Southeast Alabama | Arkansas | Florida | Georgia | Kentucky | Louisiana | Mississippi | North Carolina | South Carolina | Tennessee | Virginia.

Tail of the Dragon

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2006, 02:29 AM
ScReaMnEagLE22
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tail of the Dragon

Im going to be taking a drive up from South Florida up to Tennesee for Christmas this coming December. We are renting a log cabin up in the Smoky mountains and I figured it wouldnt be the same if I could get my bike over there. I gave it enough thought and im going to be trailering mine and my brothers fatboy to take a ride on the famous Tail of the Dragon.

What can you guys tell me about this Tail of the dragon. Is it going to be worth taking the bikes up there ? Im going to do some research and find out exactly how long of a ride we are going to have ... I cant wait to ride the Smoky Mountains . Any recomendations are welcome. TIA

Old 10-02-2006, 06:01 AM
MACK
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Default RE: Tail of the Dragon

NOT THE BEST TIME OF THE YEAR TO DO THAT. WILL BE COLD AND MAY EVEN HAVE SNOW. OVER 300 TURNS IN 11 MILES CAN TAKE FROM A HALF HOUR TO 2 HOURS DEPENDING ON TRAFFIC. LOTS OF CROTCH ROCKET RIDERS MAKE IT DANGEROUS FOR EVERYONE SINCE THEY TEND TO SPEED AND CAN TAKE THE CURVES FASTER THAN CONVENTIONAL BIKES LIKE YOURS. WORTH IT BUT I WOULD PICK A DIFFERENT TIME OF THE YEAR.

Old 10-02-2006, 11:40 AM
rountree
Cruiser

Its is a road everyone should ride at least once, but to be honest there are plenty of good roads all over the Blue Ridge. 28 is a good ride all the way from Highlands to Deals Gap. I recently rode NC80 east of Ashville and that was a great road too that leads up to the BRP. Mad Maps has some good routes, but in December I would be careful with higher elevations due to ice.

Old 10-02-2006, 11:49 AM
sleepneagle
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

even in June there was ice in tunnels on Skyline from Asheville to Cherokee. Just got back again from Gatlinburg, no ice this time but the mornings were leather weather. December is cold in the area. I would strongly suggest going to Maggie Valley and the Wheels through Time museum. Dale has done a geat job and continually adding. I have been through 3 times so far and each time, something new.

Old 10-02-2006, 11:06 PM
cowboy Harry
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I wouldnt bring the bike at that time unless the weather here is unsesonably warmer than usaul. It will probaly be colder than hell. And Ice on a curve = Opps on your tombstone. [8D]

Old 10-03-2006, 12:41 AM
John TN
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I have to agree with the dangerous road conditions that can be met during that time of year. Even if the weather is nice in the valleys it can change in a minute up at those elevations. Make you own choice, but it can be dangerous even in a car that time of year.

Old 10-06-2006, 02:17 PM
DragonNester
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The odds aren't in your favor for good enough weather to make it worth while, but check http://www.dealsgap.com/ for road conditions and forecast before you leave. It should be up to date enough to give you the info. you need to decide if you should take you scooter or not or just call.

Old 10-06-2006, 02:54 PM
rpt63
Tourer

Bad time of year to go. Went up to N.C. to see some brothers of mine and rode on the Dragon in late June, what a blast
318 turns times 2(had to go back in to N.C.) Try to plan the trip when the weather will be better. You can rent rooms there at Deals Gap at the beginning of the tail. Good luck, safe riding. P.S. check out killboy.com

Old 10-06-2006, 06:41 PM
Wolhar
Banned
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

80 is better North of the BRP, leads to 19A. Not many roads in this area that AINT great!
ORIGINAL: rountree

Its is a road everyone should ride at least once, but to be honest there are plenty of good roads all over the Blue Ridge. 28 is a good ride all the way from Highlands to Deals Gap. I recently rode NC80 east of Ashville and that was a great road too that leads up to the BRP. Mad Maps has some good routes, but in December I would be careful with higher elevations due to ice.

Old 10-08-2006, 11:52 PM
RockyTopRider
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I live about 25 miles from the Dragon and ride it year round. Rode it on my way home from the BRP today. You could get a great day to ride it in December. As others have mentioned it is a road everyone should ride it at least once, but there are better roads to ride in the area. Check out
http://www.blueridgeparkway.org/
http://www.byways.org/browse/byways/12811/travel.html
http://www.cherohala.com/

One easy way for you to tell what the weather is like is to go to http://www2.nature.nps.gov/air/webca...am/grsmcam.htm
It is a camera that is located on Look Rock Tower which is very close to the Dragon. Additional information such as temp. and visibility range are on it also.

Quick Reply: Tail of the Dragon