Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Vibration before Rubber Mounts?

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2007, 08:53 AM
anewharley
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Vibration before Rubber Mounts?

I looked a couple pages back here and am sure it's probably been done before but would like to know; is there a real noticable difference in the rubber-mounted engines vs not (and what year was that started in, 2004, right)? This would be my first bike and I've heard it either way. Any opinions? Which do you like better and why?

On a side note, carbed or EFI?

Thanks all!!=)

Old 04-14-2007, 09:40 AM
stevegray
Road Captain
Default RE: Vibration before Rubber Mounts?

[sm=deadhorse.gif]

I do not think the rigid mount bikes are bad at all. Mine is an '01 and I love the ride. I heard all the horror stories about vibration when I was shopping for the bike. I was going to buy a new 883. I saw the used 1200, so I test drove it to see if it vibrated my teeth out, and no it didn't. Very smooth fun ride, and I can even see out my mirrors.

If you do a search you will find several threads on the subject. I see a lot of 04+ owners posting threads complaining about vibration.
Get the bike you want, if you look at a used one ride it first.

Old 04-14-2007, 10:45 AM
jsned
Novice

I have rode both recently and I do think there is a difference, but it is not bad. Like Stevegray just said, I found a real good deal on a pre-rubber Sportster I just couldnt pass up and am very happy with it.

The difference is only at Highway speeds, and now that I have been riding it a little I dont notice it. I noticed it a little more the first time it got warm enough to ditch the gloves, so I am going to try the BAR SNAKE product which is suppose to cut down the vibes.

There are so many used bikes out there you shouldnt have a hard time finding what you want.

Old 04-14-2007, 10:45 AM
swenjj
Advanced

i have an 02 1200 and i dont notice the vibration with my body or hands, but the mirrors are just useless blurrs, i can see a car or something is behind me but thats it, maybe the color

Old 04-14-2007, 11:35 AM
diablo666
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have an 06 but had a 88.I wouldn't let the rubber mounts keep me from buying one without them.I actually wish mine wasn't rubber mounted because that is one more thing that can go bad eventually.I can't imagine what a rubber mount would cost.My engine looks like it is going to fall out of the frame at idle.My wifes 02 enginejust sits still waiting to pull out.The vibration is not that much different in my opinion.Buy the one you like for the price you like.

Old 04-14-2007, 12:59 PM
russkrs
Cruiser

Mines a hard mount and what is said above is true. It dosen't vibrate that bad, the only thing that is annoying is the mirrors

Old 04-14-2007, 02:03 PM
brauny1
Road Master

The best advice is a test ride, just like any other purchase. Your the one that has tolive with it and the only opinion thatmatters.Like most have said it's not bad, in fact, I prefer my 2000 xl1200c characteristics. EFI was recently introduce in 06 and I personally have no experience with iton Harley's, I can saymy carbed scootworks just fine.

Old 04-14-2007, 02:33 PM
bensonjv
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

04+ started rubber mounts. 07+ are EFI.

I think your assessment of how much they vibrate will be determined by your riding experience. I used to ride a Honda Magna with a 45 degree V-four. It was uber-smooth. By comparison my HD's do vibrate more than that. But The Harley vibration is not anything that makes riding unfun.

I can't speak to the rigid but on my 06's the only major vibration I experience is idling at a stop. But I don't spend a lot of time there so no biggie. Once rolling its fine. I don't have any excess vibration at highway speeds either. I have seen others comment on that. My guess is that those are simple wheel balance issues.

Carb'd or EFI? Either one works fine. Somewhat simplified..... Carb's can be adjusted by changing mechanical parts. EFI must be adjusted by changing variables in a computer program.

If you are a gear head you might go for carb'd bikes. They are simple to tune. Cost of parts is minimal and intelligence required is low. EFI will run the bike more efficiently. EFI will run better if you do a lot of major altitude changes while riding. EFI will allow you to fine tune the bike through the entire RPM range. Carb'd bikes can really only tune a best-case average. Tuning EFI usually costs a bit more. To tune an EFI bike requires either some time in the shop to reprogram or it requires you to invest in a tuner/fueler module to adjust the program.

Once you spend the initial investment on an EFI tuner and overcome the steep learning curve, EFI becomes a faster and much more efficient option. Tuning requires a couple minutes and a laptop computer. You don't even need tools.

Another benefit of EFI is cold starts. EFI bikes fire right up. Carb'd bikes require a choke and aren't always willing to start easily.

Having said all that I would not discourage you from any of them. Carb, EFI, rigid, or ruber mounted, if they are Harley, they are all good options and will put a smile on your face just the same. Just keep the shiny side up.

Old 04-14-2007, 03:24 PM
jwb47
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you are a gear head you might go for carb'd bikes. They are simple to tune. Cost of parts is minimal and intelligence required is low.

lmao thank you brother , but to clear things up parts arent cheap for carb'd bikes but my intelligence is low so mine goes real fast.[sm=joke.gif]

Old 04-14-2007, 05:05 PM
britbiker
Cruiser

I have ridden both & sure there is a difference but the mild vibration wouldn't have put me off buying one without rubber mountings. It seems to vary bike to bike, so try before you buy!

Quick Reply: Vibration before Rubber Mounts?