.

Old 04-18-2007, 01:09 AM
badbs101
Road Master

ORIGINAL: ronn39

It's the 883 gearing that lets you do that, SportyPig. Plonking (slow riding) is really had to do (and tough on clutches) on the 1200, butit's taller gearingdoes let you cruise down the highway nicely.
Good point about the gears. I do miss "plonking" on my Yamaha. I guess the best of both worlds would be 883 gearing and an extra 6th gear for highway on a 1200. Maybe the 6 speed gear box will eventually make it to the sportsters some day.

Old 04-18-2007, 01:31 AM
totalgeek
Advanced

I don't know if a 6 speed tranny will be available. If you got a custom like me for $3-$4K more you could've got a Dyna Glide, which has a 96cubic engine and a 6-speed tranny. Pretty soon the standard Dyna will give way to the sportser.

Don't get me wrong I still like my Sporster, and I love riding it all the time gives me the ability to learn in turns I couldn't do before, with my forward controls, and throttle pumping response when I give the throttle a flick.

Quick Reply: First day with my Sporty! Thoughts and questions