Southwest Arizona | New Mexico | Oklahoma | Texas

What to do and see in Tucson?

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2008, 09:11 PM
mhonn2220
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What to do and see in Tucson?

My wife and I are planning a trip to Tucson during the last week of October. We would appreciate any information on what to see and do while we are there. Also what kind of weather will we getting into at that time of year

Old 08-25-2008, 11:05 PM
donna.1965
Moderator "Queens Of The Road" Forum

I haven't been to Tucson in awhile, but when I do go, I like to visit the Arizona Sonora Desert Museum.

If you don't mind taking some rides out of Tucson, there are a lot of things in the area, such as, Biosphere, Kartchner Caverns (make reservations ASAP), and Tombstone.

We ride with a couple of people from that area, so hopefully they can tell you more stuff, and how far out of Tucson my suggestions are.

I'm also not too familiar with Tucson's weather, though I think they aren't much different than the Phoenix area. But you can check that on weather.com and get the average temps for that time frame.

Have a great trip and stay safe.

Old 08-25-2008, 11:08 PM
donna.1965

http://www.pr.state.az.us/Parks/parkhtml/kartchner.html

Here is the website for information on Kartchner Caverns.

Old 08-26-2008, 09:16 AM
desertroamer
Cruiser

If your riding I heard that MT Lemon is a great ride up for some pie. Never personally been but a little birdy told me it was.

Old 08-26-2008, 09:36 AM
mhonn2220
Cruiser

Thanks for the info. We are excited about getting there. Heard there is alot of road construction in Tucson.

Old 08-26-2008, 09:42 AM
silvergoldsmith
Road Warrior

Why stay in Tucson? I live in Willcox and Chiricahua National Monument is only about 1 hour away, so are Bisbee and Tomdstone. It is always nicer not to have to deal with the flood of al the Tucson traffic and have nicer weather most of the time. The Kartchner Caverns is less than an hour away.

Old 08-26-2008, 09:50 AM
donna.1965

The construction in Tucson basically gives you access to I-10 from one side of Tucson or the other... all of the other exits/entrances are closed. Once you get stuck in there, you are on the frontage road for miles. It's passable, but slow. Again, I haven't been there in awhile, so things might be improving from the last time I saw it.

+1 on the Willcox info...my sister lives 30 miles outside of Willcox and it is beautiful. The Chiricahua's are a must see.

Old 09-02-2008, 09:46 PM
screws4156
Road Captain

There is a really good Aviation museum on the east said.

Old 09-02-2008, 11:46 PM
rongvk
3rd Gear

Hi Everone, let me add a few thoughts here...

I just moved here from Pittsburgh, PA about 2 weeks ago. Had the bike shipped and it arrived in time for last weekend so I haven't had an opportunity to do much riding. However, while waiting for the bike to arrive, I used the cage and took a drive up Mt. Lemon this past weekend. It was phenomenal! From the heart of Tucson to the end of the Mt. Lemon scenic route was about 25 miles or so, and it was captivating at every turn in the road. Take this ride, you won't be sorry. Just make sure you're not too squeemish when riding near the edge of the road and looking down on a thousand foot drop. From the changing landscape as you climb about 5000 feet to the breathtaking views at the many scenic stops, it would be a ride you won't soon forget. I can't wait to get the bike out next weekend and make the trip again.

I also took a quick trip (this time on the bike) through the Saguaro National Park and out to the Old Tucson Movie Studios and it was also fantastic as far as the scenery goes. It may be just my Pittsburgh showing but I'm telling you, this is just heaven for bike riding out here.

Haven't been able to meet up with any other riders yet or the local HOG chapter, but I hope to soon. In the meantime, I'm just happy to ride in the sunshine and warm temps with some of the most intriguing landscape I've scene. Only caveat that I would suggest is to really slather on the sunscreen. In as short as one hour, you can get a pretty good burn on the forehead, face, arms, and neck. I was wondering why all the riders I saw were wearing jackets when I was in a T-shirt. Now I know why.

See you on the rode sometime...Ron from the Burgh!

Old 09-04-2008, 11:43 PM
AZ Rider
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

rongvk,

Grew up and lived in the southside till my mid teens.

There's some great riding to be had here. Some of my favorite routes:

77 north through Mammoth, Winkelman, and into Globe. 60 west and south on 177 by the mines and back down on 77. Or keep going north on 88 into 188 by Roosevelt Lake (beautiful). Can also turn east on 60 and go through the Salt River Canyon.

There's even more mountain areas north, east and west of that.

83 south into Sonoita. Either west on 82 to Patagonia or east on 82, south on 191 into Tombstone.

Continue on 191 into Bisbee, an small old mining town. Reminds me a lot of the 'burgh. Houses built into the hillls, steep winding streets. But don't ask for a chipped ham or jumbo sandwich, they won't know what you're talkin about.

North on 191 into the backside (eastside) of the Chiricuahas. You can also turn left just out of Tombstone through some small ranch towns and head up the westside of the Chirichuaas (can't spell that darn name!)

I will also emphasize suncreen to mhonn. And re apply. NOt kidding, you will burn quickly. I ride with a cotton long sleeve shirt on longer trips. But you'll still see the the short sleevers, even me, catching the sun and wind.

Enjoy!