Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Should I Be Concerned?

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2007, 05:04 PM
IronLegend
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Should I Be Concerned?

Last October as part of my winter storage procedure I changed the oil (3L of H-D Syn.) and filter then put it up on blocks in an unheated shed. When I rolled it out in March I pulled the dipstick to check the oil level and saw the oil tank was almost empty. I called three dealers in my area and all said that this was normal as the longer it sits the oil drains down and to start the engine and watch the oil level return to normal within a minute or so but one of them indicated that if the oil looked a bit milky in colour to stop the engine right away and change the oil. Well, I started it and watched the oil level rise and when it got close enough to the filler neck I could seeit did look a little light coloured but not really milky looking.

Can I ride it as is and expect that when the enginegets hot it will burn off any moisture or condensation there may be in the oil or should I change it again now before riding it? Tks.

BTW I have a 2003 883.

Old 04-14-2007, 05:15 PM
HOTLAP
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 389 Likes on 298 Posts
Default RE: Should I Be Concerned?

I'm sure it's fine due to the fact that it was fresh in the fall but I think I would drain it and add fresh just for piece of mind. If you did the filter in the fall I would not worry about changing it until your next oil change.

Old 04-14-2007, 05:21 PM
skipit
Ultimate HDF Member

All kinds of oil breaks down over time.. run it a bit and change it and the filter...

Old 04-14-2007, 09:25 PM
1200c
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yes, you can run it on the oil you put in before winter storage and that's exactly what I would do. That oil is perfectly fine.

You would definetly notice if the oil looked milky because then it doesn't look like oil at all. Light colored is normal for brand new oil. Brand new = light. Used oil = dark.

They are also right that the oil will sink down and the tank will look low/empty. The oil will return to the oil tank once the bike has run for a few minutes. DO NOT add any oil to the oil tank as you will overfill it and the bike will spit it out.

Old 04-14-2007, 10:11 PM
IronLegend
Tourer

Ok '1200c', what I'll do thenis when the weather here turns decent I will take it for aride to get things good andhot then check the oil colour again and hopefully it will not be the 'light whitish typecolour' it is now. Like I stated previously, the oil and filterare new, haszero miles onthem whatsoever so surely it can't have gone bad just sitting over the winter?? Anyway we'll give it a try and I'lllet everyone know how thisturns out, perhapsitmay help someone else sometime who experiences a similar thing.

Old 04-14-2007, 10:20 PM
cHarley
Club Member
Received 302 Likes on 231 Posts

If your bike was stored where the moisture level was high you may see a slight milkey color in the oil from moisture. This will usually clear up (burn off) after a good long ride.

Old 04-14-2007, 11:03 PM
More_Beer
Intermediate
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My service manual says to plug or pinch off the oil line to stop it from possibly seeping past the check valve and filling up the crankcase. sounds like this iswhat happened to you. I personally would drain it, it might make the engine work too hard trying to chug through all that oil.

Old 04-14-2007, 11:13 PM
SportyPig
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I dunno about winterizing my bike, but since this has come up, I remember someone earlier in the Spring making a comment that I would have never thought about.

That was: "Before you start the bike, disconnect the plug wires and hit the starter a few times. That will help pump the oil back up into the top of the motor. Then connect the plug wires and start the bike."

I don't really know for sure if that's sound advice, but it struck me as a good idea. So much so, that somehow, my feeble mind still remembers that comment.

Old 04-15-2007, 12:11 AM
Zeb
Road Master

ORIGINAL: IronLegend

Last October as part of my winter storage procedure I changed the oil (3L of H-D Syn.) and filter then put it up on blocks in an unheated shed. When I rolled it out in March I pulled the dipstick to check the oil level and saw the oil tank was almost empty. I called three dealers in my area and all said that this was normal as the longer it sits the oil drains down and to start the engine and watch the oil level return to normal within a minute or so but one of them indicated that if the oil looked a bit milky in colour to stop the engine right away and change the oil. Well, I started it and watched the oil level rise and when it got close enough to the filler neck I could seeit did look a little light coloured but not really milky looking.

Can I ride it as is and expect that when the enginegets hot it will burn off any moisture or condensation there may be in the oil or should I change it again now before riding it? Tks.

BTW I have a 2003 883.

[/align]You should definitely change the oil. The crankcase collects condensation after sitting for awhile unstarted in cold weather, and I believe that even Harley recommends changing the oil after winter storage, if I remember my owners manual right.[/align][/align][/align]As for "burning off condensation," what you are saying is that you're allowing your motor to run for awhilewith somewhat contaminated oil, asking it to act as an oil purifier and to clean itself over a period of time while it'srunning.[/align][/align]Huh?![/align][/align]Not really too smart of a thing to do to your Harley. It wasn't designed to be an oil-water separator/purifier, and it definitely wasn't designed to EVER run with clearlycontaminated oil; and moisture in the oilis contamination, especially when it's enough that itcan be clearly seen.[/align][/align]Some people may argue with this and try to use the 'oil and water don't mix' theory and say there won't be a problem, but ask them if you can poor a cup of water into their oil and if they will then drive around with it like that, and see if they really believe what they say.[/align][/align]I would most definitelychange the oil.[/align][/align]
[/align][/align]
[/align]

Old 04-15-2007, 04:54 AM
1200c
Road Warrior

My service manual says to plug or pinch off the oil line to stop it from possibly seeping past the check valve and filling up the crankcase. sounds like this is what happened to you. I personally would drain it, it might make the engine work too hard trying to chug through all that oil.
Once the oil has sunk down draining the oil will not remove it from the engine. The only place the oil drains from during an oil change is the oil tank. There is always some oil left in the sump and that is exactly where it has drained now. You are NOT going to get it out of there without cranking the engine.

That was: "Before you start the bike, disconnect the plug wires and hit the starter a few times. That will help pump the oil back up into the top of the motor. Then connect the plug wires and start the bike."
You can also put fogging oil into your cylinders to help start the bike after it has been sitting from a long time. It's suppose to help keep corrosion out and prevent scuffing the cylinder.

By the way, if you are still worried about the oil quality post a picture here and I will tell you if the oil is milky or not.

Quick Reply: Should I Be Concerned?