Southwest Arizona | New Mexico | Oklahoma | Texas

Bandera/Kerrville to S. Padre Isle

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2010, 10:36 AM
Shrug
Elite HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Bandera/Kerrville to S. Padre Isle

Looking for a scenic route to the gulf coast from the Kerrville area.

Any insight appreciated.

Old 02-16-2010, 02:14 PM
formike56
Club Member

16SH is a good ride out of Kerrville.... Will go thru Medina to Bandera then catch 173 south to Plesanton. Hook up with IH37 slab it into Corpus... Should be a good ride for you this time of year. Post some picture's. Damn Scott... What happened to your other ride. Trade it in for a couch????

Old 02-16-2010, 02:27 PM
Shrug
Elite HDF Member

Thanks! I've ridden 16 into Bandera and stayed at the Koyote Ranch. The ride from Kerville into Medina is awesome. Didn't ride much further south from there though. I'm going back to Koyote in April and thought I'd hit the Gulf coast for a few days after.

Yeah, I traded the Wide Glide in for the Roadie. My rides are getting longer and longer and my desire for comfort surpassed my desire for cool. I'm shocked at how nimble the RG is. I can actually corner more aggressively on it than I could on the WG. It's stock now except for the windscreen and speakers. Ordered fairing lowers and a tour Pak last week. Bars and intake/exhaust are next.

Thanks again.

Old 02-16-2010, 06:21 PM
Roadie09
Road Warrior

Which part of the coast are you trying to reach. Not that it really matters, there is really no scenic path to any of it. If you are looking at Corpus Christi, it would be interstate 37 (high speed and straight). If you are talking about South Padre Island, it would be Hwy 77 (very straight and not much to look at but low brush).

Old 02-16-2010, 08:58 PM
Harpoonman
Club Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you are looking at Corpus area...i e Port Aransas (north end of Padre Island) You can zig zag from Medina toward Wimberly.. San Marcos... Gonzales... Goliad... take the back roads to SH 35 just north of Rock Port... take the Ferry accross to Port Aransas...

If you want to see South Padre at Port Isabel.... then as the others have said... Flat and Straight.. No matter which trail you take. 77 out of Corpus or 281.

Old 02-16-2010, 10:00 PM
wjvins
Tourer
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by ktm_scott
Thanks! I've ridden 16 into Bandera and stayed at the Koyote Ranch. The ride from Kerville into Medina is awesome. Didn't ride much further south from there though. I'm going back to Koyote in April and thought I'd hit the Gulf coast for a few days after.

Yeah, I traded the Wide Glide in for the Roadie. My rides are getting longer and longer and my desire for comfort surpassed my desire for cool. I'm shocked at how nimble the RG is. I can actually corner more aggressively on it than I could on the WG. It's stock now except for the windscreen and speakers. Ordered fairing lowers and a tour Pak last week. Bars and intake/exhaust are next.

Thanks again.
If you not in a hurry, a stop at King's Inn, cash only. But Best Fried Shrimp with homemade Tarter Sauce..IMHO...Being from Louisiana, that is giving a good review...
King's Inn
  • Address: Loyola Beach on Hwy. 1 in Riviera (pronounced ree-Verra by locals), Kingsville, TX
  • Directions: Take U.S. 77 south from Kingsville and go left at FM 628; keep going until you hit the water
  • Phone: 361/297-5265
Write a review
Fodor's Review:

If you are going to be in Kingsville, it is worth it to drive 15 minutes more south to have lunch or dinner at this well-known restaurant. The King's Inn is close to absolutely nothing, but somehow on a Saturday afternoon the huge, unassuming dining room will be teeming with people from who-knows-where. There are no menus. You order the fresh seafood by the pound and it's served family style, grilled or fried. Must-haves are the avocado salad and the giant fried shrimp. Entrées range from $20 to $25. Call ahead for a table.