Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

89 pops out of Neutral when engine rev's

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2014, 11:08 AM
RicRides
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation 89 pops out of Neutral when engine rev's

I have a 89 Sporty Project that I have just about finished. I got it running and noticed that when I revved the engine rpm up, I heard the clutch teeth engaging and the tranny pops out of neutral into gear. I have the correct type and amount of primary case oil, I have done the clutch adjustment as per manual and videos at least twice. I have tried to adjust my primary chain, though I have not tried the audible method described in the forum (YET).

I got the bike as a basket case, looked like someone was building dragger, motor completely rebuilt and primary gasket was new, never touched oil. I pulled primary case to get access to starter bolts, so I could reroute the oil lines which where hanging out. I noticed the primary chain was tight when I put it back together and did the adjustment. Since then I have had the issue with neutral and shifting.

I have yet to ride this bike as I just got it running and ready to re-enter into DMV (NO PAPER, but soon). I dont want to get on it and drive a couples miles to only blow the tranny or screw the primary, any and all help is accepted.

Old 11-10-2014, 11:11 AM
RicRides
Intermediate

I have a facebook video with the exact noise the tranny makes, I hope this link works. scoll over to 5 min 10 seconds of the video and between 00:05:10 and 00:05:18 you will hear the noise it makes.

https://www.facebook.com/video.php

Old 11-10-2014, 11:13 AM
RicRides
Intermediate
Old 11-12-2014, 01:58 AM
Wi_Duker
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RicRides

This content is currently unavailable
The page you requested cannot be displayed right now. It may be temporarily unavailable, the link you clicked on may have expired, or you may not have permission to view this page.

Old 11-12-2014, 09:35 AM
RicRides
Intermediate

*** UPDATE**** Sorry about the video non play. I pulled the primary cover and checked tension plate and chain. Looks good. A little more history, this project was purchased a couple years ago and has not been run or even had oil in it for several years. The engine and primary looked as if they were rebuilt completely. I checked as best I could and for all intents and purposes there been no oil added to the engine since the rebuild.

I did complete adjustments to clutch and primary chain as per instruction in both the manual and videos linked to the poor mans repair manual. The tranny shifts without any loud or obvious mechanical noises, but I can not find neutral. Finding neutral is like finding a virgin in California. Anything I have missed short of pulling the clutch and tranny?

Old 11-12-2014, 05:41 PM
Wi_Duker
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RicRides
*** UPDATE**** Sorry about the video non play. I pulled the primary cover and checked tension plate and chain. Looks good. A little more history, this project was purchased a couple years ago and has not been run or even had oil in it for several years. The engine and primary looked as if they were rebuilt completely. I checked as best I could and for all intents and purposes there been no oil added to the engine since the rebuild.

I did complete adjustments to clutch and primary chain as per instruction in both the manual and videos linked to the poor mans repair manual. The tranny shifts without any loud or obvious mechanical noises, but I can not find neutral. Finding neutral is like finding a virgin in California. Anything I have missed short of pulling the clutch and tranny?
Primary chain adjustment. Too tight and you will have problems finding neutral. Also you can try turning the adjustment nut out less.

Old 11-13-2014, 09:04 AM
RicRides
Intermediate

I will give a try, again. I will also try a video to let someone hear what it sounds like when it pops out.

Old 11-13-2014, 10:24 AM
mrfikser
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts

does it pop out of gear into neutral or the other way around???

Old 11-13-2014, 01:10 PM
RicRides
Intermediate

it drops out of neutral when the engine revves, once out of neutral it very hard to find the to get back into neutral. It shifts fine with clutch but I just can seems to keep it in neutral or find it once it out.