Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pictures of old H-D's

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2005, 03:29 PM
Lev
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Pictures of old H-D's

Supposed to be a 1959 sportster,

Also see

http://images.google.co.uk/imgres?im...lr%3D%26sa%3DN

Wow thats a long link, but have a pic of a 59.

Check here for a list and pic of most Sportsters

http://images.google.co.uk/imgres?im...lr%3D%26sa%3DN

Hope this helps

Lev

Old 01-18-2005, 03:57 PM
Ironhead
Stellar HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That's a slick looking old bike there.

CSR, the early Sportsters did have a different take, and for the life of me, the name escapes me.

Here's a 57, that shows the different style tank

Old 01-18-2005, 10:50 PM
pococj
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,297 Likes on 484 Posts

Appreciate the thought, but I ride an FLST, affectionately known (except in Australia <G&gt as my Sloptail. The bike in my avatar was my first bike, '72 XLCH. I like the looks of the older Sporty frames, and also the small kickstart type of oil tank.

If you can find a pic of an older frame, you'll probably be able to see exactly what'll be needed to make the new frame at least look like the older version.

Old 01-19-2005, 03:25 AM
CSR
Advanced

Lev, That is SWEET. It's like somebody was reading my mind. If I could get a bike like that, I wouldn't want all the moderen features. I did see a 60 on eBay, but it's on the other side of the contry. I'm in the NW. That pic just became my desktop on my laptop.

Keep all the picturs coming guys, I find out something new with each one. I've got a feeling this is going to be some work. I'm glad I found this forum, you guys are great.

Cliff

Old 01-20-2005, 01:45 PM
Lev
Tourer

My personal dream bikes would be...

or my all time favourite the Mighty XLCR...

Thats if money was no object

Lev

Old 01-21-2005, 12:50 PM
CSR
Advanced

The first one is a flat tracker, right? There a classic looker. I've always loved the C model HD's. I've seen a few and thought about trying to find one or modify a regular sportster. I remember when I first saw "Old no.13", I was so hot to build one, I even talked to the guy in SF about building me a set of heads and sleeved for my version of the bike. it would have been around a 1350cc, but I had to dump the money into my studio and never got back into building the bike. If I found a Cafe model, it would be hard to pass up, plus their limited editions. But ironhead's thread got me thinking about the retro look and I want to see if I can pull it off. I've got a few pictures of some newer Sportsters and I'm working out what changes I need to do to give it the retro look. What I'm shooting for is a Sportster version of Chevy's SSR sport truck. Classic look and moderen features. I'd like to get an older Sport, but I just found out the brake and shifter are backwards on them. That would take a little getting use too.

Cliff

Old 01-22-2005, 10:39 PM
HDTom
Stage III

I ran across this page the other day. 47 years of sportsters....
It's so far incomplete but you can see quite a few old stock dportsters here.

http://motorcycles.about.com/cs/phot...fotoshd47a.htm

Old 01-23-2005, 02:08 PM
CSR
Advanced

Well it looks like I'll be lossing my loaner very soon, the kid's boss is going to loan him some money, not enough to pay it off but half and I'll give him back the bike. That money will go into a fund for my bike. I've been working on a battery drain problem on the bike and started to work on that side of the bike to figure out what I need to do to get the look I want. I need to either relocate it (it sticks out to far towards the engine) or find a smaller battery that will work to make a realistic looking wrap around oil tank. Any suggestion?

Old 01-26-2005, 02:13 AM
CSR
Advanced

I dam near torn my buddy's parts bike apart, really just the top half. With the way the frame in laid out, there is no way to get things to work the way I want. So I need to get a hold of a few old racing buddies. Two of the guys know frames inside out. I need to redo the frame to get everything to work out. Boy I'm lucky I've got a good friend that's a great welder. So the hunt begins for a mid to late 90's, probably a 883. I’ll punch it out to a 1200. Work out the frame and well I’m building the frame, I’ll build up the engine to a 1340 with dual plugs. So enough the fun will begin.

Old 01-30-2005, 05:31 PM
CSR
Advanced

I keep reading how much you guys love pictures, so here's a sketch of what I've been thinking of.

It's just a quicky, I was working more on the tank, seat and rear fender. I'm not sure what I want to do with the front fender and the drawings not prefect, but it's a good look at what I'm thinking of. I want more of a K style front end, I'll use cams instead of caps on the gas and oil tanks, make my own tail light and go digital for the instruments. I still need to work out the turn signals, but I think the sketch show I'm on the right path.

Let me know what you guys think.

Cliff

Quick Reply: Pictures of old H-D's