Southwest Arizona | New Mexico | Oklahoma | Texas

Governor vetoes lane splitting bill!

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2010, 08:51 PM
rshute4
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Governor vetoes lane splitting bill!

The governor vetoed probably the second best piece of legislation that would benefit riders in Arizona. (were still waiting for a right of way law) How would allowing bikes to lane split when traffic is at a stand still, hurt anyone? The only people its going to hurt now is riders of every kind of bike. A harley stuck in 110+ degree heat on the baking freeway (probably about 120+ with gear on, is NOT A GOOD THING!

if you would like to voice your opinion make sure you call and write to Jan Brewer.

The full mailing address is:
The Honorable Jan Brewer
Governor of Arizona
1700 West Washington
Phoenix, Arizona 85007

Telephone (602) 542-4331
Toll Free 1-(800) 253-0883
Fax (602) 542-1381

to read more, visit www.azbikerinfo.com for all the latest news, events, pictures, and videos!

Old 05-12-2010, 11:59 PM
ken b
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Honestly, I see no need to split lanes. Cagers pull out in front of bikes that are in the lane by themselves as is. I think this would just lead to more bikers getting hit by people that don't see em. I figure it's like helmets, if someone wants to wear it fine, but the government shouldn't tell them they have to. The only stipulation I have is if a guy spalters his head accross the pavement, that was his choice. I don't want to foot the bill.

Old 05-13-2010, 12:08 AM
BLKBAGGER
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by ken b
Honestly, I see no need to split lanes. Cagers pull out in front of bikes that are in the lane by themselves as is. I think this would just lead to more bikers getting hit by people that don't see em. I figure it's like helmets, if someone wants to wear it fine, but the government shouldn't tell them they have to. The only stipulation I have is if a guy spalters his head accross the pavement, that was his choice. I don't want to foot the bill.
I am wondering where you live. Have you ever been caught in 120* temps on Harley in traffic? Lane splitting is pretty safe if done right. It's legal here and I only do it if traffic is stopped as my commute is real early so i don't see the traffic most do. It should be legal EVERYWHERE.

Old 05-13-2010, 01:07 AM
joe.1955
Stellar HDF Member
Received 77 Likes on 47 Posts

The law was only supposed to apply to very largely populated counties and Maricopa was the only one that it would have been legal to lane split.

I'd rather see it become a statewide law.

With the drivers we have here in the valley, I would be hesitant to lane split unless the traffic was at a near standstill - or stop and go at 5-10 mph. There are just too many people that will rapidly change lanes with no signal or warning just to get one car closer to where they are going.

More than once I've been caught in that type of traffic with temps. over 100 degrees and it's no fun. It would be nice to have the option to lane split.

It still wouldn't be legal to split lanes in traffic at higher speeds - and that would be suicidal here.

If lane splitting was to become legal, it would be an option - no one says you would have to do it.

I personally feel more at risk sitting in stalled traffic, because of the people that run right up on my rear tire to keep someone from getting in front of them - and because of the people suddenly deciding they want to be in my lane with me. I would rather be moving where I have some control over the situation.

Are there those that would abuse the priviledge, riding too fast for conditions - of course - but they are already doing it whether it is legal or not, and won't be around long.

Last edited by joe.1955; 05-13-2010 at 01:37 AM.