Southwest Arizona | New Mexico | Oklahoma | Texas

Moving To Houston

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2008, 09:52 AM
Manish_Hawg
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default RE: Moving To Houston

If you have to go downtown for work I would pick Humble. 59 is not as bad as 290 getting to downtown. I use to live in Humble and it's nice.

Old 04-17-2008, 10:47 PM
Larry Hairgrove
Stage III
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Dickinson is half way from Houston and Galveston.It takes half a hour to down town Houston and 20 Min to Galveston.Good country roads out of the city.Highway 35 take a right past Bay City will get you to Columbus Tx I 10 to San A.Lots of Bayous for fishing and going down the coulie in da perow.

Old 04-18-2008, 09:06 PM
Righteous
Tourer
Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

If schools are a priority, there's only one place. Katy. You can't beat KISD. We moved here 8 years ago and I am blown away at how good the teachers, parents, facilities, & other kids are. If I was single, I wouldn't live here. But, because I have 3 kids, this is the best place for them.

Old 04-20-2008, 12:04 AM
swestbrook60
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

ORIGINAL: Mad Dwarf

I have two young boys, so priority number 1 is schools, I was hoping to stay west ( to save a bit of time on the drive back to San Antonio every once and a while) I have had suggestions for Pearland, Friendswood, Sugarland and the woodlands. I will be working downtown, but I want my wife to try and work as close to home as possible. she is a teacher.

Some one recommended Shadow Creek Ranch in Missouri City, But I just read the BFI is planning on expanding a landfill near there.

MD
There are literally hundreds of sub-divisions to chose from on the weat side of Houston. It all depends on all your personal factors..such as your economic level, where you and wifework, the schools, etc. Sounds like you might be interested to live in the Cinco Ranch area which is just south of I-10 at Hwy 99. You will have the choice of I-10 or Westpark Tollway to downtown and have a 30 mile headstart on going to SA. You will be on the edge of town there so accessing the area FM roads for your bike rides will be good from there.

Old 04-20-2008, 12:29 AM
Crushertx3
Road Warrior

I cant say where to live My Daughter goes to UH and lives on campus I have family all around the area Kingswood, cleaveland, Alvin, Tomball, Humble ect but still have no Idea where to tell you to look
as for a good Church in your area there is Ben Preist at River of God www.tribeofjudah.com(would be my choice)
or there is Joel O'steen , both are very powerfull Preachers (Joel is a bit of a motivational speaker type).
but then that is not what you asked for but hope it helps in your decission
I also have a couple others for refferance if you need them

Old 04-21-2008, 11:20 PM
trailey97
Tourer

i live in katy at I-10 and mason rd. i love it im just far enough outside the big city of houston but still close enough you know and its only minutes on ten until you are away from everything plus katy has great schools elementary junior high and high school i went to katy high graduate in 05 moved down here summer of 03 aint got no family down here. moved down here with my dad then he passed away and i stayed cause i love it so much. katy is for everyone filthy rich middle class and even the ones not so fortunate everyone is friendly

Old 04-22-2008, 09:46 AM
Righteous
Tourer
Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Sounds like you must be from Katy. I live in Cinco Ranch.

Old 04-22-2008, 10:14 AM
jharp
Tourer

I'm in Katy too. Just north of I-10 on Fry road. All the post have good idea's. Yes riding in Houston sucks, and you will want to live on the side of town you work in. If you’re going to be traveling to San Antonio regularly the West side of town is obviously your choice, could save you about 60 miles per trip, that will add up fast.

Jim

Old 04-22-2008, 10:26 AM
puddles13
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 5 Posts

Wow....

Ok... I live in the NE side of Harris County - Humble/Kingwood area - 59/1960. Date a man who lives in the SE side of Harris County - Katy - I-10/Mason Rd. With 'normal' traffic it takes me about an hr to scoot over there with an eazy tag.

I will tell you this... it takes him almost 2 hrs to get to my home from South Houston - Gallaria area, during rush hour.

Living on the side of town you work on helps greatly in Houston.

Old 04-22-2008, 11:08 AM
DeJavu
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Can't really advise you, I escaped Houston(lived in Mo.City for 10 yrs) and settled on 15 acres in the Bellville area. Frankly, as I watch the morning traffic reports, I realize I just could never deal with that again. Am fortunate to have found decent work out here in the boonies with a 15 min drive on country roads to work. Used to commute the 70 mi to a Houston job, but definetly could not afford the gas nor the aggrivation now.
CyFair area gives you a lot of good choices NW. I wish you luck, maybe we'll meet on the road some time.

Quick Reply: Moving To Houston