Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Coil issue

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2014, 04:47 PM
Schwann
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Coil issue

So been riding kind of hard and my rear plug wire will blow off the coil side. I relocated the coil back at the end of February. Used DK. Love it. Question being when this happens it blows off at the most inopportune times. Shocked myself pretty good riding in the rain and trying to get it back on.
Do I need new plug wires? I have switched the wires around and both are equally loose on the back coil connection. I'm guessing because both the wires work on the front and not on the back I may need a new coil? Can I wrap the post with tape to create a snug connection or is there a better way? Thank you in advance!

Old 11-13-2014, 06:46 AM
mrfikser
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts

you may be able to pull the spark wire boot back on the coil end and spread the part of the connector that goes into the coil a little so that it fits tighter into the hole in the coil..also are you sure you are getting the spark wire into the coil all the way until it bottoms out in the hole, make sure you pull the boot back before you stick the wire into the coil and then push the boot back over the coil tower..also some dialectric grease may help you get the coil wire into the coil tower connector..

Old 11-14-2014, 12:22 AM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor
Received 4,216 Likes on 2,452 Posts

Originally Posted by Schwann
So been riding kind of hard and my rear plug wire will blow off the coil side. I relocated the coil back at the end of February. Used DK. Love it. Question being when this happens it blows off at the most inopportune times. Shocked myself pretty good riding in the rain and trying to get it back on.
Do I need new plug wires? I have switched the wires around and both are equally loose on the back coil connection. I'm guessing because both the wires work on the front and not on the back I may need a new coil? Can I wrap the post with tape to create a snug connection or is there a better way? Thank you in advance!
I know exactly what you mean! No need for a new coil.

I was doing some drag runs and the same thing happened to me...Wires had been on the bike for several years. I fixed it in 3 minutes...just squeezed the connector (on the end of the wire that goes into the coil) with some needle nose pliers and put it back in. Have not had a problem since.

DKCustomProducts.com
Call/Text: 662-252-8828
Email: Support@DKCustomProducts.com

Old 11-14-2014, 01:04 AM
Schwann
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you gentlemen. I have added a little grease and crimped it back on. Seems like it's on pretty well now. I'll go blast around the block tomorrow before it snows and see how it works. Thanks again!