Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help me keep my Sportster 1200 XL

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2014, 07:12 PM
Pb29590
Stage IV
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help me keep my Sportster 1200 XL

This is my first post. When buying a new car or bike, I always do a ton of research before posting and usually don't have to ask any questions bc almost everything has been gone over/answered already. The Internet is a great place. This is my third bike and I am on 22 cars thus far. I have done extensive research both on this and other boards about these issues beforehand (I assure you) and am almost ready to give up on this bike. I just came from a Kawasaki ZX9, and was looking for something more comfortable and just purchased a 2006 Sportster 1200 Low. I am having some serious issues with the ride and wanted to get some opinions. To start, I am 5'10", 210#'s. The ride is extremely uncomfortable. After riding for a half hour or so, my wrists hurt, as does my rear end, and I feel as if every bump I hit resonates throughout my entire body. I have had the rear shocks adjusted and there is no difference at either the lowest setting or the highest setting. I have considered a new seat (Badlander and Corbin- have not ruled out Mustang) to see if this helps with the rear end issue. I have read on this board that Road King shocks may fit, and was told today by a friend to look into progressive gas shocks as well. Any advice or feedback is greatly appreciated, my main concern is to be "comfortable". The bike is basically for leisure riding- not long distances. I have a car that I drive daily. Thanks again for your .02.
Peter

Last edited by Pb29590; 11-04-2014 at 05:32 PM.
Old 11-02-2014, 07:36 PM
Guzzi
Road Warrior
Received 105 Likes on 98 Posts

Corbin seats are as hard as a rock. After time they do break in, but after a number of years the foam gets dehydrated. Had one on a Kawasaki Concours, and Corbin wanted to redo the foam for $250. The Concours original seat was too soft and the Corbin WAY too hard.
I have Mustang wide Vintage seats on both my Sporty and Vulcan 1600.Bought the Sporty's seat for $100 with backrest off Craigslist. At that price I couldn't go wrong.
Mustang seats very firm at first, they allow me to ride all day long with no gripes. They provide great lower back support when used with a rear pillion. Hardly ever use the backrest it came with.
Recently did a quick 250 unplanned trip, and was still ready to ride some more.
The stock shocks on the sporty are terrible, especially with the factory seat. My next upgrade will be shocks. Their is a member selling HD Comfort Flex shocks in the classifieds. They are exceptionally springy and have good reviews on the HD parts site. For the price he's asking,you may want to give the shocks a try first.

Old 11-02-2014, 07:42 PM
crawrj
Tourer
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I have limited experience myself. I will say that I find my mustang seat incredibly comfortable. And it seems that the majority of people, at least the vocal ones, on this site endorse them with the same results. Shocks are also on my list. I am not sure yet whether I will go with progressive or touring air shocks. And new bars are also on the list. I think if you make those changes you will be very happy. Especially since you aren't doing really long distance riding. Although I think you would still be happy on really long rides also. I have only changed my seat so far, for comfort anyway, and I can ride at least 5 hours around town before I start to ache.

Old 11-02-2014, 07:47 PM
gusotto
Road Master
Received 56 Likes on 41 Posts

Mustang seat, upgraded shocks and polyurethane bushings are all helpers to the ride.

Old 11-02-2014, 07:55 PM
Pb29590
Stage IV

Ty both very much for the quick replies. I will definitely look into the Mustang seat over the Corbin. I have looked into the "HD Comfort Flex Shocks" and have heard that there is not too much of a difference. However, the price is certainly very reasonable. Thanks again and looking forward to more first hand opinions.

Old 11-02-2014, 08:27 PM
elfnyc
Road Warrior
Received 44 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by Pb29590
This is my first post. When buying a new car or bike, I always do a ton of research before posting and usually don't have to ask any questions bc almost everything has been gone over/answered already. The Internet is a great place. This is my third bike and I am on 22 cars thus far. I have done extensive extensive research both on this and other boards about these issues beforehand (I assure you) and am almost ready to give up on this bike. I just came from a Kawasaki ZX9, and was looking for something more comfortable and just purchased a 2006 Sportster 1200 Low. I am having some serious issues with the ride and wanted to get some opinions. To start, I am 5'10", 210#'s. The ride is extremely uncomfortable. After riding for a half hour or so, my wrists hurt, as does my rear end, and I feel as if every bump I hit resonates throughout my entire body. I have had the rear shocks adjusted and there is no difference at either the lowest setting or the highest setting. I have considered a new seat (Badlander and Corbin- have not ruled out Mustang) to see if this helps with the rear end issue. I have read on this board that Road King shocks may fit, and was told today by a friend to look into progressive gas shocks as well. Any advice or feedback is greatly appreciated, my main concern is to be "comfortable". The bike is basically for leisure riding- not long distances. I have a car that I drive daily. Thanks again for your .02.
Peter

what type of bars do you have ? maybe just get new bars to change the way your holding them - i have drag bars and they feel great - i also had mini apes from harley - the chisled ones to be exact - the apes hurt my shoulder as i had a very bad accident 2 years ago and i guess the way i healed i had to get rid of the apes sadly, but when i was in one piece they were great for comfort.. the drag bars now feel much better on my bones

as far as shocks the stock ones suck !!!
i removed them and got progressive 412s they were better but still always cringed when i seen potholes or bumps..

i just recently put street glide shocks on and i have to say i dont know why i waited so damn long -- as every1 says , its night and day change
it glides over bumps and holes , it feels like a differ bike altogether
u can ebay street glide shocks or touring shocks and get them cheap but be sure to get ones that have been plugged so u dont worry about oil leaking out..
im sure you will love them , i wish i did it sooner .. and u can always add or remove some air to get the comfort you want ..

Old 11-02-2014, 08:27 PM
Switchback12
Road Master
Received 125 Likes on 94 Posts

The shocks have very little travel, the price of the low look and low seat height. A shock length of 12.5" -13.5" will make a very big difference, many brands out there, progressive brand is popular perhaps because of their lower prices (or perhaps they can sell for less since they are so popular). I have used their 412 and 430 shocks and have been pleased. I have bought 4 mustang wide seats for various bikes over the years, hard to beat for comfort. The right bar placement has a lot to do with comfort for wrists and back. Get your seat first as different seats will change the distances to the bars. A mustang seat will often raise you up an inch over stock and back as well, at least has been my experience.

Old 11-02-2014, 08:33 PM
elfnyc
Road Warrior
Received 44 Likes on 38 Posts

ps when searching for street glide or touring shocks remember to check the length
if you get 13s you should get lowering blocks but that up to your preferance
depending how you want them just be sure to check length of them as 13 will raise your scoot a bit

you can get the shocks and lowering blocks cheap
i paid 55 bux for new 2014 shocks

Old 11-02-2014, 09:43 PM
Mick
Road Warrior
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Welcome to the forum.
There are many ways to tune your bike to your needs , whether physical limitations or comfort , or looks , there is always a way.
I looked up the specs on your bike which shows that the stock travel is 4.1" front , and 2.1" rear travel.
This make it nice for short , light people and a low height at stoplights.
The rear travel would be pretty brutal for most people on anything but a perfectly smooth road.
My 48 came that way , and I knew it going in so to speak.
The easiest thing to try first would be longer rear shocks , I run 1997 Electra Glide air shocks on mine.
My shocks are the # 54565-97 which are 12 7/8" , basically 13" eye to eye shocks.
These can be had cheap most anywhere because most people change to a shorter 12" street glide shock.
Here's a couple comparison pics for you to see.
Stock 11" shocks.

If you look at the reflectors , you'll see the difference in ride height.

13" Electra Glide shocks

This would give approximately 4.1" rear travel at the wheel , a big improvement.
I'm 5'6" and 170lbs suited up and run zero lbs pressure with a 1" rider sag , which gives me 3.1" compression travel and 1" extension travel.
These shocks can be had for 50-100 dollars most anywhere and are a big improvement in ride.
This was the single best comfort mod so far and the best bang for the buck that I've done.
Nice thing is that you can pump in a couple lbs for your weight and set them just right pretty easy with the harley touring air pump.
Mick

Old 11-02-2014, 09:54 PM
Pb29590
Stage IV

Invaluable information thus far- especially buying a seat prior to bars. I will research the length of the stock shocks further, as my bike being a "Low" I do want to raise the height a bit. It would also be nice to sit further back a bit as well. I have adjusted the height of the stock bars to help with this wrist issue and this did not seem to help much. I think I am just used to leaning forward like the last bike. Thanks again.

Quick Reply: Help me keep my Sportster 1200 XL