Southwest Arizona | New Mexico | Oklahoma | Texas

Need advice on possible AZ trip

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2015, 08:49 AM
Tony P
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 350 Likes on 217 Posts
Default Need advice on possible AZ trip

On the backend of April I will be in Phoenix on business. Im considering renting a bike and doing the Grand Canyon and Sedona. I have 3 days to get it done before my conference starts. Any thing I need to know, to see, to do?

Old 01-08-2015, 01:36 PM
Mike Horrell
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The weather is likely to be very "iffy" at that time of year, snow in Flagstaff and the Grand Canyon
is pretty common into May. A couple years ago, I got caught in a snow storm in Flagstaff at the
end of May.

I'd wait to arrange a rental until just before you need it and check the weather carefully beforehand.

Old 01-08-2015, 03:13 PM
Tony P
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by Mike Horrell
The weather is likely to be very "iffy" at that time of year, snow in Flagstaff and the Grand Canyon
is pretty common into May. A couple years ago, I got caught in a snow storm in Flagstaff at the
end of May.

I'd wait to arrange a rental until just before you need it and check the weather carefully beforehand.
I didn't stop to think that the weather could be an issue. I only checked for the Phoenix area.

Thanks.

Old 01-08-2015, 11:53 PM
TucAzRider
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You can always ride south if the weather in flag isn't good. I have rode the flagstaff / grand canyon at the end of March without any issues, but they could get a storm. More than likely you will be able to have an enjoyable ride at the end of April.

From Phoenix you can ride to Pinetop / Showlow, than over to Payson, then thru up to Flagstaff. Stay over in flag before making the loop up to the Grand Canyon and back to flagstaff for the night. The third day would be down 89a through Sedona, Cottonwood, Jerome where you will want to spend some time. Lastly through Prescott and back down to Phoenix. That route should be casual riding with time to see some sights.

Old 01-09-2015, 05:33 AM
santajim
Grand HDF Member

Received 329 Likes on 224 Posts

Originally Posted by TucAzRider
You can always ride south if the weather in flag isn't good. I have rode the flagstaff / grand canyon at the end of March without any issues, but they could get a storm. More than likely you will be able to have an enjoyable ride at the end of April.

From Phoenix you can ride to Pinetop / Showlow, than over to Payson, then thru up to Flagstaff. Stay over in flag before making the loop up to the Grand Canyon and back to flagstaff for the night. The third day would be down 89a through Sedona, Cottonwood, Jerome where you will want to spend some time. Lastly through Prescott and back down to Phoenix. That route should be casual riding with time to see some sights.
I agree with this route and if that is to much Payson Strawberry Winslow(Standing on the Corner) then to Flagstaff. But again you need to watch the weather.

Old 01-09-2015, 08:22 AM
billnourse
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 42 Likes on 35 Posts

Phoenix to Prescott to Jerome and Sedona should be doable in April. Also down to Tucson by way of Apache Junction and Florence should be good. In Tucson, a trip to the top of Mt. Lemon is fun, and the Desert Museum is a good place to visit.

I have been through Flagstaff the end of April (Laughlin River Run) numerous times and almost every time the weather has been crappy. Almost always cold and windy, and one time it was 28* with heavy snow. Last time there was no real weather (wind, snow, rain) but it 30* at 11:00 on the morning.

Bill

Old 01-09-2015, 01:23 PM
Tony P
Seasoned HDF Member

Thanks for the responses! Worst case scenario - I take reantl car to the Grand Canyon. Best case - I rent a bike and go south, maybe to Tombstone.

Old 01-10-2015, 08:37 AM
billnourse
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 42 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by Tony P
Thanks for the responses! Worst case scenario - I take reantl car to the Grand Canyon. Best case - I rent a bike and go south, maybe to Tombstone.
Forgot about Tombstone. That is a fun place to hang out for a day, and you could go on to Bisbee. It is a neat old mining town with a good museum and mine tour for your enjoyment.

Bill

Old 01-10-2015, 05:50 PM
TucAzRider
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you go to Tombstone, take the 20 mile ride south to Bisbee... Cool little town..

Old 01-12-2015, 03:45 PM
Tony P
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by TucAzRider
If you go to Tombstone, take the 20 mile ride south to Bisbee... Cool little town..
Thanks! I did the Old Tucson Studios when I was out there business last month.

Quick Reply: Need advice on possible AZ trip