Green Chili Run 5

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2014, 12:14 PM
Erbie
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TexasBowhunter
hey captain
Thought I would chime in here and say this...I had asked several years ago to the members here as to what roads in Arkansas were the best roads to ride and take in and a lot of the them offered...When I was looking at the web page I noticed that all the roads that were recommended were on the various routes so I made a map to put into my GPS on those routes which was offered...

Looking to see you again
paul
Would have been nice to see what hotel has that web page of the motorcycle map to see.

Old 04-11-2014, 01:37 PM
captainjohn
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Erbie
Would have been nice to see what hotel has that web page of the motorcycle map to see.
http://www.edelweissinn.com

The web page also notes having other maps available at the hotel.

The owners are GWRRA and AMA members. They said the have several more maps or brochures in office.

Paul, it will be nice to see you again too!

Last edited by captainjohn; 04-11-2014 at 01:51 PM.
Old 04-12-2014, 09:25 AM
nevada72
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 26,127 Likes on 12,200 Posts

Those are some great routes. Not a lot of people know about Hwy 90 to Noel (Rt 3). That's an ambitious ride. With stops and all I would be surprised if one could do it in under 10 hours. But it will be a fun 10 hours. The Wooden Spoon in Gentry is a great place for a lunch break.

Of note - those routes have a glaring omission - Rt 123 through Mt Judea (pronounced "Judy"). Probably the most technical ride in the area, and a well known rider's road. It would be a shame to miss it. Also hwy 215 and 103 down by Oark (you would pick up 215 at the south end of the Pig Trail/hwy 23). The general Store used to be a good place to eat. Last time I was there it was under new ownership and not great. Not bad, but not great. Lots of riders still make it a stop though. If you do go there, head south on 103 (great switchback mountain route hardly anyone knows about) and gas up in Clarksville. Not a lot of gas stations to the north and east. The pump in Oark is unleaded only - no premium.

I just got back from that area yesterday. Unfortunately my Dad is ill so it wasn't a touring visit per se, but I did take the bike. I managed to get a nice scenic ride on the way home. Instead of taking the interstate to St Louis and then home, I took back roads. One of them, US Hwy 160 between Branson and Doniphan was a particularly nice surprise. I would rank it as one of the best roads I've ridden.

With any luck I'll make a return visit and get in some miles with you guys in June. It will be a great time - rest assured.

Old 04-12-2014, 10:24 PM
Erbie
Tourer

Bowhunter;;; AR 10 going west out of Ola Arkansas almost to Oklahoma, Hwy 71, is a great biking ride, or at least a couple of days ago it was. May not be much for you being from Texas and all, but it is nothing but ranches far apart, lots of cows on the range, nice roads and all. I live in Hot Springs and went there, 1st time about 240 miles round trip. More of a challenging hwy is 7 until you get to Hwy 10, with all of 7's cruves, been all the way up on 7 and took the ferry across Bull Shoals into Missouri a few times. But taking the ferry, I don't know if it exists today, it is on the map, but I won't tell you it is there until I actually see it again and it has been quite a few years since the last time I rode on it, brought my brand new 1974 FX Superglide across on it from Chicago, did that a few times.

Old 04-12-2014, 11:58 PM
hoghead5150
Advanced

lots of nice rides up around eureka. don't miss out going south around ozark, it's pretty dang nice there also. just be careful some of those roads are pretty curvy! we go up to eureka several times a year, and i can't count how many wrecks we have seen. most of them tho are idiots!!

if your gonna stay at the trails inn, try and get the rooms "around the side on the bottom"!! covered parking, quiet, and you can basically party without disturbing anybody else. that is where we stay every year for the VW car show.

Old 05-16-2014, 07:41 AM
billnourse
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 43 Likes on 36 Posts

Can we get a head count on who is signed up to make this ride? Time is getting close.

Bill

Old 05-17-2014, 07:51 AM
TexasBowhunter
Road Warrior
Received 27 Likes on 10 Posts

I'm made my reservations
paul

Old 05-17-2014, 02:55 PM
Erbie
Tourer

Originally Posted by billnourse
Can we get a head count on who is signed up to make this ride? Time is getting close.

Bill
Where is this "Green Chili Run" do you have to belong to something first or what. I don't know anything of it. If it is close to Arkansas, Louisiana, Mississippi or easternTexas good chance of taking that trip, would have to think about it, if is is Missouri because there are a few miles between me and Missouri but Missiouri has some good roads too.

Old 05-17-2014, 11:13 PM
billnourse
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 43 Likes on 36 Posts

Where is this "Green Chili Run" do you have to belong to something first or what. I don't know anything of it. If it is close to Arkansas, Louisiana, Mississippi or easternTexas good chance of taking that trip, would have to think about it, if is is Missouri because there are a few miles between me and Missouri but Missiouri has some good roads too.
If you read through this thread you will find all the answers. There is nothing to belong to. This is just a ride that forum members do at different locations each year. This year we are going to be in Eureka Springs on June 15 and start riding around the area on the 16th thru 19 or 20th. All info on rooms, etc. are in this thread. Everyone is welcome.

Bill

Old 05-18-2014, 04:37 PM
Erbie
Tourer

Originally Posted by billnourse
If you read through this thread you will find all the answers. There is nothing to belong to. This is just a ride that forum members do at different locations each year. This year we are going to be in Eureka Springs on June 15 and start riding around the area on the 16th thru 19 or 20th. All info on rooms, etc. are in this thread. Everyone is welcome.

Bill
I been planning on going there I thought that was the Arkansas Bucket List, got it screwed up somewhere somehow, sorry for bothering you. Man I got things messed up somewhere somehow.

Quick Reply: Green Chili Run 5