Southeast Alabama | Arkansas | Florida | Georgia | Kentucky | Louisiana | Mississippi | North Carolina | South Carolina | Tennessee | Virginia.

dragons tail

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2011, 04:50 PM
goose136
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default dragons tail

hello me and some buddys are thinking about a road trip that way in mid may.thinking about staying around ashville any tips on good place to rent two harleys? a streetglide and a ulta glide going to trailer two.looking for something different daytona is getting old.i am thinking should do the dragon and ride the mountians.any advise would be good.or tips?

Old 01-14-2011, 01:53 AM
Avmech97
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Smoky Mountains,Foothills Parkway,Cherohala Skyway are good rides as is Hwy. 360 between Tellico Plains and Vonore Tn.

Old 01-14-2011, 06:44 AM
GeorgeWW
Advanced

I am planning to go there this June. I have been doing alot of looking around. I added the sites that I found to my blog. Two really good camping/cabin areas are Hog's Heaven Resort in TN, and Hunts Lodge in TN. Check out the links on my Blog http://hd-wilson-moto.blogspot.com/ There is also several really good ride links there too. I will be adding more when I get the chance.

Old 01-14-2011, 07:40 AM
veegee
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Avmech97
Smoky Mountains,Foothills Parkway,Cherohala Skyway are good rides as is Hwy. 360 between Tellico Plains and Vonore Tn.

Old 01-14-2011, 09:49 AM
mongoose
Tourer

Advice: you're only in FL...ride to TN.

Old 01-14-2011, 01:35 PM
skootchnc
Grand HDF Member
Veteran: Air Force
Received 503 Likes on 261 Posts

Originally Posted by goose136
hello me and some buddys are thinking about a road trip that way in mid may.thinking about staying around ashville any tips on good place to rent two harleys? a streetglide and a ulta glide going to trailer two.looking for something different daytona is getting old.i am thinking should do the dragon and ride the mountians.any advise would be good.or tips?
Personally... I doubt the wisdom of renting a bike, and doing the dragon...
It aain't hard, but it is rather technical... and might not be a lot of fun, on a strange bike.... but that's just ME...

Iron Horse motorcycle Lodge, Kickstand Motorcycle lodge, and of course Deal's Gap, are right there... but.... Graham is a dry county, so you'll have to haul in your own "adult beverages"... and if you do that... get extras for your new friends.
Lots of folks stay in Robbinsville, but it's the same dry county.

I like Ridgetop in Bryson City... plentyof good places for foor , a few blocks away... real nice folks own/run it, and the Shell station, at the light, sells beer.

Old 01-14-2011, 07:13 PM
goose136
Cruiser

i feel the same about a strange bike. but two guys fell on hard times and sold there bikes and don't want to go back in dedt. but hey thats them did advise them to buy the extra insurance just in case!!as far as riding from fl. my back would never take that.i am good for a couple hours then i need vicoden and muscle relaxers have to come out!!then in a few min. i feel better!!

Old 01-14-2011, 07:21 PM
djaudette
Road Master

i feel the same about a strange bike. but two guys fell on hard times and sold there bikes and don't want to go back in dedt. but hey thats them did advise them to buy the extra insurance just in case!!as far as riding from fl. my back would never take that.i am good for a couple hours then i need vicoden and muscle relaxers have to come out!!then in a few min. i feel better!!
I always stay in these log cabins. Great prices, plenty to do around there and they have hot tubs to soak in after the long days of riding the hills.

http://www.carolinamountainvacations.com/

Old 01-14-2011, 08:48 PM
Pine Tree

Received 1,964 Likes on 463 Posts

Living about three hours from the Dragon, I've done it a couple of times.

FWIW, try to avoid weekend rides...if the weather is good, one can expect a lot of rocket bike and sports car traffic (six or eight Cobra's sound awesome powering up and thru the corners) mixed in with the large trucks or campers.

For me, that kind of traffic on that road not only ruins the ride but is potentially deadly too.

Have a blast but keep your wits about you!

Old 01-15-2011, 06:07 PM
FBFletch
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Western NC Ride

Been to the Dragon many times. About the only reason I go anymore is to take folks who have never been before. To me, there's nothing particularly special about the Dragon but everybody should probably do it once just to say they've been there.

If you're going to rent in Asheville and head toward the Dragon, the route I like to take folks is as follows:

1) I-40 West to Hwy 23 South
2) Hwy 23 South to Hwy 74 West/19 South
3) Hwy 74 West / 19 South to Hwy 28 West (you'll come to 28 East first which exits to the left - however continue South on 74/19 till you get to 28 west which exits to the right)
4) Hwy 28 West is known as Hellbender 28. May want to stop at Fontana Dam to snap some photos. There's also the Hellbender 28 Pitstop right before you get to Fontana Dam. Good place to gas up and pick up trinkets.
5) Hwy 28 will end at Hwy 127 right at Deal's Gap. You'll want to stop at the gift shop at Deal's Gap and pick up some trinkets and get your picture taken in front of the Tree of Shame.
6) The Tail of the Dragon starts about 1/2 mile past the store at Deal's Gap at the NC/TN line.
7) At the end of the Dragon be very careful. Big time speed trap. Pick up Hwy 72 at the end of the Dragon out to Hwy 411 South (four lane).
8) As someone already mentioned, take 411 South to Vonore and then pick up Hwy 360 down to Tellico Plains.
9) In Tellico Plains take a left onto Hwy 165. This starts the Cherohola Skyway which is in my opinion the best road in the area.
10) At the NC line Hwy 165 turns into Hwy 143 and will take you to Hwy 127 in Robbinsville.
11) I usually take 127 back out to Hwy 19 which I take back north towards Asheville. This takes you back through the Nantahala Gorge right by the Nantahala River.

Well. Hope this helps.

Fletch

Quick Reply: dragons tail