Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

metal flakes in oil....

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2014, 08:06 PM
Scuba10jdl
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 209 Likes on 171 Posts

Originally Posted by Hal64hd
Does anyone know where can I order a magnet for brass and aluminum?
That's because they don't exist. Brass (copper and zinc) and aluminum are what is known as non-ferrous metals. Containing no ferrous metals, they are not and never will be magnetic.

As for OP. I'd be more than willing to bet it's not a problem. Considering you mixed the oils, most of the metal is probably from your primary/trans. The clutch wears a lot. I'm always seeing particulate on my magnetic drain plug (especially more so now that I just installed a new Energy One clutch). That's why it's there.

Did you drain plug look like the picture below or worse? I've seen more than twice the particulate as this on my own bike and not had a concern. Just last night I had the plug out and fluid changed and I had probably 3x as much metal as this. It was all small and fuzzy. As long as it's not hard chunks of metal or sharp particles, you're more than likely ok. Fuzz and small bits are perfectly normal.

metal flakes in oil....-3ekzl9sl.jpg

Old 10-16-2014, 08:57 PM
cvaria
Supporter
Received 2,201 Likes on 1,687 Posts

Originally Posted by Scuba10jdl

That's because they don't exist. Brass (copper and zinc) and aluminum are what is known as non-ferrous metals. Containing no ferrous metals, they are not and never will be magnetic.

As for OP. I'd be more than willing to bet it's not a problem. Considering you mixed the oils, most of the metal is probably from your primary/trans. The clutch wears a lot. I'm always seeing particulate on my magnetic drain plug (especially more so now that I just installed a new Energy One clutch). That's why it's there.

Did you drain plug look like the picture below or worse? I've seen more than twice the particulate as this on my own bike and not had a concern. Just last night I had the plug out and fluid changed and I had probably 3x as much metal as this. It was all small and fuzzy. As long as it's not hard chunks of metal or sharp particles, you're more than likely ok. Fuzz and small bits are perfectly normal.
Yeah. The plug was clean as a whistle and the oil coming out primary was still clear. Not dirty brown\black. Im use ti seeing little fuzzies on the magnetic plug... Thats not alarming. The silvery mess that was in the pan was horrific. Shards and silver flakes like a bottle of Goldschläger.

But in all fairness. This is the first time ive ever changed the oil with a headlamp on. So light was bouncing off every thing in the oil pan. It may have been there every other time but, i never noticed.

I'm assuming that oil in the bag goes to the filter but i wondering if that crap would clog the pump on the way to the filter.

Im going to do what charley suggested and, if the bike doesnt explode into diamonds on my trip i'll draing the oils separately and send off a sample to blackstone. If it does explode..... I will limp it to the nearest mcdealer and trade it in on a smurf big wheel

Last edited by cvaria; 10-16-2014 at 09:02 PM.
Old 10-16-2014, 09:08 PM
cvaria
Supporter

I may be freaking myself out but I'm thinking that the shards came from all this racket months ago.

Chatter:

Hot chatter:

Old 10-17-2014, 12:33 AM
Hal64hd
Road Master

Received 39 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by Scuba10jdl

Can't even joke around without someone taking it seriously anymore.
I was just making a point that not all metals can be checked with a magnet.

Old 10-17-2014, 05:51 AM
fissco1234
Road Master
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I think I would be more concerned if I heard pieces of metal hitting the bottom of my catch pan.

Old 10-17-2014, 09:10 AM
Kenny94945
Stellar HDF Member
Received 388 Likes on 325 Posts

I'd also venture not to worry.
Slivers are normal. Chunks not so normal.

As for your 2000 mile trip, not knowing your time line, you have two options:
1) Oil analysis to identify the metal type.
2) Redrain the oils and see if there is any metal this second time.

If there is metal, then decide whether to make your trip, yet again hopefully your concern was normal shavings and you are good to go.

Old 10-17-2014, 09:23 AM
cvaria
Supporter

Originally Posted by Kenny94945
I'd also venture not to worry.
Slivers are normal. Chunks not so normal.

As for your 2000 mile trip, not knowing your time line, you have two options:
1) Oil analysis to identify the metal type.
2) Redrain the oils and see if there is any metal this second time.

If there is metal, then decide whether to make your trip, yet again hopefully your concern was normal shavings and you are good to go.

I think having on the headlamp during the later part of the change(sun went down and bike was not in garage) may have added to the drama of the situation. i probably would not have noticed otherwise.

may have been a blessing and a curse.