Southeast Alabama | Arkansas | Florida | Georgia | Kentucky | Louisiana | Mississippi | North Carolina | South Carolina | Tennessee | Virginia.

Blue Ridge Parkway, Dragon's Tail, Skyline Drive early June

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2010, 09:34 PM
Cooner
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile Blue Ridge Parkway, Dragon's Tail, Skyline Drive early June

How's the weather in early June? I am planning to ride up to DC and do Rolling Thunder and than head South, after a visit to Manassas, down Skyline Drive, around the Dragon's Tail, and the Blue Ridge Parkway.

I have heard when in the mountains one is up pretty high, just wondering about the weather. Will it rain alot?

Any info will be helpful.

TIA, Mark

Old 12-29-2010, 10:04 PM
vaham
Road Master
Received 63 Likes on 34 Posts

Rolling Thunder is 30 May this coming year, and it is generally quite hot in DC by then.. It will be a little cooler up in the mountains, but should be decent riding weather. Rain is always a possibility, but we really don't have much of a "rainy season" as such. It can rain on any given day. Skyline drive is 35mph, it doesn't take too long to decide to bail out and find alternative backroads down to Afton, VA and the Blue Ridge Parkway, where the speed limit jumps up to a whopping 45 mph.. Best of luck in your travels, sounds like a pretty ambitious trip from WA and back! Who knows, I might be there myself (might as well make it 11 out of 11).

Last edited by vaham; 12-29-2010 at 10:07 PM.
Old 12-30-2010, 04:37 AM
Cooner
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile Rolling Thunder

Thanks for the information, btw, I should have mentioned I am presently working in New Orleans and will leave and return here. Although if I was in Washington I would still set out for this year's run as the years are starting to pile on and I better do everything now, LOL. I have been meaning to go for years and have never made the time, this is the year.

Very glad to hear that the weather will not be that bad, no winter like storms. A little rain here and there is doable, just don't want to ride up and back in driving rain.

Thanks again.

TTYS, Mark