Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fat Boy front end on a Sportster

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2014, 08:47 PM
bluemsp4
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Fat Boy front end on a Sportster

I searched it and couldn't really find a lot of people who done it, only found a couple pic when I googled it.

How hard would it be to install one? Was thinking it would look pretty sweet on my Iron, like the beefy look of them.

Also is there anywhere that sells Fat Boy, Heritage style front ends, are they considered Softail front ends? I always wanted to get a springer, which I still like, but I really like the heavy duty tapered look..makes it look mean.

What width tire can you fit on them? Will 48 wheels and tires fit?

Anyone have any input or experience with putting one on a sportster?

Old 12-10-2014, 09:32 PM
kingxirol
Road Master
Received 34 Likes on 28 Posts
Originally Posted by bluemsp4
I searched it and couldn't really find a lot of people who done it, only found a couple pic when I googled it.

How hard would it be to install one? Was thinking it would look pretty sweet on my Iron, like the beefy look of them.

Also is there anywhere that sells Fat Boy, Heritage style front ends, are they considered Softail front ends? I always wanted to get a springer, which I still like, but I really like the heavy duty tapered look..makes it look mean.

What width tire can you fit on them? Will 48 wheels and tires fit?

Anyone have any input or experience with putting one on a sportster?
Check this out ...
http://xlforum.net/vbportal/forums/s....php?t=1593680

A little old but should give you enough info to start with.

Old 12-11-2014, 06:38 AM
bfd70
Cruiser
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I get that people like to tinker, but what's with the Frankenbikes? If you want a fatboy front end, sell your sportster on Craigslist, buy a fatboy on Craigslist, ride.

Old 12-11-2014, 08:14 AM
Proteus
Road Master
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by bfd70
I get that people like to tinker, but what's with the Frankenbikes? If you want a fatboy front end, sell your sportster on Craigslist, buy a fatboy on Craigslist, ride.
the guy just wants a reliable & nimble H-D with a beefy front end, what's the matter?

Old 12-11-2014, 09:34 AM
wachuko
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 72 Likes on 58 Posts
Talking

Because it looks frigging cool!

Old 12-11-2014, 10:25 AM
bluemsp4
Cruiser

I get that some people like to state their opinion, but sometimes the're pointless.

I like my sportster and if I only like the front end of a fat boy, why would I want to get a whole fat boy. Why not a sportster with a fat boy front end.

kingxirol I had read that post before and it does give a lot of good info, but the guy who posted it never followed up with how his conversion went on the new bike, which is what I would need for my '10 Harley.

Anyone have any idea what years of the fat boy front end would fit easiest on my '10 Iron?

The following users liked this post:
back again (01-08-2021)
Old 12-11-2014, 02:33 PM
wachuko
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 72 Likes on 58 Posts

Are you doing the whole front of the Fatboy with headlight cover and all or just the triple tree with the wider wheel?

Here is a video to keep you going:

Old 12-11-2014, 07:22 PM
bluemsp4
Cruiser

I really want the whole front end. The more I look I like the Road King nacelle a little more than the fatboy. They are the same front ends, just different nacelles/headlight covers?

Also would I be able to use my brake setup? What are all the parts I would need? Front end, wider wheel and tire and then use my stock brake setup?

Old 12-11-2014, 07:28 PM
NO PCKL
Road Warrior
Received 546 Likes on 304 Posts

So would it be a Sportboy of a Fatster..................

The following users liked this post:
leland gipson (01-06-2021)
Old 12-11-2014, 07:47 PM
bluemsp4
Cruiser

With me on it, it's would definitely lean more towards the fatster then the sportboy..haha

I've been looking a lot at them, could I just get a wide glide conversions and the cover it with the fatboy tins? Get a wide glide and then put these on it to make it look like the fatboy? Is that essentially what a fatboy front end is?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/301403054479...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

The features I like the most would be the beefier look but also the taper the forks have to them. How they are thicker up top and taper down.

Last edited by bluemsp4; 12-11-2014 at 07:50 PM.

Quick Reply: Fat Boy front end on a Sportster