Southwest Arizona | New Mexico | Oklahoma | Texas

Big Bend

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2007, 05:26 PM
oldgeezer
Grand HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Big Bend

I've been through the Dryden, Sanderson, Alpine, Marathon, Marfa area several times but never made it down to Big Bend. Once my wife gets the new Deluxe broken in a little, we plan on heading down that way, probably in a couple of weeks. Any comments, thoughts, ideas?

Thanks,

Pat

Old 05-21-2007, 06:08 PM
Harley Rulz
Banned
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Big Bend

Pat,
Are You gonna stay a couple days?If so,I'd stay at the lode in the Chisos Mountains http://www.nationalparkreservations....end_chisos.htm.Make sure You make the river road ride past Lajitas (Hwy 170).I like the ride down through Marathon better than I do from Alpine.The views are just better.In My opinion,there are only 2 roads in the park worth taking.If You come into the park from Study Butte on Hwy 118,the first right in the park gos to Salina Canyon and dead ends and the Rio Grande.When You come back out,take a right again at the main road and go up to the Chisos Mountains (there are signs) and You'll fall in love with Big Bend.I'm leaving out allot but it's not hard to figure out.Just look for the signs in the park and You'll see everything.

Old 05-21-2007, 07:06 PM
oldgeezer
Grand HDF Member

Hey Craig, When you went up the river on 170, did you ride up to Persidio then back up to Marfa or just ride up a ways and head back? By the way, how's your wife's new ride. Sorry for asking but I've been out of touch for the past few months. Pat

Old 05-21-2007, 08:18 PM
Harley Rulz
Banned

Pat,
I've been on river road a few times.The last time I rode to Ft Davis for the night.If You're not wanting to go that far,then I'd turn around about Redford.It's a whole different look heading back.

I screwed up in the upper post.I like the ride from Alpine on Hwy 118 better than from Marathon.

The Wifes bike is for sale Pat.She decided that she prefers being a passenger.She just can't settle into a comfort zone around all the traffic so off it gos.I'd never forgive Myself if I pushed it and something happened.

P.S.It's real good to see You back on the forum.I've been wondering about You.I tried to call You a while back but the number I have no longer works but I see You've moved.We need to get together for a ride sometime.

Old 05-22-2007, 11:53 AM
oldgeezer
Grand HDF Member

Craig, Thanks for the update. I think we'll be heading down toward Big Bend in a couple of weeks. My wife's Deluxe will hopefully arrive this week and we can get some break in miles in on the long weekend. We are also planning on heading down your way sometime this summer or in the fall. Sorry to hear about your wife's deal. Take comfort in the fact that she is a relaxed passenger rather than an anxious rider. Great to hear from you all again. Pat

Old 05-22-2007, 04:36 PM
bdgreen
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Me & the wife with son in tow will be arriving in Alpine Thursday and hitting the Davis Mountains and then down to Big Bend. We also plan on riding the river road. We've talked about doing this for years and decided it's time.

Old 05-22-2007, 06:57 PM
Harley Rulz
Banned

ORIGINAL: bdgreen

Me & the wife with son in tow will be arriving in Alpine Thursday and hitting the Davis Mountains and then down to Big Bend. We also plan on riding the river road. We've talked about doing this for years and decided it's time.
After You see river road,You wont wait so long next time.It's one of the most beautiful roads I've ever traveled.Don't forget to stop in Lajitas and buy the Mayor a Lonestar beer.I hope You like HOT weather.

Old 05-22-2007, 07:27 PM
JW
Road Captain

if ya cant stay at the park theres a much improved motel in studdy butte the longhorn. and ride into the park just before dawn breaks and eat at the basin resturant beautifull ride and no entrance fee either did I mention I'm a cheap bastige.

look out for da suicidal bunnies though

Old 05-22-2007, 11:09 PM
bdgreen
Banned

With 100% humidity here, I think we'll be OK there. BTW
a group of us are coming through Boerne Aug 10th headed to Bandera and then ride into Leakey on Saturday. If you would like to ride with us you're more than welcome. We are staying at what used to be the Frontier Hotel in the sqaure of Bandera. Giveme a holler if ya feel like ridin'.
ORIGINAL: Harley Rulz

ORIGINAL: bdgreen

After You see river road,You wont wait so long next time.It's one of the most beautiful roads I've ever traveled.Don't forget to stop in Lajitas and buy the Mayor a Lonestar beer.I hope You like HOT weather.