Southwest Arizona | New Mexico | Oklahoma | Texas

Question for central oklahomans

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2009, 10:37 AM
Kski
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question for central oklahomans

I got stationed here about 9 months ago and I'm still having trouble finding decent twisty roads to ride. I live in Edmond so I've ridden rt. 66 quite a bit, but other than that it seems like almost all other roads here are grid pattern with very little curves. If anyone has any favorite riding roads please post em here.

Old 09-27-2009, 12:15 PM
TexFordD
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Go east to Arkansas up around Ft.Smith or Eureka Springs. Hurry because as the season changes and the leaves drop it can be very tricky on those turns. Especially in the morning dew.

Old 09-28-2009, 09:01 PM
Border Cop
Cruiser

When I was stationed in Lawton, OK, we would ride all the way up to Tulsa to find some twisties. OK is FLAT!!!! till you start getting close to the Misery border.

Old 09-28-2009, 09:10 PM
champsruss
Intermediate

Like the other guy said... Arkansas. Hwy 7 south of Harrison is great. The Pig Trail (Hwy 23) is nice, even 62 west of Eureka makes you want to start singing Born To Be Wild. In Oklahoma you really have to travel on the east side of Fort Gibson Lake and Lake Tenkiller to even come close the Ark.. For some reason I like Hwy 9 from the OKC area east to Eufala. Eat at J&M's (not sure about the second letter) on 9 in Eufala which is hands down the best food in the U.S.. I ride from Okmulgee just for the chicken fried steak......

Old 10-05-2009, 01:33 PM
Fastfwd
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hwy 82 south of Stigler down to Talihina is pretty sweet! There are some nice roads around Talihina and the Talimena Scenic Drive is not to be missed while here…..it rides the ridge top of one of Oklahoma’s highest ‘mountain’ ranges. That’s about as twisty as it gets in Oklahoma as far as I know.

Old 10-05-2009, 07:34 PM
younggeezer
Advanced

Has anyone made the Talimena Scenic Drive yet this, just wondering if the leaves are changing yet?

Old 10-05-2009, 07:40 PM
jalapeno
6th Gear

try down around beavers bend as well. nice weekend getaway. plenty of cabins lots of good roads, very nice this time of year. also try down around dripping springs state park. there are a few twisties out that way

Old 10-07-2009, 10:54 AM
Fastfwd
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by younggeezer
Has anyone made the Talimena Scenic Drive yet this, just wondering if the leaves are changing yet?
http://www.arkansas.com/calendar/fall_foliage_pg1.aspx

I keep an eye on that page and try to time my trips down there according to their reports of peak color.

What I understand is that your red trees turn earliest.....

http://www.ozarkmtns.com/foliage/index.asp

These guys are pretty serious about their leaf peeping up in north central AR. Check out those photos! I'm thinking of going a little further east next year.

Old 12-28-2009, 09:44 AM
shortride
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Talimena Scenic Drive is always a favorite down in my neck of the woods in S.E. Oklahoma. Beavers Bend State Park is a great to ride also.

Old 02-03-2010, 11:28 PM
lilsahara450r
Advanced

i live in chickasha so im not that far from you in edmond. i take alot of trips down to the witchata mountains when the weather is nice. and if youre in the military (correct me if im wrong) then you know where fort sill is. its about 10 minutes from there. there is a great historical burger joint down there called meers and mt. scott is a decent ride. i almost feel like im in a defferent state when im down there

Quick Reply: Question for central oklahomans