Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

First day with my Sporty! Thoughts and questions

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2007, 02:11 AM
brauny1
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: First day with my Sporty! Thoughts and questions

Great, and the thrill hasn't warn off for me after 6 years (mine a 2000) and counting.
I bought one of them 10X20' vehicle storage enclosures from COSTCO for $220.00,
works in myback yard real well.
Sound like your getting great advice on them other issues.

Old 04-16-2007, 02:22 AM
06BlackWG
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My budy has a sporty and he parks his in the living room. My wife wouldn't even consider it.

Old 04-16-2007, 02:29 AM
Dallastx
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If I lived on the 1st floor, my bike would be inside.

Old 04-16-2007, 02:33 AM
PigInaBlanket
Club Member
Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

If I parked mine in the house I wouldn't be around to enjoy it anymore.[&:]

Old 04-16-2007, 02:53 AM
ZD
Road Master
Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

Having to clutch below 25-30 mph? Sounds like you might not have found 1st gear yet...

Old 04-16-2007, 02:59 AM
FORDTUFF
Advanced

even before i got my sportster a couple of weeks ago I would pass by a beautiful orange and black roadster ( dont know if it was an 883 or 1200) on my way to work , It just hurt me to see it sitting out in all kinds of harsh weather . I told my wife several times I woud at least put it under the porch , Right nowI keep mine in a 12X16 shed because we have a brown lab puppy that has the run of the garage and he chewed up the inspection sticker and holder on my honda shadow , so until he grows out of that stage i am not taking any chances , butI would definately get some kind of protection ,soon

Old 04-16-2007, 11:29 AM
totalgeek
Advanced

ORIGINAL: ZD

Having to clutch below 25-30 mph? Sounds like you might not have found 1st gear yet...
See I don't know if its me and I'm just not used to the Sportster's clutch. But when I'm travelling at low speeds like 5-10 mph it feels like the engine is about to bog down. Then I feather the clutch in hopes the engine doesn't stall. Maybe the engine sounds like that at low speeds? Like burr... burr...burr... but with a long pause between each burr. On my sports bike it didn't shake as much or the pistons fire so long apart.

Maybe I should just drive it at 5-10 MPH when it does that and see if it stalls? Maybe I'm just afraid of nothing?

I do have mine under a carport, but its not enclosed just one of those with a frame and roof over it.

Old 04-16-2007, 02:44 PM
ronn39
Road Master

ORIGINAL: totalgeek
* My low gas light is always on. The dealership said it gets that way when you overfill the tank. Just drive a couple of miles and it will fix itself. Well it hasn't, is there a way to reset it or should I take it back to the dealership to look at?
I don't have the light you ask about and maybe some of the other '07 owners can answer it better. But that sure doesn't seem right to me!

* I just realised I don't have a garage. Well I always knew, I just didn't care until I got my Sporty, I live in a manufactured home. How can I protect my bike? I didn't realize there is a lot of stuff that you can just unclip/unscrew and walk away with. I have a cover but is there anything else I can do? Do they make lockable bike storage sheds?
If you have space to put up one of those inexpensive metal storage shed carried by places like Sears, Lowes, Home Depot, etc., it would not only keep your bike dry but keep it a lot safer from the bad guys.

* I read another post on this one, but I just want to make sure, it seems anytime I'm below 25 MPH I have to feather my clutch. Does anyone else have to do this? When I can roll off the clutch the bike is already doing 25-30MPH. Am I doing this right or do I need to learn the clutch more?
I have to feather the clutch in 1st gear at low speeds a lot more than any other bike I've owned. Seems like my 1200C is geared rather high. I assume you gear down when slowing down to 25-30, in which case you shouldn't need to feather it.

* Is this bike touring capable? A lot of people told me to not go long distances when I was riding my street bike. What about this bike? Can this tour long distances? I want to get all the touring upgrades on this bike.
Depends on what you consider "long distance." The bike is certainly capable. A clip-on windshield makes long-distance travel nice. A luggage rack and a T-bag is nice. Pegs with "spurs" make long hauls more comfortable, as does something like a "throttle boss."

So far I love my bike! Its the greatest thing since I used to weight 140 now I'm 260 over 9-12 years. This bike let's me drive the way I'm used to driving. Thanks H-D and Sportster's, and HDForums for letting me be able to ride again and have fun. Thanks for the kindness everyone has shown on the forums, and help!
I know of nothing more fun to ride that a Sportster. Welcome to the forum and enjoy!

Old 04-16-2007, 03:00 PM
Zeb
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

About the only advice I know to give to new Sporty owners is to be careful not to press the little red button next to the speedometer. That's your ejector seat button, and it will launch you 50 feet into the air.

Why they put those on there, I still don't know. Probably a sick joke of Harley's or somethin'.

;-]

Old 04-16-2007, 03:40 PM
northern64
Road Master
Received 65 Likes on 29 Posts

Heh, i thought i was the only one who bought my bike beforei realized i had no where to keep it! Right now its sitting in my room mates, parents, garage under lock and key. Also i weigh in at about 260, and i may look a little funny sittin on my brand new nightster, but what the hell? I feel great when im ridin it, unfortunately as soon as i picked it up last week it started raining to beat all hell so i have only had the pleasure of putting about 1.5 miles on it from the dealership to where im keeping it, someone mentioned to me that new tires and rain are a bad combination, so im waitin.

Quick Reply: First day with my Sporty! Thoughts and questions