Southwest Arizona | New Mexico | Oklahoma | Texas

AZ 191 & NM 180 info please

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2010, 12:49 PM
fastdeuce
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile AZ 191 & NM 180 info please

This weekend we will be loading the Ultra in the 5th wheel toy hauler and getting out of the Black Hills. Yea, I live about 34 miles from Sturgis. One of the rides I want to do on this trip is NM 180 North of Silver City and AZ 191 South of Alpine. Is it better clockwise or counter clockwise? Is there snow and ice in the Alpine vicinity? If so, when whould this ride be doable? Know of any RV parks around Safford? We have snow on the ground since December 1st so we want to go south and complain about being 2 hot. Any good rides around Phoenix? Rick

Old 02-22-2010, 02:05 PM
joe.1955
Stellar HDF Member
Received 77 Likes on 47 Posts

There is currently a ton of snow on the 191, probably almost all the way down to Morenci.

Normally the earliest you can ride the Coronado Trail is late March, if then.

Altitudes are around 9,000 ft near Hannigan's Meadow.

If you ride in the warmer months, it makes a gerat loop to go down through New Mexico on the 180, cross over to Three way in Arizona, and back up the 191 to Alpine / Springerville.

Old 02-22-2010, 05:50 PM
Cotton Hill
Road Warrior
Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

FastDeuce; (Know of any RV parks around Safford?)
Try Checking out Hot Well Dunes Recreation Area. I've been there not bad area.
How long do you plan on being in AZ? For day rides check out the PHX ride groups many rides we have been on going back almost 2 yrs. Or
check this out. Cyclerides http://www.cyclerides.com/

Old 02-23-2010, 05:57 PM
Sketz
Cruiser

A picture is worth a thousand words - this is my cabin last Saturday - very close to Alpine. We had more snow this week and the prediction is for more this coming weekend. So I would guess it's best for mid April for your trip. If you want good riding weather come on down to Tucson and tour the Southern part of our State. Tombstone, Bisbee, Sierra Vista, Patagonia, Sonoita, etc. all good rides. Anyone on this Southwest thread can plot you out some excellent rides, most will even join you, just let us know your ETA.
Have a great trip, hope to meet up with you someday.

Attached Thumbnails AZ 191 & NM 180 info please-img_4733.jpg  
Old 02-23-2010, 06:04 PM
deucegray
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm freezing just looking at that pic.

Old 02-24-2010, 12:33 PM
fastdeuce
Novice

We spent 2+ weeks in the Tombstone area last winter. We should be leaving the Black Hills Monday. We plan on going to Las Cruces first for a week or so then to Deming. We were told Palomas Mexico is a safe place to go visit for a day. You talked me out of doing 191 so we will go to Tucson. I'll stay in touch when I can or where WiFi will work with the lap top. Looking at the map it should be warm in Sells. Thanks for the info and I look forward to doing a ride with you. Rick

Old 02-24-2010, 12:58 PM
2of2
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Come back in the spring/summer to do the 191 and/or the 180 . Excellent ride! We will meet up with you if you wish. That is one of our favorite trips to get out of the desert heat.

Old 02-24-2010, 01:43 PM
donna.1965
Moderator "Queens Of The Road" Forum

Let us know when and where you're riding in the Tucson area... we can probably get a group out there to meet up with you!

Old 02-24-2010, 05:11 PM
keith_stepp
Banned
Received 1,505 Likes on 1,077 Posts

Weather can change quickly in AZ from winter to summer. I've seen 100 degrees in March before. Alpine in March though is a pretty big gamble. Good idea to pass on it. Southern AZ is a great place to ride in March and April. Where did you ride when you were in Tombstone?

Personally, I do not like the Sells and Ajo area for riding. The Organ Pipe National Monument is OK, so is the Saguaro National Monument, but can be very conjested. The ride up to Kitt Peak is nice though if the weather is cooperative (at nearly 7,000 feet, it can get cold up there). A ride I have not done is the Arivaca road west from I-19 over to the 286. It is a nice area though and the map makes it look like a fun road. You could hit Tubac to do a little shopping. It is a quaint little arists community. Very cool. Be sure and visit the San Xavier Mission while in the neighborhood too. They are almost done with the restoration and it is pretty impressive. But, I prefer riding in the SE part of the state this time of year. Tombstone, Benson, or Wilcox make great staging locations. There is basically no bad riding in that part of the state this time of year.

Old 02-24-2010, 06:45 PM
Mike Horrell
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Hmmm....

An Albuquerque based group I belong to is planning a run to Tombstone starting on
the 18th and coming back through 191 / 180 and Silver City on the 20th.

Looks just a wee bit cold..........

Quick Reply: AZ 191 & NM 180 info please