Southwest Arizona | New Mexico | Oklahoma | Texas

Az bike week question

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2009 | 07:26 AM
jrstar
|
Road Captain
Default Az bike week question

Me and a couple of buddies are planning on doing the AZ bike week in mid april. Looking at their website, they are showing on site camping "ajacent the venue" area. Says you can rent a 10 x 10 spot. Anyone that has been, give me some ideas on this. I really like being "on site" after the happenings but a 10 x 10 is pretty tight quarters.

Old 12-21-2009 | 06:59 PM
Moog Player
Road Captain

I gave up on Bike Weak several years ago when it moved to Scottsdale and became purely a money sponge. I'm sure that the camping area is just the polo field to the west of Westworld where they used to put the vendors. Since they couldn't charge admission to that area, they have moved it and fenced it in. Now they can charge some money for that area, too. And your bike can be parked in an area 'near' your campsite. If you really want to camp for the event, there are some camping areas near town but you would probably need to break camp each day or lose your stuff.
There are plenty of reasonably priced motels in the area and Bikeweak isn't an event that causes raised rates. (Except maybe very close to Westworld.)
Do I sound jaded and cynical? I just remember what it was BEFORE some new promoter bought the event to purely make himself a bunch of money.

Old 12-21-2009 | 09:52 PM
2of2
Road Warrior

+1

Arizona Bike Week is a huge disappointment. 20 bucks to get in to a field of vendors that do not offer any real discounts. I doubt I will be giving them any of my money this year.
I heard the new promoter is getting bloody rich because we are willing to pay an entry fee to have the honor of spending our money at their vendor booths. I think AZ Bike Week is the only Bike Rally that gets away with this. We need to wise up.

Old 12-21-2009 | 10:42 PM
joe.1955
Stellar HDF Member

+2

I've purchased one week passes for the last two years. Bought a vest the first year and nothing last year.

Vendor prices are not discounted. My understanding is the fees the vendors are charged is high.

The only real value (I assume) are the bands at night, but I didn't hang around for the entertainment.

I have no plans to attend this year, and I only live about 6 miles away.

Old 12-23-2009 | 01:12 PM
msh134
Road Warrior

went to bike week this year and was really disappointed. i even tried to buy a pair of sunglasses and the vendor crossed out his prices with marker and raised the prices by $20:00 just for the show what a joke wont be attending this year

Old 12-23-2009 | 09:03 PM
Cotton Hill
Road Warrior

I've gone 2 out of 5 yrs. I don't plan on going again. Like others have said, why pay $20 for the honer to pay jacked prices at the vendors booths. Seems like the warm up parties at the area dealers and custom bike shops are the only things worth doing.

Old 12-23-2009 | 09:32 PM
Moog Player
Road Captain

Bike week number one and two in Avondale were very good and quite fun. The first couple in the east valley were OK but the writing was on the wall. Each year since the ownership change, they have found new was to try and shear the sheep. With the bad taste left in most folks mouth and the economy, this year should be a real quiet event.
Still, there are good rides and off site parties. If you stay away from the 'Venue', you can have a good time and not get ripped off.

Old 12-24-2009 | 10:01 AM
deucegray
Road Master

Had a good time at bike week. Rode one poker run , I have spent 20 dollars on lots of things . I would not go to rally to buy anything,I just enjoy the sights and sounds. And riding with my friends . It is what you make of it . The weather will be nice . I for one will go again . Dealerships local biker bars always have something going on during that week . A good excuse to get out and ride .

Last edited by deucegray; 12-24-2009 at 10:06 AM.