Southwest Arizona | New Mexico | Oklahoma | Texas

Southwest ride

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2007, 04:28 PM
Joe376
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Southwest ride

Just thought Id post up an idea for a ride. Since before I got my bike earlier this year Ive been dreaming about heading out on a week or two long ride. Ive talked to others who really like that idea too but they cant really take time off work and we always seem to disagree about where to go. That’s the kicker there. They would like to head north, Id like to head southwest.

So, I just thought Id check here to see if anyone, in the future at some time, would be interested in a week or so long ride, maybe two weeks, heading out of the DFW area down south toward the Davis mountains, then through New Mexico on to Arizona wrapping around the Grand Canyon then headin back.

Not really sure what all the sites are yet but there are several I do know I would like to check out. First, the Davis mountains then the Indian ruins up in N. Mexico then… whatever. : ) Also, I would like to camp most of the time. A room would be welcome on occasion but camping would keep the costs down. Which I would like.

Just a thought. Maybe if there are enough people we could come up with a more detailed plan. It would probably also be more feasible to aim for the spring time maybe or late winter / early spring. Just so its not so hot while camping.

Maybe some of you already have a ride like this planned. So wheres the invite? Hahahaha : )

Oh yeah, Im just north of Dallas so… it would start there and could pick up others along the way.
Also, if anyone is interested. I wouldn’t mind riding down to Panama and back. : ) That’s a little risky though. So Ive been told.

Old 11-15-2007, 09:54 PM
Batbuds
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Southwest ride

I might be intererested depending on the dates....

I am in Arlington, so that is not a biggie....

Old 11-16-2007, 11:24 AM
billnourse
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 43 Likes on 36 Posts

There is a HD Forums SW Mini Rally that is in the works right now. It will happen around the 1st or 2nd week of June. It will start in Safford, Az. and will consist of 4 days of traveling some of the best roads in Az., ending up at the Grand Canyon.

Don't know if this what you had in mind or not. If so, there will be more details soon. Some of ushave been doing a forum ride for the last two years. This will be the third annual. We call it the HD Forums SWMini Rally and Green Chili Run. Last year we had about 40 people total.

Bill

Old 11-16-2007, 03:58 PM
TexasRanger
Road Warrior

Hey Bill,

I'm in! Is it gonna be hot?
One suggestion - try to keep it around 250 miles per day.

Thanks,

Terry

Old 11-17-2007, 07:58 AM
billnourse
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 43 Likes on 36 Posts

Terry,

It shouldn't be a scorcher, that is why we are planning it early. Part of the riding will be in the mountains, and part will be high desert.

We are limiting the days to about 250 miles or lesswith one day of about 180 thrown in. That will be the day that goes through Jerome and Sedona. We want to give people plenty of time.

This will not be a mission like last year through the passeswas.

We plan on doing the ride in 4 days unless a majority of people want to include Tombstone and Bisbee in the trip. If that is the case, we will have to make it5 days.

People, let us know what you think.

Bill

Old 11-17-2007, 08:57 AM
cr411a
Novice

We are always interested in riding. Check out www.pashnit.com/motoroads.htm for some good information for CA. roads. We are in So. Id. and there are great rides through ID, into Yellowstone and into MT. Outstanding roads and some of the greatest scenery!

Old 11-17-2007, 12:07 PM
Rotag
Advanced

I have asked a bunch of the guys here at work to do a ride.
They all want to take the trailer.

I would go depending on the dates.

Old 11-17-2007, 01:37 PM
TexasRanger
Road Warrior

Rotag, er, Steve,

I see your in Liberty Hill. I'm in Georgetown. I know what you mean about those guys wanting to go to trailer rallys (lol). I'm all ways up for a good ride. We did Bill's Haul *** To The Pass (I got a T-Shirt) last summer and it was a great time. I think we had 40 bikes there doing 300 - 350 miles a day. I didn't do that many cause I was wore out from the 900 miles I rode to get out there. Still we did ~200 per day with one day off. Bill and the guys put together a great package with maps and highlights of the area which really helped us out. So anyway, if you want to do this next summer let me know. I'll ride out there with you.

Terry

Old 11-17-2007, 02:00 PM
Rotag
Advanced

I am going to go somewhere this year.
I just got back into riding but did over 400 one day putzing around central texas.

I live just past L.H. when you hit the Deer proof fence Green on the left look to the right our corner posts line up

P.S. nice to meet you terry

We are riding a couple of hours Tuesday morning

Old 11-19-2007, 10:28 AM
Joe376
Cruiser

Awsome. Sounds like I got some interest. BillNourse, that SW mini rally sounds like the ticket. Im definitely interested. Good dates too.

For those interested, maybe we could set up a meeting somewhere in west Texas to meet up and ride out there. Or I could come south to where Rotag and Texas Ranger are if you two decide to ride out there. Also, Im thinking maybe I could meet up with some of you to ride out there but maybe after the rally, part ways and those that need to get home can and if anyone else would like, spend a few more days riding Az and Nm before returning home. I don’t know.. This all sounds cool and I got a million things runnin through my head now. Hahahaha I started a ride plan on the Harley site the other day. Ill put some more info on it and set it to share and maybe we can get something set up as to what directions we go or where we meet.

Alright… Stay tuned. Maybe we need to start a “TX to AZ for the SW mini rally ride”
Batbuds, how do those dates sound to you? Also, I have no clue as to how long it would take to get out there. So add a few days before and after it. : )

Quick Reply: Southwest ride