Las Vegas to Grand Canyon advice

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2007 | 08:51 AM
DvlDog
|
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Las Vegas to Grand Canyon advice

I'll be attending a conference in Las Vegas next July. I am considering flying in a few days early, renting a bike and spending a few days touring. I was thinking abouttaking four days:Vegas to Prescott, Az, Prescott to the Grand Canyon, Grand Canyon to the North Rim, North Rim back to Vegas. Avoiding the freeway as much as possible, these look like 4 or 5 hour rides leavng plenty of time to wander around. I plan on getting an early start most days to avoid the worst of the heat. I looked at the ave. temp in Vegas that time of year and it looks like around 110! Do any of y'all have any advice? Thanks in advance.

Old 10-23-2007 | 11:57 AM
mbuesing
Intermediate
Default RE: Las Vegas to Grand Canyon advice

The rim will be cold in the mornings and at night. But check the weather. the park is open 24 hours a day, so catch sunrise and sunset. they are the best times to see the colors. I live in Scottsdale and rode up to the GC, south rim in July. It was pretty warm, up until we got to the park. When we got up at 4:30 am to go watch sunset the next day, it was in the low 40's. It was 106 in the valley.

Advice: You need to drink a LOT of water and use a LOT of sunscreen. I can also help with a route. If you're going to Prescott, then you HAVE to ride back through Jerome, Cottonwood, Sedona and Oak Creek Canyon.

Here's a story. when we did the ride in July, our niece and nephew came out from Maine and rented a bike and went up with us. When he was getting his bike the rental clerk was saying she had to be at work at like 6 am the next morning to rent to a bunch of FBI guys. There were 30+ bikes they were renting. Well, when he took the bike back, the same clerk was saying that they explained to all these guys to drink LOTS of water. I guess in the early afternoon, they got a call and ALL of them were so dehydrated that they had to send a flat bed trailer up and get almost all the bikes and bring them back. Stupid!

PM me and I can give you some more route advice and such.

Mike

Old 10-26-2007 | 01:31 PM
chunngle
Cruiser

ORIGINAL: DvlDog

I'll be attending a conference in Las Vegas next July. I am considering flying in a few days early, renting a bike and spending a few days touring. I was thinking abouttaking four days:Vegas to Prescott, Az, Prescott to the Grand Canyon, Grand Canyon to the North Rim, North Rim back to Vegas. Avoiding the freeway as much as possible, these look like 4 or 5 hour rides leavng plenty of time to wander around. I plan on getting an early start most days to avoid the worst of the heat. I looked at the ave. temp in Vegas that time of year and it looks like around 110! Do any of y'all have any advice? Thanks in advance.
If it were me I would hot shot it down to Wickenburg from Vegas then start to enjoy the ride back North. From N/O Wickenburg take 89 through Yarnell and over the Bradshaw Mtns. into Prescott then hit 89A up Mingus Mtn. to Jerome, Cottonwood, Sedona, Oak Creek and Flagstaff. Then you have a couple of choices getting to the Grand Canyon. My choice would be the 180 to the 64 following the Grand Canyon scenic route then head North on 89 towards the North Rim if thats your destination or back South to the 40 and head West to the old Route 66 through Seligman and Oatman then hop over to Laughlin and back to Vegas. Whewwww that will be some good riding. You might want to check out this site www.cyclerides.com for pics and maps of these and other day rides in the area. July will be warm. Scratch that, it's gonna beHOTTT from Vegas to Wickenburg. It will be nice through Prescott, Jerome, Flag and the Grand Canyon. Will beHOTTT again once you get close to Laughlin and back to Vegas. Hope this helps. Enjoy the ride.

Old 10-29-2007 | 06:39 AM
DvlDog
|
Intermediate

Thanks for the advice!