Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

whats the deal with the fuel low light

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2007, 10:59 PM
diablo666
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: whats the deal with the fuel low light

That kinda sucks for you people that you have the light instead of reserve.Us unfortunate carbed folks still have a reserve to get us to the next gas station.Lol.You can't go by mileage either because if you jump on it a bunch it can go from 48 to 24.I know mine can.I can get into the throttle alot at times though.

Old 04-11-2007, 09:56 AM
SportyPig
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Poor Poor Guys.....NO PETCOCK.....what a pitty [sm=smiley21.gif]

Old 04-11-2007, 10:10 AM
mark1957222
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sound like the sensor is just poorly designed. Harley is probably getting lots of complaints and it will probably be redesigned and fixedon the 08 models. Everyone should complain to the dealers if something doesn't work as it should, that ishow the company gets feedback and can correct the designs.

Mark

Old 04-11-2007, 12:14 PM
dhc8guru
Tourer

for me it is not the end of the world.. because I go by mileage. I just find it qwerky and I understand that the light is more for a ding-a-lingreminder that you are nearing the end of your fuel. My Yamaha Majesty scooterhas a digital fuel guage with a low fuel indicator that flashes the fuel gauge andwhen it is triggered it automaticallychanges over the trip mileage indicator to the "F" mileage indicator which is now counting how many miles you have traveled since the low fuel indicator was activated.
Every motorcycle and car manufacture need Yamaha's fuel indicator design, because it is bang on accurate and very useful.

Old 04-11-2007, 03:02 PM
bospider01
Cruiser

ive already had my sensor replaced due to the intermitten light. its come on after riding 20miles on a fresh tank. doesnt matter how i fill up the tank, how i start it, none of that matters. its either faulty wiring or poorly made sensors. everything else is just specualtion. i even tried standing on my head with a finger in my nose while singing the star spangled banner... made no difference. still came on after 58 miles.

Old 04-11-2007, 06:14 PM
SportyPig
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

ORIGINAL: mark1957222

Sound like the sensor is just poorly designed. Harley is probably getting lots of complaints and it will probably be redesigned and fixedon the 08 models. Everyone should complain to the dealers if something doesn't work as it should, that ishow the company gets feedback and can correct the designs.

Mark
Obviously, from a person with little experience with "The MoCo" They still have design problems that customers have been complaining about since 2004. Usually they just pretend to have never heard of that problem before....B.S.

Just as an example...oh...lets see...The battery cover problems comes to mind. (Although, they might have finally fixed that one. I haven't heard of anyone complaining about that on an 07)

Old 04-11-2007, 08:46 PM
user 37474839
Banned
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Yeah me too. With the 07, I don't have a reserve petcock and last fall it took almost 2 months for my dealer to get a replacement low fuel sensor. It kinda pissed me off because these new sensors were on backorder yet they were still producing new 07's with the same component daily in KC?

Anyway, I ended up having the dealer put the tank back on once they told me it was on backorder like that..I ran a while with neither and that was fine, just watched my mileage.

I think there may be a design issue with the 07 sensors - mine failed within a few months and most don't seem very accurate. Regardless, even with a new LFI that works properly I still watch the mileage primarily as an indicator for refueling.

ORIGINAL: dhc8guru

for me it is not the end of the world.. because I go by mileage. I just find it qwerky and I understand that the light is more for a ding-a-lingreminder that you are nearing the end of your fuel. My Yamaha Majesty scooterhas a digital fuel guage with a low fuel indicator that flashes the fuel gauge andwhen it is triggered it automaticallychanges over the trip mileage indicator to the "F" mileage indicator which is now counting how many miles you have traveled since the low fuel indicator was activated.
Every motorcycle and car manufacture need Yamaha's fuel indicator design, because it is bang on accurate and very useful.

Old 05-07-2008, 09:58 AM
karaokeman
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have an 08 - 883 with the 3.2 gal tank - The "book" say's the light should come on with .8 gal left in the tank -
Last week light came on at 84 mi and I was able to put 1.57gal to fill it up. This week similiar sitiuation.
I'm not too comfortable YET in just going on mileage as the bike has only 400 miles on it and really just getting broken in. I'm sure to have the dealer look at it at the 1000 mi service.

With a full tank (3.2gaL) on an 883 riding mostly 2 laners ---what is a realistic miles before fuel expectation?

Old 05-07-2008, 11:52 AM
StargazerXT12
Road Warrior

ORIGINAL: tcsblues

My 07 883 Custom does the same.I thought maybe I was getting terrible mileage or a gas leak.
Thats intersting, the low fuel light on my 07 883c comes on at about 120 miles.

Old 05-07-2008, 12:04 PM
birdman96
Intermediate

08 Nightster so far with 1100 miles on it

Lowest the light has come on 75 miles
Highest the light has come on 90 miles

Usually its about 85 miles.

I have gone 103 miles max before getting gas so far. I put about 2.6ish gallons in that time with the bike on the stand not upright.

Is about 40 miles per gallon a good estimate if you are conservative on the throttle?

Quick Reply: whats the deal with the fuel low light