Southeast Alabama | Arkansas | Florida | Georgia | Kentucky | Louisiana | Mississippi | North Carolina | South Carolina | Tennessee | Virginia.

Moving To Millington, TN - What's The Riding Like Year Round

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2013, 11:56 PM
Harley_Charley
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Moving To Millington, TN - What's The Riding Like Year Round

Ok, so I'm moving to Millington, TN (near Memphis) and want to know what to expect for riding weather throughout the year and where are some good rides within the state or on the outskirts of the state.

Thanks to those who respond.

Old 12-15-2013, 08:16 AM
dan conner
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

you can get some pretty detailed info. on the weather channels on the internet. they have all the average highs and lows and rainfall. pick a month and click on--you can find what the average temperature for any day is pretty easily and how much rain usually falls on that day. it is just averages, but should give you an idea.

Old 12-15-2013, 08:26 AM
Stiggy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,817 Likes on 3,171 Posts

Tn and Nc are similar in weather patterns. Our average high in January is 51*, but that puts the lows in the high 20* to low 30* in the mornings. With electric gloves I ride to work pretty much year round except for snow and such. Even the not so hard nosed guys can ride 11 months on good days. Summers rarely get past 90, but high 80's is pretty consistent. ( And you are gonna' love the roads out here!)

Old 12-15-2013, 11:09 AM
camden
Tourer
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Memphis weather is crazy. One day it's 70°, the next day there's an ice storm. No joke. In general, summers are hot and humid. High 90°s or low 100°s are common. Winters are never bitterly cold but can get pretty chilly. It don't stay freezing or below here long.

I have friends with windshields or fairings and cold weather gear that ride nearly all year. I can't do that. Heat I can deal with... cold, not so much. I don't have a windshield or cold weather gear either, so there's that. I'm a mid-50°s and up kinda guy and I can probably go March to October pretty easy.

Gotta be careful 'round here when it rains or snows too. People freak out when one drop of rain or a single snowflake is spotted. Fools here can't drive under normal circumstances. It gets crazier with everybody and their mommas are trying to get to the store for bread and milk so they can ride out the latest predicted snowmageddon.

It's probably no different here than elsewhere, but prepare yourself for texters of all ages, ugly chicks putting on makeup, unbuckled kids crawling around the car while momma's talking on the cell, and every other stupid behavior you can imagine. The people here are the absolute most selfish drivers I have encountered. Keep your head on straight, eyes peeled, and the shiny side up.

As for where to ride... Well, I'm more of an around the town rider, but I hear there ain't much round these parts. I've been told to head over to Arkansas or east Tennessee for that sort of thing. I'm interested in what others have to say on this subject.

Last edited by camden; 12-15-2013 at 12:24 PM.
Old 12-15-2013, 11:40 AM
Gliden
Club Member
Received 35 Likes on 28 Posts

I went to helicopter school there. Used to sell my blood next door to the navy base to get money for booze. That was 36 years ago...lol.
Wasnt much to do but have marines fighting navy guys and drinking.

Last edited by Gliden; 12-18-2013 at 05:02 PM.
Old 12-15-2013, 02:41 PM
TNCarters
Road Master
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Welcome to TN from Nashville. Guess the descriptions above are pretty accurate. I never winterized my Ultra but drop from riding a few times a week to once every 1-2 weeks during the Dec-Feb time. Many local riders with good gear or heated gear ride year round except during our few snows each year. Don't use a tender during the summer but put one on when I'm going to be off the bike over a week. This Dec has been unusually cool but we usually get several 50 degree days a month all winter.

Southern Cruisers RC is pretty active in western and middle TN so might look them up for info. http://www.southerncruiser.com/chapterpage/usa.htm

Old 12-17-2013, 04:48 PM
DaveMK
Road Master
Received 315 Likes on 142 Posts

North Tennessee near Land between the Lakes is a good ride.

Old 12-22-2013, 09:10 PM
Harley_Charley
Road Master

Thanks fellas, looking forward to checking out the Dragon as well.

Old 01-04-2014, 08:06 AM
riderguy57
Cruiser
Location: Minneapolis (full time)/ Fayetteville, AR (part time)

I lived there from 1986-1996. The above descriptions on weather are pretty accurate. I used to ride from about Feb-December 15, then I'd put the bike away for the winter. That was before heated gloves and vest, so you might be able to stretch it out even moreso.

As far as where to go is concerned, from east of Little Rock to west of Jackson, TN there is not much. As someone above stated, Land Between the Lakes is a nice ride, but nothing well out of the ordinary. The Natchez Trace near Tupelo is a fun ride - at 80, but don't get caught above 55 as it is the National Park Police that patrol it, and they don't play nice.

If you have the weekend, go anywhere in Arkansas that is west of a north-south line out of Searcy, AR. You WILL NOT be disappointed. If you don't like twisties, stay away from there then.

Scott

Last edited by riderguy57; 01-04-2014 at 08:39 AM.
Old 01-04-2014, 08:15 AM
srt8
Road Captain
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I grew up there. It sucked I am glad to be gone. Sumer time was so hummid I always thought you could swim through it. It is so flat there(Delta land) so ya go north towards Kentucky and East towards central TN,NC/SC and West towards Little Rock/Mena AR. Good luck not much left of Millington since the base closed/shrank but it will be what you make of it though.

Quick Reply: Moving To Millington, TN - What's The Riding Like Year Round