Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pictures of old H-D's

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2005, 03:02 PM
CSR
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pictures of old H-D's

Does anyone know where there are galleries of Older Sportsters? I think it was ironhead that posted a pic of a 56, but what I'd like to find is pictures of a 59 Sportster.

Old 01-16-2005, 04:28 PM
rwb
Novice
Default RE: Pictures of old H-D's

You might try www.sportster.org [8D]

Old 01-16-2005, 05:37 PM
4boltsiron
Tourer

I've got a nice one here somewheres i'll E-mail it to ya.(I think its a 59?)

Old 01-16-2005, 06:02 PM
Ironhead
Stellar HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

1957 was the 1st year for Sportster.

At this page also shows a 1956 K model.

http://www.batorinternational.com/batorrestorations.htm

No luck finding a 1959

Old 01-17-2005, 02:08 AM
CSR
Advanced

I'm still not sure what I'm going to start with, but I'd like to go for a nostalgia look. Something with the old look and modern conveyances. Since I’m a complete H-D rookie. I’ve painted a few, but never owned one. The first thing I see that’s a problem is the oil tank. But maybe a new frame or modify the existing frame or make a new tank and cover plate that looks like the old style tank. From working on my friends Sportster, the first thing I’d do is replace the battery cables so I could mount the battery backwards to make changing the battery easier. I’m just throwing out ideas and not sure what I want to do. The year 59 is when my favorite guitar and I was made so that’s a good starting point. I doubt that the 59 is that much different then the 57, so I’ll start with that. Do a few sketches and see if I can come up with something I think is worth building.

Old 01-17-2005, 09:27 AM
Ironhead
Stellar HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

CSR, I see where you're going now.

I basically want to change mine from the way I got it, to basically stock again with a retro
2-tone look.

Old 01-17-2005, 10:49 PM
CSR
Advanced

That's pretty close to what I'm thinking. I'm going to watch what you do with your and see if there some of the stuff I want to use or change. I just got off the web doing a shearch to see what's out there. I saw an 88 sportster that was real close to what I was thinking. But it looked more like a Fat Bob then an old sportster. I'm still playing around with ideas. I don't even have a bike yet that I can start to work on. Just the loaner, but it got me to thinking, which is always dangerous.

Cliff

PS, Thanks for the picture 4boltsiron, that's a great shoot.

Old 01-17-2005, 11:48 PM
pococj
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,297 Likes on 484 Posts

ORIGINAL: CSR

The first thing I see that’s a problem is the oil tank. But maybe a new frame or modify the existing frame or make a new tank and cover plate that looks like the old style tank.
Gotta say I like your thinking. I've never liked the looks of the new frames - too "metric" looking. Yeah, they make for a better handling bike, but just don't look right. Hate those plastic side covers, whether on a Sporty or one of the newer FL models.

Old 01-18-2005, 01:29 PM
CSR
Advanced

Well Skip, if you like what I come up with, let me know and I make you a part for your bike. I'm one of those people who always plays around with things, I build guitars and mainly bass (I'm a bass player), I've designed and built one of the web most popular E-drum designs. I've customized cars that I've had to build panels and other parts for. I'm working on a studio grade recording mic for kick drums and bass cabinets. I've always got some thing going on. My current project is a high end, sound quallity stereo system for my truck which I'm working on a over head self for storage because I mounted a Audio Control EQS in the glove compartment. But I am getting a bike and it will be a Sportster unless I get a super deal on something else and then a Sportster will be down the road.

If you see a "SOS Skip" in the other section, that's a problem that has poped up on the bike, the battery is not holding a charge. I want to try to figure it out myself, but if I give up. I just wanted to give you a heads up.

Cliff

Old 01-18-2005, 02:50 PM
CSR
Advanced

Is it just me or do the old 50's Sportsters have a different tank then the peanut tank? I've just got a few pictures to go by, but it looks a little more like a Fat Bob tank to me.

Cliff

Quick Reply: Pictures of old H-D's