Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wheel Bearing Puller / Tool

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2014, 10:51 AM
DavidStiebel
Road Warrior
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts
Default Wheel Bearing Puller / Tool

Anyone have any unique tools for a wheel bearing removals?
I've see allot of standard tools on the net but what else is out there or in someones head that worked?

Regards,

Old 09-29-2014, 06:48 PM
jag1886
Elite HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Yes it's called my local Indy, they will do it for a small fee and you don't have to buy a tool you'll use once.

Old 09-30-2014, 04:21 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,861 Likes on 2,426 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by jag1886
Yes it's called my local Indy, they will do it for a small fee and you don't have to buy a tool you'll use once.
That's how I do mine too!

Old 09-30-2014, 04:34 AM
4_stroke
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You don't need a special tool, you need a drift. Move the inner spacer tube out of the way and tap the bearings out.

The following users liked this post:
Mr_Taipan (05-04-2016)
Old 09-30-2014, 05:55 AM
Rog48
Elite HDF Member
Received 42 Likes on 38 Posts

When I was doing a lot of wheel/tire swapping on my projects I got the harbor freight one. Think I used it 4 times in my swapping frenzy Cheap tool that Ill always have and never have to go anywhere to get it done.

Old 05-04-2016, 07:45 AM
Mr_Taipan
Road Master
Received 43 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by 4_stroke
You don't need a special tool, you need a drift. Move the inner spacer tube out of the way and tap the bearings out.
I've been wondering about that. I keep hearing it has to be done with a puller but couldn't work out why you couldn't knock them out with a drift? I've got front and rear to do so hope that is the case?

Old 05-04-2016, 08:50 AM
TStephen
Road Warrior
Received 299 Likes on 258 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr_Taipan
I've been wondering about that. I keep hearing it has to be done with a puller but couldn't work out why you couldn't knock them out with a drift? I've got front and rear to do so hope that is the case?
You can't use a drift, at least not on mine. The inner portion of the hub is not as large as the bearing race seating area. From the reverse side, the back of the bearing race is not accessible.

I tried the cheap Harbor Freight puller and broke two of them before coming up with the solution.

I took a cheap pair of large pliers from HF and redneck machined a reverse hook on the back side of the plier jaws. Then I placed the pliers up in the wheel hub, hooked the jaws over the back side of the bearing race and using a long hardwood "punch" from the other side, drove the punch into the center of the pliers and drove the bearing race out.

The only thing you need to insure is that the notches you make in the back of the plier jaws are large enough to grab the bearing race, but not deep enough that the plier jaws score the inner face of the hub.

Worked like a charm and cost about $4.99 at HF for the pliers. Pluse I can still use them as normal pliers.

The following 3 users liked this post by TStephen:
Mr_Taipan (05-04-2016), Ratwerke (05-04-2016), Von_Zipper (05-04-2016)
Old 05-04-2016, 09:15 AM
Mr_Taipan
Road Master
Received 43 Likes on 37 Posts

That's superb!

I was thinking you must be able to get a collet/mandrel in there and was looking at something like an expanding anchor bolt. Then I thought I might go all upmarket with a kit like the one below if it fits? Or, {{{shudder}}} pay my local indy to swap them out!

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/5pc-Blind-...8AAOSw5VFWGhPW

Old 05-04-2016, 09:24 AM
TStephen
Road Warrior
Received 299 Likes on 258 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr_Taipan
That's superb!

I was thinking you must be able to get a collet/mandrel in there and was looking at something like an expanding anchor bolt. Then I thought I might go all upmarket with a kit like the one below if it fits? Or, {{{shudder}}} pay my local indy to swap them out!

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/5pc-Blind-...8AAOSw5VFWGhPW

Thx man! It's been said that necessity is the mother of invention, but I believe desperation is the real mother of invention. After breaking two bearing pullers and as it was getting late on a Saturday, desperation provoked some inspiration and, BAM!

I don't mind giving my local indy $ (better them than the stealership) for things I can't do, but paying for something you can do yourself is like giving money away.

Mr_Taipan (05-04-2016)
Old 05-04-2016, 10:23 AM
Imold
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 4,626 Likes on 2,733 Posts

I use a Pit Posse, a style of puller made by several different companies, from around $80 to a couple hundred, and has the parts to fit all Harley axle sizes. Harley bearings are usually real tight, tighter than a cheap slam hammer puller can handle. Any method that doesn't produce a straight pull will gall the sides of the wheel bore at least slightly, and enough repeats of this and you'll get a loose fitting bearing - that's the end of the wheel. I realize most folks won't change bearings enough to reach that point, and I probably won't either; still something I'm willing to spend a little on, though.

I also put the bearing in the freezer before installing and coat the outer race and wheel bore with a film of anti seize, just makes it a bit easier.

With the right puller/installer you can relax and let your grandkid do it, too, after he's put a new tire on.

Mr_Taipan (05-04-2016)

Quick Reply: Wheel Bearing Puller / Tool