Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

mini ape install

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2014, 02:11 AM
Michael Ficken
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I plan on putting them on monday. I also have some saddle bags coming for it. I have the ability to do it, I just figured if it was cheap I would pay them to do it. I found out really fast it is not cheap. So I will dive into it head first. I am far from scared to accomplish this, I just don't have the time to do it. I have a full kit for the cables. I have new brake, clutch, throttle cables. I also have the wiring extensions. The guy gave it to me with the purchase. The dealer replaced all the cables when they put it on. He changed to 16' apes, so none would work for him. The bike he bought was the dealer showcase bike of what could be done. The cables almost look like they are carbon fiber. I might switch all over to those. Haven't decided yet

Old 10-27-2014, 11:59 PM
Michael Ficken
Advanced

Ok, got bars on but have a couple of questions. I am having some issues with the wiring. I need to extend my wiring by about 4 inches. See attached pics. I have found this splice cable on the forum. Have any of you guys used it. It looks like it would be super easy, just plug and play. It is $60 from harley, but no wiring no messing with it. Just plug both ends up and no cutting or anything. I like it. I also when removing my brake lever missed in the book where it said caution put a piece of card board in the brake line. (In big red letter). When putting back together my brake side. I noticed a little piece of metal in a half moon shape. What is it, where does it go? I don't know if it was on the ground the garage or it came from somewhere? I put a pic of it, does anybody know what it is? I watched a bunch of videos, read through the manual. I can't find any reference to it. Besides that, it was fun. It did take a long time, mostly just do to me taking my time. I changed throttle cables, brake cable, and now wire extensions. Clutch cable will be next. It is long enough, so I will wait until my service to do that one.

Attached Thumbnails mini ape install-img_1920-3.jpg   mini ape install-img_1921-3.jpg   mini ape install-img_1922-3.jpg   mini ape install-img_1923-2.jpg   mini ape install-img_1931.jpg  

Old 10-28-2014, 12:01 AM
Michael Ficken
Advanced

More pics, last pic is for size reference

Attached Thumbnails mini ape install-img_1932-2.jpg   mini ape install-img_1933.jpg  
Old 10-28-2014, 02:57 AM
mreed
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I never use the piece of cardboard for the brake light switch. I always forget...but I've never damaged the switch.

That little piece looks like the contactor for your screw-in throttle lock. It goes inside your throttle housing. It's the actual part that pushes against your grip when you use that thumb screw deal.

Old 10-28-2014, 07:49 AM
Michael Ficken
Advanced

That makes perfect sense. I didn't think about that. I know exactly where it goes. Thank you for the reply.

Old 10-28-2014, 11:30 AM
CAVSportster
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That wire extension works perfectly and the best part is that there's no hassle with cutting and soldering. I made my own harnesses, cost me about $12 for the terminals and housing. That save me at least an hour of install time.

Old 10-28-2014, 01:38 PM
Michael Ficken
Advanced

All done. Looks great and feels even better! Also added some mini floor boards while I was working on it. Next step saddle bag install. Should be fun. Looks a lot easier. Lol. I just got the bags from Viking yesterday. Wow great quality. I am really happy with them. They will be awesome for the bike. Great match and great function.