Southeast Alabama | Arkansas | Florida | Georgia | Kentucky | Louisiana | Mississippi | North Carolina | South Carolina | Tennessee | Virginia.

Myrtle Beach Spring Rally 12'

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2012, 07:34 PM
MBLOLYFE
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Myrtle Beach Spring Rally 12'

Anybody making plans for this year?

Old 01-13-2012, 01:28 PM
springer-skid
Intermediate
Default 2012 Myrtle beach rally

We haven't missed one in years.

Old 01-13-2012, 01:32 PM
Cowboy Rob
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 2,574 Likes on 1,498 Posts

We will be there again too.

Old 01-13-2012, 01:34 PM
Retrax
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

They made it clear a few years back they don't want us there. I even had a personal email exchange with their City Manager confirming it. No thanks. I'll spend my money elsewhere...

"If there were any lingering doubts about whether motorcyclists would be welcome for the long-standing Myrtle Beach Bike Week in 2009, the city’s mayor has made it clear that they’re not. According to the website Myrtlebeachbikerinfo.com, the mayor of the South Carolina coastal town, John Rhodes, declares that “Effective 2009, Myrtle Beach, SC will no longer host motorcycle rallies.” The website was designed by the Myrtle Beach Area Chamber of Commerce and lists 15 new rules and regulations the City Council has come up with in order to deter the gathering.

“Myrtle Beach is no longer the location for two long-running motorcycle events. After many years, our residents grew weary of three weeks of noise and traffic congestion each May, and they asked City Council to end the events. As a result, the Harley-Davidson Dealers Association Spring Rally and the Atlantic Beach Memorial Day Bikefest will not be held in Myrtle Beach,” Rhodes wrote.

To discourage bikers, the city has implemented stricter noise and muffler rules, will be enforcing a helmet law within Myrtle Beach itself, has established rules against large parties in parking lots and has tightened curfews on juveniles. Increased police DUI checkpoints have been mentioned as possible points for sound emission tests as well."

Old 01-13-2012, 01:40 PM
Cowboy Rob
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 2,574 Likes on 1,498 Posts

The business' owners love the rally,and so does most of the average people in MB. It's the rich retirees who have a problem with the rally. I use 31,and 544 to visit NMB and Surfiside Beach,and Murrell's Inlet,so it doesn't bother me. The cops in the city though don't bother you unless you speed,you speed and and you are going to get a ticket!

Old 01-13-2012, 01:46 PM
Xcrossbow
Stellar HDF Member
Received 279 Likes on 177 Posts

Originally Posted by metfancowboy
The business' owners love the rally,and so does most of the average people in MB. It's the rich retirees who have a problem with the rally. I use 31,and 544 to visit NMB and Surfiside Beach,and Murrell's Inlet,so it doesn't bother me. The cops in the city though don't bother you unless you speed,you speed and and you are going to get a ticket!
Exactly what he said is the way it is.

Yes will be there.

Old 01-13-2012, 01:56 PM
Retrax
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't doubt you guys but the City Officials said otherwise. I think the guy I communicated with was named Mike Heath. He claimed they had a coalition made up of the city's business owners and that the city officials, the business owners, and the citizens of the community had enough with the traffic and noise and they wanted it all gone.

I told him I thought the parties involved would think otherwise when they lost all that business revenue and taxes would go up for locals. He said otherwise and said he had the backing of the forementioned people. He was very pointed in the message that rally goers were not welcome and defended the passing of all the new rules targeting motorcycles as an effort to keep them away.

That was good enough for me.

Old 01-13-2012, 04:25 PM
Xcrossbow
Stellar HDF Member
Received 279 Likes on 177 Posts

Originally Posted by Retrax
I don't doubt you guys but the City Officials said otherwise. I think the guy I communicated with was named Mike Heath. He claimed they had a coalition made up of the city's business owners and that the city officials, the business owners, and the citizens of the community had enough with the traffic and noise and they wanted it all gone.

I told him I thought the parties involved would think otherwise when they lost all that business revenue and taxes would go up for locals. He said otherwise and said he had the backing of the forementioned people. He was very pointed in the message that rally goers were not welcome and defended the passing of all the new rules targeting motorcycles as an effort to keep them away.

That was good enough for me.
I don't doubt that a Myrtle Beach City official told you this. However, my personal experience has been that the neighboring cities (Surfside, Murrell's Inlet, North Myrtle Beach) don't give a rats azz about what MB thinks or does and THEY are still biker friendly and you can still have a great time without ever entering the town limits of MB. Hard to pass up plenty of sunshine, no f**king helmet and friendly and good looking women. JMO

Old 01-14-2012, 08:37 AM
FlyinJ
Cruiser

I will be there, as I have for the past 6 years. Crowds were up last year even in the fall.

Old 01-14-2012, 09:39 AM
mplecha
Stellar HDF Member
Received 165 Likes on 102 Posts

No thanks. I have just a little too much self respect to go. You guys have fun, though.

Quick Reply: Myrtle Beach Spring Rally 12'