Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1200 XLH Infrared Thermography

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2014, 07:02 PM
tree88
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

just saved that picture, labeled it "where to put my hands at a stoplight this winter"....

Old 11-12-2014, 04:12 PM
John Harper
HDF Community Team
Received 1,973 Likes on 1,345 Posts

I've heard that chrome holds heat in, which is why and "all chromed" engine is not advised. This was back when you could get chromed VW engine tins, and they were not recommended due to heat retention.

John

Old 11-12-2014, 05:30 PM
Madison Bill
Road Warrior

Received 1,031 Likes on 509 Posts

You are correct John Harper
Physics theory: Heat (electromagnetic energy) radiation rate, per unit of surface area, is proportional to the fourth power of the surface temperature. Heat radiation rate, per unit of surface area, is directly proportional to the emissivity characteristic of the surface. Emissivity = 1.0 (approx.) for a dull black surface; emissivity = 0.3 (approx.) Hence the rate at which heat is radiated from an engine block with a dull black surface might be roughly estimated as 3x the rate at which heat is radiated from an engine block with a shiny metal surface.
http://answers.google.com/answers/th...id/711843.html

Old 11-12-2014, 08:10 PM
Whoknew72
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for sharing!!!

Old 11-13-2014, 04:21 PM
Rollbar
Road Captain
Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Madison Bill
Physics theory: Heat (electromagnetic energy) radiation rate, per unit of surface area, is proportional to the fourth power of the surface temperature. Heat radiation rate, per unit of surface area, is directly proportional to the emissivity characteristic of the surface. Emissivity = 1.0 (approx.) for a dull black surface; emissivity = 0.3 (approx.) Hence the rate at which heat is radiated from an engine block with a dull black surface might be roughly estimated as 3x the rate at which heat is radiated from an engine block with a shiny metal surface.

That is why I lightly paint my Jeeps tranny coolers flat black and not leave then shinny aluminum.
Thanks for the info,
Jim

Old 11-15-2014, 04:17 PM
Harleycruiser
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by Madison Bill
That is very interesting, thanks for sharing.

Old 11-15-2014, 05:38 PM
Rollbar
Road Captain
Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

It would be nice to see this w/some lovejugs/fans blowing on the cylinders and see how accurate the sales pitch is about having fans on bike.

Old 11-15-2014, 06:39 PM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor
Received 4,221 Likes on 2,456 Posts

Great pics and information! Thank you for posting them up.

Do you have any thoughts on why the front cylinder is hotter than the rear...since it is more in the wind, it seems like the rear cylinder would be hotter than the front.

DKCustomProducts.com
Call/Text: 662-252-8828
Email: Support@DKCustomProducts.com

Old 11-16-2014, 06:19 AM
Madison Bill
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by DK Custom
Great pics and information! Thank you for posting them up.

Do you have any thoughts on why the front cylinder is hotter than the rear...since it is more in the wind, it seems like the rear cylinder would be hotter than the front.
After reading your post I loaded the images back into my software and did a comparison of temperatures of the two cylinders. I found the highest tempeature in the front cylinder to be 351.8 degrees and the rear 332.9 degrees. A difference of 18.9 degrees. I also reviewed the visible light image and noticed the outer bolts on both cylinders are a different color than the inner bolts on each side of the spark plugs. This finding leads me to believe that at least on my 1200 the outer edges of the cylinders run hotter than the inner areas. It would be interesting to know if this is normal on Harley engines.

Old 11-16-2014, 08:00 AM
Madison Bill
Road Warrior

To answer my own question about head bolt discoloration on outer edge bolts, I have found several photos on google that display the same thing. Keeping in mind that my bike is nearly 15 years old the photos I found are from the same era. I will have too start asking other Harley owners if I can take Infrared images of their bikes to see if the temperature difference is common on all engines. Any takers in the Madison Wisconsin area?

Quick Reply: 1200 XLH Infrared Thermography