Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wobble, can't figure it out.

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2014, 12:30 AM
Zanejjnelson1
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wobble, can't figure it out.

Ok guys the title kind of explains it all, I'm having a problem figuring out how to get rid of this damn wobble that I'm experiencing and I honestly don't know what to check to try and figure it out. We have some bad roads out where I live and I think a mean pothole that punched me in the spine may have knocked my wheel alignment slightly off?

1st and 2nd gear seem to be fine, however when I'm in 3rd right in the 2500-3200 range and I let got of the bars she starts shaking back and forth, which I find weird that 1st and 2nd dont really as opposed to just 3rd but I thought maybe 3rd just has more natural vibration than the other 2 and the bikes natural balance doesn't hold it together? mostly seems to be on deceleration also, but maybe a bit during acceleration but since I have a hand on the bar it doesnt seem to be too noticeable under acceleration.

I don't know its pissing me off and its my only transportation so I would have to make it a day of sitting at the dealership to see if they can figure it out. Ive heard that the rear suspension may sometimes be an issue that can affect this? The rims look perfectly fine, spokes good, front end doesn't visibly seem twisted or anything like that so I don't know. I think I'll have to bring it into the stealership.

2014 48.

Old 11-08-2014, 01:25 AM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor
Received 4,159 Likes on 2,422 Posts

Yep, check the spokes should be done, front and rear wheels.

Also fall away...neck bearing. This is probably the most common cause of what you are describing.

Next would be the swing-arm...too much flex there can cause the front in to shake.

The shake may not be so much a gear issue or rpm issue as a speed issue.

With a manual, checking/adjusting the neck bearing is a fairly easy task...no need to have it tied up at the dealership.

Old 11-08-2014, 05:01 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,864 Likes on 2,428 Posts

Neck bearings is where I would start. The only reason you need to visit your dealer is to get the factory service manual! Also check tyre pressures and wear.

Old 11-08-2014, 07:55 AM
IMJames
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Zanejjnelson1
and I let got of the bars she starts shaking
um...hang on to the bars then?

Old 11-08-2014, 08:02 AM
cHarley
Club Member
Received 301 Likes on 230 Posts

The bike is under warranty, why not let the dealer take care of the problem?

um...hang on to the bars then?
The bars shouldn't shake like that, your suggestion is to mask the problem?

Old 11-08-2014, 08:32 AM
twincam883883
Cruiser

Did you check your tire pressure? After that check neck bearing adjustment & then spokes.

Old 11-08-2014, 10:56 AM
1250sportster
Advanced
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Zanejjnelson1
Ok guys the title kind of explains it all, I'm having a problem figuring out how to get rid of this damn wobble that I'm experiencing and I honestly don't know what to check to try and figure it out. We have some bad roads out where I live and I think a mean pothole that punched me in the spine may have knocked my wheel alignment slightly off?

1st and 2nd gear seem to be fine, however when I'm in 3rd right in the 2500-3200 range and I let got of the bars she starts shaking back and forth, which I find weird that 1st and 2nd dont really as opposed to just 3rd but I thought maybe 3rd just has more natural vibration than the other 2 and the bikes natural balance doesn't hold it together? mostly seems to be on deceleration also, but maybe a bit during acceleration but since I have a hand on the bar it doesnt seem to be too noticeable under acceleration.

I don't know its pissing me off and its my only transportation so I would have to make it a day of sitting at the dealership to see if they can figure it out. Ive heard that the rear suspension may sometimes be an issue that can affect this? The rims look perfectly fine, spokes good, front end doesn't visibly seem twisted or anything like that so I don't know. I think I'll have to bring it into the stealership.

2014 48.
for me it was loose spokes and worn out tires that cause my wobble now if I could figure out whats causing my damn vibration

Old 11-08-2014, 11:01 AM
CAVSportster
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Tire pressure, tire, spokes, wheel, wheel bearings, fall away, alignment. Check it in that order and you'll find what the problem is!

Old 11-08-2014, 01:07 PM
Imold
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 4,629 Likes on 2,734 Posts

I doubt it's anything to do with the swingarm on a sporty, pretty solid with the spherical bearings. Don't know how many miles you have, but if the problem is recent, wouldn't think it was fall away; done right, that should be ok for a long time. A mean pothole could play havoc with spokes, even warp the rim. If you can lift the front wheel, spin it with something sitting next to the wheel, not quite touching the sidewall, so any wobble will be noticeable in the gap. If that tire moves more than an eighth of an inch from side to side, you might be feeling it on the road. Tap the spokes with a small screwdriver; any thumps instead of tings indicates a spoke that isn't torqued with the rest of them.

Most of the bikes I've ridden that had a handling problem were low on tire pressure, easy fix; but that usually isn't just a wobble, will get heavy and/or squirely feeling on corners, too. Let us know what you find, especially if it's something none of us mentioned. Good luck.

Old 11-10-2014, 08:29 AM
mrfikser
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

this a 2014 bike right??? it is prolly something simple such as tire pressure or rear wheel out of alignment...but seeing how it still under warranty, I would let the dealer fix it...that way the dealer can't blame you for fing it up...

Quick Reply: Wobble, can't figure it out.