Southwest Arizona | New Mexico | Oklahoma | Texas

South Texas In Late January/Early February

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2009, 09:57 AM
krountre
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default South Texas In Late January/Early February

We were thinking about another mid-winter trip for here in South Georgia. Weather usually requires we drive south, but since we've done the Florida Keys we were wondering about South Texas.

Is the weather decent to ride in that time of year? What is on the "don't miss" list in that part of the country?

Old 11-27-2009, 10:20 AM
papajack
Intermediate

i lived in south texas for a few years, worked all over the place there to. it can be really nice, but also gets cold as hell. if the weather permits, corpus christi and padre island area is nice. the scenery is the same all over, brush and cactus. a really nice trip is the texas hill country in the spring. blue bonnets blooming, rolling hills, really pretty. few nice lakes to. san antonio is a fun visit also, lot of history there. i'd stay away from the border areas, can be kinda rough, traffic in laredo is just crazy. there is a lot to see in the hill country, check garner state park, there is also luckenbach, ( spelling may not be correct), fredricksburg, ect.

Old 11-27-2009, 10:21 AM
papajack
Intermediate

ps. watch out for DEER !!!!

Old 11-27-2009, 04:39 PM
krountre
Cruiser

Thanks Papajack! Deer are a real problem around here too.

Old 11-28-2009, 10:29 AM
Sancho
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I live in Harlingen. Alot of winter texans with motorcycles down here in the rio grande valley. Alot of RV parks that get crowded. Weather is ususally nice but can get cold for a day or two. Good roads for riding, but flat and not to scenic. South Padre Island is a quick ride from me, King Ranch a little to the North you can motor tour. Texas hill country 350 miles north, Nice scenic riding with twisties and deer. Luckenbach, Bandera. 2 harley dealers 35 miles apart, Mcallen and San Benito. Same owner. One in Mcallen is huge and gives good service. I recommend it at least once. I ride year round. Check out www.rgvtexas.com

Old 11-28-2009, 10:48 PM
Roadie09
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The hill country would be a nice ride, but between November and Early March it can be very cold and wet. The riding in my area (corpus christi) is good, but you will not be getting anything other than staight flat roads. Very few curves and the scenery is scrub brush and cactus, but you can ride pretty much year round.

Old 11-28-2009, 10:57 PM
krountre
Cruiser

Thanks guys. We are very used to flat roads. When no twisties are around our motto is "Live to Ride; Ride to EAT!" so some Tex-Mex sounds pretty good, and my riding buddy says he ain't crossing the Rio Grande so McAllen is about as far as I'll get him.

Old 11-29-2009, 07:52 AM
teamstersteward
Elite HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Come on down the riding's great,the ride around the coast(sh35) is great. the Tex-Mex food is addictive the seafood is killer,the ride around Mathis lake is nice,lamar park-goose island has some biker friendly inexpensive cabins.the sunrise at bob hall pier is awesome.
We do get cold but not for long. Dam I sound like a tour guide,any way if you decide to come down enjoy,be safe,and yea DO NOT CROSS THE BORDER INTO MEXICO.

Old 11-29-2009, 08:48 AM
Harpoonman
Club Member

Well, the best way I can answer your question is to quote Forest Gump. Texas weather in late January and early February is like a box of chocolates....you never know what you are going to get. The "Weather Gurus" say we are suppose to have a colder and wetter winter than Normal.... Well when Crazy is Normal, where do you go from there?

Here is what The Old Farmers Almanac has to say....I have included a link to the page.

Winter will be colder than normal, on average, from the Metroplex north and westward, with near-normal temperatures elsewhere. The coldest periods will occur in the second week of December, early to mid-January, and early to mid-February. Precipitation and snowfall will be near or slightly below normal. The most significant snow and ice will occur in mid-December, early January, and early and mid-February.
April and May will be warmer then normal, with near-normal rainfall.

http://www.almanac.com/weather/longrange/TX/Gonzales

FYI..Metroplex is a reference to Dallas - Fort Worth metroplex.

So, if you come to Texas with some flexibility, and hit the weather just right.. hit the Hill Country.. Other wise plan to tour the Rio Grande Valley.... San Antonio and South. As Teamster says.... Gulf Coast to South Padre, There is some good backroad riding off of IH-10 between Houston and San Antonio.... both north and south parallels of the interstate. Good Luck

Old 11-29-2009, 09:44 AM
krountre
Cruiser

Sounds like the weather around here. I'd like to make it in the spring (especially the Hill Country) but my buddy is a poultry farmer so we have plan our long rides around the weeks he doesn't have chickens in the house. LOL

Quick Reply: South Texas In Late January/Early February