Looking for a decent day ride from Houston

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2013 | 08:25 AM
Dark Knight
|
Road Captain
Default Looking for a decent day ride from Houston

Hi guys,

Business is taking me out to Austin in a couple of weeks. I'm planning on heading out there a few days early and staying in the Galveston area. I'd like to rent a Street Glide from the HD dealer in Pasadena but have no clue on what roads are good in the area.

Ideally, I'm thinking of heading east or north/east perhaps to Louisiana. It'll be an 8 hour rental so I'll need to be back by the time they close.

Any suggestions on routes or roads I should hit?

Old 01-22-2013 | 09:16 AM
dan conner
Ultimate HDF Member

if i were going out a few days early, i would head to austin and ride the texas hill country. the texas coast is flat and not very pretty...especially this time of year. an 8 hour rental will get you to louisanna and then you will need to turn around and go back to galveston. as far as going to the beach in february, the water temp. will probably be in the 50's and soaking up the rays probably is not going to happen.

Old 01-22-2013 | 10:12 AM
Dark Knight
|
Road Captain

Thanks for the comments Dan.

We'll be staying in Austin for business the rest of the week so we thought we would spend one night in San Antonio then head over to Galveston since there is some Mardi Gras festival going on there. Hence, wanting to launch from an HD dealer near there.

Old 01-22-2013 | 03:33 PM
UltraNutZ
Extreme HDF Member

i replied to your other post.

Old 01-22-2013 | 06:30 PM
Dark Knight
|
Road Captain

Originally Posted by UltraNutZ
i replied to your other post.
just saw that - thanks for the suggestion.

I think I'm gonna do what Rosie never did and listen to Dan Conner. Going to change my itinerary so that I'm in San Antonio for two nights. That way I can rent a bike from Cowboy's and head into Hill Country..

Old 01-22-2013 | 08:49 PM
formike56
Club Member

Three sisters is a good day ride from S A. You'll ride some of the finest roads to get there. Stop at OST restaurant in Bandera for breakfast. Best in that part of the country. When you get thru with 3 Sisters. SA has the riverwalk for Mardi Gras. Enjoy the ride and your stay in SA. A good place to eat in SA is Pico De Gallo. Just off IH35. Enjoy it.

Last edited by formike56; 01-23-2013 at 11:06 AM.
Old 01-22-2013 | 08:55 PM
Jarhead Red
Tourer

I live in Houston dude. Get your ridin' in in San Antonio! You can find some *OK* roads around here but as previously stated they are pretty flat and don't last long usually.

The Hill country is the place to be!

Old 01-23-2013 | 06:25 AM
UltraNutZ
Extreme HDF Member

i agree on the Hill Country.

Old 01-23-2013 | 06:30 AM
Juan L

With an 8 hour rental you're limited on distance. Try the coast road, HWY 35. Not much scenery but you will see a bunch of migrating birds once you get past Alvin. If you had more time, east Texas is only a couple of hours away but you have to go around the city to get there, HWY 59 north.

Old 01-23-2013 | 06:51 AM
rpbrown
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by formike56
Three sisters is a good day ride from S A. You'll ride some of the finest roads to get there. Stop at OST restaurant in handers for breakfast. Best in that part of the country. When you get thru with 3 Sisters. SA has the riverwalk for Mardi Gras. Enjoy the ride and your stay in SA. A good place to eat in SA is Pico De Gallo. Just off IH35. Enjoy it.

I agree with all of this. Have fun

Quick Reply: Looking for a decent day ride from Houston