Southeast Alabama | Arkansas | Florida | Georgia | Kentucky | Louisiana | Mississippi | North Carolina | South Carolina | Tennessee | Virginia.

Riding suggestions out of Statesville NC

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2012, 02:00 PM
Artlee
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Riding suggestions out of Statesville NC

Hello friends. I was hoping to get some riding suggestions. I am looking at renting an HD from Tilley's HD of Statesville NC. I would probably get it on a Saturday at 1PM and have to have it back on Sunday at 1 PM, 24 hours. So, if it were you with these boundaries, where would you ride? Suggestions on a scenic loop with a town/place/motel to spend the night would be welcome. I want to ride some miles, but don't plan to hurry. Also, I'd just as soon avoid crowded areas, if possible. I hope to do this in late April. Just looking for a rough outline at this point. Thanks - Art

Old 03-28-2012, 04:16 PM
buttmonkey
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

You are going to be close to the Diamondback loop. Lake James loop, Elk Creek Darby Road-Buffalo Cove Rd- 268 loop, 181 from Morganton to B.R.P.. All these roads are north and west of Satesville, NC.. maybe go up through Lenoir to Blowing Rock to Boone. You are nearly right in the middle of the greatest roads to ride in the good ol' USA

Old 03-28-2012, 07:02 PM
ChopperPop
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The blue ridge parkway is a good ride, it will most likely have some traffic on it but the major traffic times are in the fall (leaf season). Easter weekend will be jammed up to I bet.

Highway 40 to 321N or into Morganton and hit 181 (Longer ride but more twisties), hop the parkway (Could go North on the Pkwy into Virginia or South Towards Asheville/Cherokee. If you hop the parkway and do go South, Venture North for about 20mins or so and ride the Lynn Cove Viaduct, you are basically on the side of a mountain, very upkept road with guard rails so no worries there, but the view is great.

You could stop in Boone and eat Breakfast (or dinner) at Dan'l Boone inn, its about 10 a head for homestyle all you can eat Bfast or 16ish for dinner (I prefer the Bfast).

Man there are tons of nice roads for someone that hasn't been around this area.. You could go into Pineola/Newland and touch into Tennesee, Roan Mtn is very scenic, they have a Rhodedendron sp? festival around that time. (Carolina BBQ in Newland is pro for grub).

Could come back down by Linville Caverns into Marion and hop back on 40.

Grab a map or check out mapquest, Like I said many routes but I'd prob shoot west into the Mtns. And take a Jacket the temp can drop 15+ degrees after the elevation change and rain can come out of nowhere.

I'll try to keep an eye on this thread if you have any Q's I'm in Morganton (20mins west of Hickory) I'll answer what I can, You'll have a great ride for sure.

Old 03-28-2012, 08:29 PM
Artlee
Outstanding HDF Member

Thanks for the replies buttmonkey and Chopperpop. I'll digest your suggestions and start forming a plan. I do plan on heading west out of Statesville towards the BRP and was thinking of riding the BRP some. I have actually been in West NC before, but it was many years ago and I was working, just trying to get from pt A to pt B. Did stay in Boone once at some hotel with a water wheel or something on the front lawn and drank in a brewpub there in Boone. I remember that West NC is beautiful. Looking forward to riding it.
Here's a question. Are the views better going N on the BRP or S?
Thanks again.

Old 03-29-2012, 08:53 AM
ChopperPop
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Artlee
Thanks for the replies buttmonkey and Chopperpop. I'll digest your suggestions and start forming a plan. I do plan on heading west out of Statesville towards the BRP and was thinking of riding the BRP some. I have actually been in West NC before, but it was many years ago and I was working, just trying to get from pt A to pt B. Did stay in Boone once at some hotel with a water wheel or something on the front lawn and drank in a brewpub there in Boone. I remember that West NC is beautiful. Looking forward to riding it.
Here's a question. Are the views better going N on the BRP or S?
Thanks again.
North imo. North is way longer though. South is cool too though. My mitchell is a site tallest mtn around. It can be warm at the bottom and iced over at the top. They have hiking trails and a mediocre eating joint up top too. If you do go south like io said hit north for few miles first just to experience the via duct.

Old 03-31-2012, 05:59 PM
Artlee
Outstanding HDF Member

So, the plan is, renting a Switchback from Tilley's HD Statesville. Riding to the hotel in Switzerland NC, ride the Diamondback, some BRP and ?? Roan Mt. - so many choices!
Thanks guys. Really looking forward to it.

Old 03-31-2012, 11:08 PM
cosmo glider
Stellar HDF Member
Received 506 Likes on 198 Posts

Get your map out. From Tilley's take I-77N to I-40W, then Hwy.115N. This route will get you out of Statesville (and traffic) quickly, on a good country road, and the shortest route to the mountains and the BRP.

Stay on 115 until it intersects with Hwy.18N. Get ready for some twisties and one sweet scenic road all the way to the BRP. Just 1/8th of a mile past the BRP overpass on 18 (Laurel Springs, N.C.) is a restaurant / motel that caters to bikers (good burger). Getting here from Statesville will take you about 90-120 minutes.

Take the BRP south from Laurel Springs.

Go as far south as time allows. There are several routes off the BRP (for overnite motel?) and/or out of the mountains that will begin to take you back to Statesville. From north to south on the BRP they are: Hwy.16, Hwy 421 to Wilkesboro; Hwy.321 to Hickory (daylight might be getting scarce about now and time for a motel room in Boone or Blowing Rock); Hwy.181 to Morganton; Hwy.221, Hwy 226, and Hwy. 80 to Marion; or, from Asheville I-40E.

Look where you're going on the BRP, and I'd suggest rain gear.

Last edited by cosmo glider; 03-31-2012 at 11:25 PM.
Old 04-01-2012, 08:14 AM
Artlee
Outstanding HDF Member

Thank you for the very detailed reply Cosmo, I appreciate that.
As it stands for me now, I have a room reserved ( waiting for confirmation ) at the Switzerland Inn in Little Switzerland NC. I am thinking that I may take your suggested route back to Statesville on Sunday Cosmo, when I have to return the bike. I would like to see the Viaduct too. I definitely will be packing rain gear and my NC Atlas and Gazeteer. One thing is for sure, there are more roads to ride and places to see than 24 hours on a rental will allow! I will have another weekend free in Raleigh in May, maybe I can try some other places then - it's all good.
So thanks again friends. If y'all have any questions about riding in Maine, I stand ready to assist. PM me if you like. Thank you ALL and ride safe.

Old 04-29-2012, 07:12 PM
Artlee
Outstanding HDF Member

So got back from my 24 hr rental. Rode 70W out of Statesville to Marion, then 226 and the Diamondback to Little Switzerland. Checked in to the inn and then went up Mt. Mitchell. Today was BRP north over the viaduct till I hit 421 to Wilksboro. Wilksboro to 115S back to Statesville.
Man all I can say is wow! You guys that live close or ride this area often are some fortunate riders. I hope to be able to come back and ride some other pieces someday. Or hell, just move there so I could ride it most anytime! Ride safe and enjoy.

Old 05-01-2012, 05:39 AM
skootchnc
Grand HDF Member
Veteran: Air Force
Received 502 Likes on 260 Posts

Originally Posted by Artlee
You guys that live close or ride this area often are some fortunate riders. I hope to be able to come back and ride some other pieces someday. Or hell, just move there so I could ride it most anytime! Ride safe and enjoy.
That's why I LOVE living in Raleigh....
the the VA section of the parkways is just 3 hours away(via back roads)... I can hit it, and take in a good chunk of the BRP, before taking moer great back roads home. AND hit the beach, in even less time.
Anytime I have the ready cash.... a week end trip to western NC, is first on MY list of money burning
I have the option of slabbing it west, to the mountains... or taking a longer, more enjoyable back roads.

The best of everything.... head north away from town and after 5 miles.. it's all farm land... east to the beach, west to the mountains. Only direction I avoid, is south...flat staight roads that way....