Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pictures of old H-D's

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2005, 07:02 PM
pococj
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,297 Likes on 484 Posts
Default RE: Pictures of old H-D's

Looks like a winner. When you say "K style" front end, does that mean you'll probably run the rubber booties? I think they can look good on certain bikes.

I thought of something on the oil tank. Y'know how the older electric foot Sporties had that tank that sorta hung out on the right side? (Similar to what your drawing appears to be showing.) What about copping a repop tank, cutting the back side off, and welding it to a home-made tank that fit into the newer style frame below the seat a bit? You could build a battery box and fit one of the old FX style electric foot batteries in the remaining space, and hang the voltage regulator on the left side near where it was "back in the day."

Edit time: just thought of something else: Are you gonna run the fork tins like an older Sporty? Kinda looked like it in your drawing, but wasn't sure.

Old 01-30-2005, 09:47 PM
Ironhead
Stellar HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The K style front end is a great idea. I like the shrouded triple trees with the old style headlight. I like the rubber boots and the early style front fender as well, with the defined braces.

Old 01-30-2005, 09:53 PM
CSR
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well as I understand it, the K frontend doesn't have the rubber covers but the Sportster does. It's kinda like the bike in Terminator 2. I've got the Sportster Performance handbook and it cover the history of the bike from the K to the Evo's and it has some great pictures. If you've got the book, page 20, top picture, the 57 is on the bottom. Plus I want to blend the headlight into the mount.

I'm not that sure about which bike your talking about with the tank. Can you give me a few years to try and find some pictures of, so I know what your talking about. The tank will wrap around to the other side and look the same. I think I still need to get to the battery from the side, so the panel will be removeable. Right now it's looking like I can mount the battery like the 04-05's, but I might have to use a V-rod battery to save space.

I like the way they mount the handlebars on a raiser on the new roadster, it might be easier to buy a new Roadster and add the Custon tank and police seat to it. I can get the gas tank with a cam and the oil tank has a cam already. But I'm going to copy the handlebar set-up of the Roadster and try to add the instruments onto to that. I need to find the dementions of the Dakota Digital 6000 series to work that out.

What kinda of front fender do you think would fit the bike. I did a bobbed classic (I think), but thats from a catolag and I didn't see it on a wheel.

Old 01-30-2005, 11:42 PM
pococj
Seasoned HDF Member

Tank I was thinking about was definitely on the '73 models as my Dad's had it. The tank stuck out on the right side of the bike, and the battery on the left.

I had a buddy who owned a K model. I gave him a '72 Sporty tank as his was shot. His had rubber gaiters, but then, come to think of it, nothing much was stock on the ol' girl!

I ain't sure about a fender. You're gonna have some old and new stuff on the bike. An old stock type probably would be a bit too much on the bulky side. A fancy sliver of a fender would look out of place with fork gaiters and fork tins. Maybe a cut down stock type from the '60s or '70s. My dad had an '85 XLX (last of the Iron Head motors). He replaced the small original fender with an older style. I'll see if I can stick a pic here.

Old 01-31-2005, 12:04 AM
Ironhead
Stellar HDF Member

I have a extra oil tank, if you're looking to modify it, let me know.

Old 01-31-2005, 11:17 PM
CSR
Advanced

Thanks for the offer Ironhead, but I think it's time to put something between my legs before I start to buy a bunch of parts.

Skip, now I see what you where talking about. That's part of what I was thinking. The first one I want to try will be fiberglass to see if I can make it work, but instead of cutting the oil tank, I'll add on to it and make it fit around the frame. Then I'll work on the battery side to see what I can do to match the oil side. And if that works, I'll do the front section to make it look like a old tanks.
How far are you from Port Arthur, TX, there's a 99 on eBay that's been laid down. I just e-mailed the gus to see if they'll ship it to the Northwest. I was hoping there was an outside chance you might know the guys that are selling the bike and could tell me something more on the bike. It's already been puched and has a few other things I was thinking of, like dual plugs. If I can get it at a good price, since I'll be rebuilding half the bike anyways, it just might be what I'm looking for.

Old 02-01-2005, 12:04 AM
pococj
Seasoned HDF Member

Port A. is about 200 miles from me. Maybe one of the Houston area guys might know something.

Old 02-01-2005, 04:19 AM
CSR
Advanced

Thanks Skip.

For those of you who don't have the DPH, here the shoot of the model K I was talking about

I've done some looking around and threre isn't anything close I've found, but the inverted fork are the closes. If I tinf the tree and mold in the head light that might give me the retro hot rod look I'm going for.

Old 02-01-2005, 08:57 AM
Ironhead
Stellar HDF Member

I seen a set of tins and headlight assembly sell on ebay.

That's 1 thing I don't like about mine, the not so appealing stock triple trees.

Old 02-05-2005, 02:08 AM
CSR
Advanced

I've had a problem logging in for a while, but I'm back. Well the guys name is Ron and he also goes by the Wicked Brothers. He seems like a great guy. I am getting a 99 XLH Sport, with dual plugs, dual front disk, and punched to 1340. I have to rebuild the front end, fix some fines, replace the foword controls woth regular controls (anybody have any have any laying around after putting on your foward controls?), and replace a few other parts. The bike was layed down on the left side and needs some work. So it's prefect for me.

I'm talking with Jason at Paughco, about getting either a mustang or Fat Bob tank without a filler and have a welded flush mount filler cap. So the saga begins, I'll put together a web page and post the link here so you guys can check up on the progress.

Cliff

Quick Reply: Pictures of old H-D's