Southeast Alabama | Arkansas | Florida | Georgia | Kentucky | Louisiana | Mississippi | North Carolina | South Carolina | Tennessee | Virginia.

Visiting OBX from NJ...ideas needed?

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2011, 05:13 PM
ptl203
Road Warrior
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Visiting OBX from NJ...ideas needed?

Hey guys...I may be coming down from NJ to the OBX during the week of May 16th. How's the weather during that time? Just coming down with the wife trailering the bike. Im looking for things for us to do in the area and where to stay. We aren't big party animals but looking for day things/rides to do. Not sure if I wanna stay in a hotel or a cottage. Looking for input...thanks

Old 04-24-2011, 09:16 PM
nopetrol
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not so much 'something to do' as a tip.... You a coffee guy? There's a place called 'Ugly Mugs' in Avon. Great coffee, great baked stuff to go with it. Run by a pair of nice girls. You can buy an ugly mug too. I make it a point to go as many mornings as I can when we are in town to fish.

Old 04-25-2011, 09:54 AM
skootchnc
Grand HDF Member
Veteran: Air Force
Received 501 Likes on 259 Posts

The Outter Banks, is very different from the Jersey Shore (as a ex-jersey boy, I know what I've seen)
Very laid back... lots of great places to hoist a few, or chow down... and a lot of touristy things, like lighthouses, museums etc

Temps average in the mid seventies... usually a breeze. Roads are pretty flat, straight, and boring.

Depends on where you're staying, Day trips to New Bern, Bsath, Bell Haven, Wilmington, heck.. Raleigh is a LONG day trip

Old 04-25-2011, 02:13 PM
ptl203
Road Warrior
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Thanks guys. I am gonna be bringing the wife who doesnt care for highway riding so I will be staying in the Outerbanks area. Just lookin for a getaway for a few days

Old 04-27-2011, 06:52 AM
BigDaddyMike
Club Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

EXCELLENT riding all over the Outer Banks! Ride up and down the National Sea Shore, take the ferry to Ocakroke Island, eat at the Black Pelican in Kitty Hawk, and Awful Arthurs Oyster Bar. Stop in at Outer Banks HD for some great route suggestions and enjoy the quiet and the great weather that time of year! Oh yeah, don't forget the beach, they are nice too! If you've never been here and you come, I am sure you'll be back. I live 2 hours away and ride there for lunch or the day a lot !

Old 04-27-2011, 08:02 AM
brennanmg
Intermediate
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just got back from there. Try taking HWY12S from Nags Head all the way to the Hateras lighthouse. Its a good scenic ride and you can see the tallest in N. America. You can also hit up the Wright Bros. monument. Its a great place to ride and relax. As for lodging, there are no shortages any time of year.

Old 05-03-2011, 12:12 PM
wjl24
Road Captain
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Been there the last two years. Would prefer to go again this year but we're going back to Myrtle bike week.

Restaurants;
Awful Arthurs - Mile point 6, Beach road, kill devil hills
Red Drum - MP10.5, beach rd, nags head
Tortuga's Lie - MP11, beach rd, nags head - this one doesn't look like much

Ride the ferry over to Ocracoke Island - Howards Pub & Restaurant

Corolla - Rent jeep and ride the beach where Mustangs run free. Nice.
Stop at Timbuck II shopping center and good food at North Banks Restaurant & Raw bar - excellent key lime pie

Want a day trip, long ride, back roads and several ferries -
Beaufort, NC - several good restaurants on the water