Best bbq in Texas

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2008 | 02:37 PM
Royce
Stellar HDF Member
Default RE: Best bbq in Texas

Gotta try Kreuz's Market in Lockhart.

http://www.kreuzmarket.com/index.shtml

They're the only BBQ place that I've ever been to that doesn't serve sauce with the Q. They're philosophy is that if it needs sauce, it ain't cooked right. Their brisket, shoulder, links, and pork chops (about an 1" thick) are murderously good! I have it on good authority that the Almighty Hisself stops in at least once a week. [8D][8D][8D]

Old 02-21-2008 | 07:45 PM
TexasUltra
Cruiser

raymond357,
I know you've come and gone from our great state, and I would like to here back from you on the search for Texas BBQ.
One place that hasn't been mentioned is down in Brazoria, on Hwy 36. Hungry and out of options I u-turned and went back to Big "O"s BBQ and Country Cooking. I ordered the two meat plate with ribs and brisket and I was a little concerned when the silverware didn't have a knife. Didn't need one, the tenderest most flavorful brisket and ribs I've ever had. The only draw back is Big O doesn't have a liquor license, but when asked he said you can bring your own beer if you don't get out of hand. I'm looking forward to checking out the rest of the menu next pass thru Brazoria, Texas home of the "No Name Festival".

Old 02-21-2008 | 09:34 PM
Wecroft
Outstanding HDF Member

Ya all forgot to put the GPS coordinants on your lists. How's a modern day biker supposed to find food without the coordinates? Go back and do it again.

Old 02-22-2008 | 09:59 AM
beerguytx
Cruiser

ORIGINAL: Royce

Gotta try Kreuz's Market in Lockhart.

http://www.kreuzmarket.com/index.shtml

They're the only BBQ place that I've ever been to that doesn't serve sauce with the Q. They're philosophy is that if it needs sauce, it ain't cooked right. Their brisket, shoulder, links, and pork chops (about an 1" thick) are murderously good! I have it on good authority that the Almighty Hisself stops in at least once a week. [8D][8D][8D]
Totally agreethat Kreuz is the best. Smittys use to be Kreuz until the brother and sisterhad a falling out. The brother got the name, the sister got the building. Opies is mighty fine as well along with Louie Muellers. Coopers isgood but overated IMHO and the same goes for Saltlick.

Old 02-22-2008 | 02:16 PM
Royce
Stellar HDF Member

I couldn't agree more about the Saltlick. Way over rated and when I was there, the service was pretty poor.

Old 02-24-2008 | 12:59 AM
atexn4christ
Road Master

I have never been to the Saltlick in TX but the ones here in Vegas are not all that. Famous Daves is better. I enjoyed Kreuz and the place in Luling (can't remember name).

Old 03-02-2008 | 10:14 AM
TxDyna
Cruiser

Gotta go with Hard 8 in Stephenville...of course I live here so I get it all the time, but it's still good grub.

Dave

Old 03-04-2008 | 04:35 AM
benman
Road Captain

Hard 8 in stephenville, Loco coyote in Glenrose has great ribs, Coopers in LLano, are all good eats.

Old 03-15-2008 | 07:20 PM
AustinRider
Cruiser

I've been in Houston a few times this past month and checked out Papas on Main St. (they have several locations) and Goode Company on Kirby Lane (they're Katy Frwy location was already mentioned).

At Papas the Ranch Style beans were the best I ever had... full of chunks of sausage. The brisket was a bit on the dry side but the portions were sizeable.

My vote has to go to Goode Compay though. Their ribs were perfect and the brisket was juicy and tender.The pinto beans were ordinary but the potatoe salad, er, tater salad was the best I ever had at a BBQ joint. Only thing better was mine and Mom's.

Both places had a bit too much molases in their sauce but at Goode's the meat was done so good that you could just toss the sauce.

If you are in Houston check out Goode Company BBQ...

Old 03-16-2008 | 10:06 AM
Pulchritude
Cruiser

Texas Monthly should be coming out with their Bar-B-Que review in a month or two.

Quick Reply: Best bbq in Texas