Southwest Arizona | New Mexico | Oklahoma | Texas

willow city/ luckenbach and beyond

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2008, 10:26 PM
JW
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default willow city/ luckenbach and beyond

ok, havent had time to figure out how to save a route on google and post up the route. it's basically a run to willow city. harry's for a rest stop, then slide over to Luckenbach for lunch and another pop and some tunes. then down old no 9 down to 473 double back up crabapple road and into Blanco ( gas stop) then down through Henly back to Austin.

I can print up some maps here at the house but. I'm pretty familiar with 95% of the route. it's around 160 miles. and I'd like to get sort of and early start so we could be in luckenbach round noon, so we dont run out of daylight for the ride home.

depending on who all wants to go we could either meet at the Exxon station at 71 and hamilton pool rd, or if terry and or Lo want to go we could meet up at 281 and 71 on the southwest corner theres a big paved area on the shoulder there away from the road. I figure eitherway kickstands up at 9 to 9:30 Saturday looks like the day weatherwise.

figured this ride would give the riders a chance to stop and smell the hops and fellowship a bit.

whatchya think?

RAT I have the map saved, but dont have a clue how to hyperlink it without it being a 3 foot long chain

Old 01-03-2008, 11:40 PM
AustinRider
Cruiser
Default RE: willow city/ luckenbach and beyond

I had the same problem earlier today... I had a few minutes to figure out how to create a map but didn't have any luck saving it and didn't have time to fool around with it further at that time.

Did you tryclicking "Link to this page" in the upper right hand corner just above the map?

I'd like to make this ride with you guys but I filled up today and now my bike is running like crap. I think I bought some bad gas. It was marked premium and 93 octane but my bike ran like **** coming home from Brackenridge today. I didn't think I was going to make it. It is sputtering and belching and popping... I'm really pissed and I can NOT ride it like it is. I thought it might clear up but no such luck.

Tomorrow I'm going to drain the tank and purge the system and put fresh fuel in her. Turns out, to drain the tank you have to cut the crossover tube. Why the hell wouldn't HD put a drain petcock in there for just such occasions? I went out tonight and bought some 5/16" fuel line and some barbed fittings and hose clamps. Tomorrow I'm going to work on it.

I bought the gasoline at the 7/11 at BenWhite and South First. I've never bought gas from them before and never will again. I had to go in for a CT Scan this morning and then go back and talk to the surgery people this afternoon... they're taking my spleen out on the 18th. In between I went home for some lunch and filled up on the way back in the afternoon. She ran okay going back to Brack but she was still running on the old fuel. After sitting there for a few hours in the parking garage all the old and new gas mixed together. As soon as I started her I knew something was wrong... she just didn't sound right.

I had to drive home on IH 35 in going home time traffic with her sputtering and missing. I couldn't even let her idle... tried it once and she died. Nothing quite like having an 800 lb motorcycle that won't start on the Interstate in rush hour traffic. I had to keep on the throttle and hold her at 1500 to 2000 rpm at stops to keep her going.

When I finally got home she would sit in the drive and idle but she sounded like **** - popping and running rough and making weird sounds.

Needless to say, I am PISSED about it. I am definately going to have a serious face to face talk with 7/11 - and not just the flunky store manager either... I'm just going to start with him (or her).

later guys...

Old 01-03-2008, 11:53 PM
TexasRanger
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey Al,
one of my buds got some bad gas(oline) on the way back from Lone Star Rally. We stopped at a Shell station and siphoned all the gas we could get out of it. Then added some Lucas fuel conditioner and refilled with Super and she ran fine the rest of the way home.
I've also heard that sometimes the gas cap vent can get some crap in it and not let it run right. So check that too.

good luck.

Terry
[/align]

Old 01-04-2008, 12:02 AM
TexasRanger
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey JW. Sounds like a plan. I've got to be back at my house by 4:00 pm though (date night at the Alamo Draft House).

The way to post those maps is this:
1) Develop your map on Google.
2) When your done, click "Link to this page" on the top right side of the map.
3) It will give you two choices. choose "paste link in Email or IM" and copy the link
4) In your message on HDF, drag the mouse over some text such as "here is the map" so that it is highlighted.
5) Now click the icon on the edit toolbar that looks like this:[IMG]local://upfiles/31004/A29B4892E59349B6908056A592A931A1.gif[/IMG]
6) That will open up a box where you can paste your link into.
7) Click OK and BAM! your done.

[/align] [/align]

Old 01-04-2008, 12:48 AM
Ratbasturd
Road Master

I can meet where ever and when ever call it and I will be there.

Old 01-04-2008, 07:38 AM
erockguide
Cruiser

I would like to go. Doubt I will make it though. Steel belt showing through the rear tire. Gotta get fixed first.

Old 01-04-2008, 10:21 AM
beerguytx
Cruiser

I really would like to make this ride. When and where?

Old 01-04-2008, 12:45 PM
AustinRider
Cruiser

I have given up on trying to create a map in Google. I had one put together and tried to follow JW's ideas pretty closely but then when I went to make a couple of final adjustments and zoomed out all I had was straight lines... I'd lost the route following the road and when I hit the refresh button it zoomed me out all the way to a view of the whole US and the map and all my work was gone.

I've created a map in my Garmin software and am attempting to post it here as a .jpg image. I printed it to .pdf first and then converted it to a .jpg. We'll see how it turns out.

I followed JW's ideas pretty close except I started the route at Jim Bob's BBQ on 71 between Bee Caves and 620. I can change that pretty easy if anyone has a better idea. We could meet down the street at HEB and fuel up to start the trip or we can meet somewhere else.

I suggest we all fuel up at the start. I put a fuel stop in Blanco per JW and it is at mile 154 according to this route.

I didn't know where Harry's is at so JW if you'll let me know I plug it in and repost.

Let's see first how this image posts. I couldn't get the "Thumbnail" button to show up on my toolbar as TR suggested.

here goes...
[IMG]local://upfiles/45797/0B124A76BA6A4425B24299F38F66A674.jpg[/IMG]

Old 01-04-2008, 12:52 PM
AustinRider
Cruiser

okay, that worked pretty good... even got a thumbnail to work but have no idea how it happened... only draw back is that you can't zoom in to get the detail you can with Google but its a good route nonetheless.

JW - where is Harry's? Fredricksburg? Let me know and I'll modify.

I gotta go work on my bike. TR, I checked the fuel cap and couldn't see any problem there. I'm going to go do a drain and purge and refill it. I HAS to be bad gas... that's the only thing that make sense.

I'm going to take the gas that I drain out back to where I bought it for a refund!!!

If for some reason I am unable to make this ride I can e-mail the GPS file to TexasRanger since he's got the same GPS that I have...

later -

Old 01-04-2008, 01:37 PM
Ratbasturd
Road Master

Here is the route on Google Maps.......

Link to map

To get the "google map" link to a map you made start by clicking on the "Link to this page" in the upper right hand corner and copy the highlighted address.

To get the google maps to post without the long address, type in some words then highlight them as if you were going to copy them.

Now click on the add url/link button and paste in the address copied from google maps hit OK and your done.

Quick Reply: willow city/ luckenbach and beyond