Southwest Arizona | New Mexico | Oklahoma | Texas

To all you Arizona bikers, need some help.

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2009, 01:28 PM
uppaul
Stage II
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default To all you Arizona bikers, need some help.

Having recently retired we are looking to relocate to Arizona. (Got to get out of this u.p. Michigan weather). Have been looking at Apache Jct. Florence, Coolidge somewhere in that area. Need a place that is biker friendly and out of town. Housing seems resonable at least what I seen on line. Been riding HD since 1964 (ya I'm old) and I know where to go for honest help. If any of you boys or gals have some time to respond I certainly would appreciate it Thanks Paul

Old 10-27-2009, 11:40 PM
EZ48
Extreme HDF Member
Received 26 Likes on 2 Posts

Phoenix in general is pretty biker friendly. Apache Junction is far enough outside of the main city to have that small town feel and it's tucked right up against the Superstition mountains so lots of great scenery and good riding out that way. There's not much in Florence besides a huge prison complex and fed detention center. Another option you may want to consider is Superior... a nice small town close enough to Phoenix for convenience but far enough away for that out of town feel.

Housing here is a bargain bonanza. Bring cash and you can pretty much name your price.

Good luck.

Old 10-27-2009, 11:50 PM
sqwkvfr
Novice

Wickenburg is nice. I live in Goodyear, and you're looking to buy a good house for a GREAT price, this is the area to look, particularly the Estrella Mountain Ranch area.

AJ has a reputation for being a dump....make sure to check out the area before you commit to any housing.

Old 10-28-2009, 12:02 AM
EZ48
Extreme HDF Member
Received 26 Likes on 2 Posts

You're kidding, right? Goodyear? The land of half build communities and record level foreclosures?

Old 10-28-2009, 12:06 AM
desertclassic
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Mesa area is nice.

Old 10-28-2009, 08:12 AM
Moog Player
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You might find Superior or Globe to be nice choices. There isn't much going on there and they are OLD towns. There is nicer weather and good riding. Wickenburg would be another good choice and a bit more modern/healthy. Prescott or Cottonwood would be a choice as you will actually get some seasons through out the year in stead of just Hot all year and a week of cool. I'd avoid Sedona like the plague. It's just an expensive tourist trap full of leaches and hangers-on. (I've lived in all these places except Wickenburg) West Phoenix and associated towns have always been less expensive than East side. There is a reason for this and crime statistics would bear it out. You really need to spend a month out here and look around.

Old 10-28-2009, 07:40 PM
sqwkvfr
Novice

Originally Posted by EZ48
You're kidding, right? Goodyear? The land of half build communities and record level foreclosures?
Uh, no, I'm not kidding...why in the hell do you think the houses are so cheap?

It beats the hell out of the mullets and Camaros on blocks in the front yard of AJ and much of Mesa.

Old 10-28-2009, 08:54 PM
2of2
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Everyone is going to have their own opinion so for what it is worth, here is my East Valley perspective:
It really depends on what you are looking for. There are some great deals on the outskirts of town. The outer cities, Queen Creek, Coolidge, Casa Grande, Maricopa built up quickly and then died out when the housing market busted. Great deals on newer houses but as mentioned earlier, alot of foreclosures. Nice houses going for cheap but you may want to consider a more developed area. I am in E. Mesa around the Red Mountain area. a few minutes ride and I am on the hwy. and heading to the mountains for some excellent riding. Nice communities ranging from modest to higher end. Newer development still happening but away from the downtown area and the blight that Mesa is known for. AJ is known for blight also as they did not place the zoning restrictions early on that other cities have. It sounds like you are looking for something out on this side of town so if you would like more details, send a PM. I have lived in the E. valley for 26 years.
Good luck.

Old 10-29-2009, 12:00 AM
Bengo
Cruiser

Me being new to town and my job has taken me all over the valley Ahwatukee(south Phoenix) is great and good people. Like others have said come and check it all out Im sure thell will be people to show you around.

Old 10-29-2009, 07:54 PM
TucAzRider
Tourer

Tucson is really nice too,. Makes for Great riding year round,.. Not as hot in the summer, or humid, but a little cooler in the winter,.. There is allot of area that is outside of town and makes ya feel more like being in the country,.

Quick Reply: To all you Arizona bikers, need some help.