Southeast Alabama | Arkansas | Florida | Georgia | Kentucky | Louisiana | Mississippi | North Carolina | South Carolina | Tennessee | Virginia.

Questions about NW South Carolina

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2010, 08:50 AM
wiseguyups
Tourer
Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Questions about NW South Carolina

Looking at different sites on the internet it looks as though there's a lot of rain in this area. Is it down pours a few times a month or quite a few days with rain.
Going to be retiring and it looks like you can ride pretty much year round there.
Thanks for any reply's

Old 10-04-2010, 06:50 AM
skootchnc
Grand HDF Member
Veteran: Air Force
Received 503 Likes on 261 Posts

Check out ACCUWEATHER. com.... or WEATHER.com and probably the other sites as well. Most of them can give you a month by month, as well as a day by day historic breakdown.
Of course weather is fickle..... here in NC September 2010 was on track for setting the dry record and then we had 4 days of constant heavy rain., so we averaged out to "normal" if not slightly dry....
Except for ice storms, or a hurricane you COULD ride year -round in the SC "upstate". Particulary given your current Ohio location.... LOL there might be a day... or even a week, where conditions wouldn't allow, but unless you land in a "snow zone" you'd be fine

Old 10-18-2010, 09:54 PM
Gadgetech
Club Member
Received 52 Likes on 41 Posts

I live in the Greenville, SC area and the weather is somewhat hard to predict for this area. I'll ride in the NW part of SC, NE part of GA and SW NC, SE TN and if there is a 30% chance of rain predicted anywhere in that area...there is a 90% chance your going to get wet at some point. It may only be a quick pass through but it's highly likely you'll get wet, especially after 2-3 pm. The smokey mountains make it very hard to predict the weather since there's no telling what will happen once it comes across the range. If the weather system comes from GA, we will all but definitely get the rain but if it comes across TN, then it's hit or miss. We are currently in a drought status...again...but that doesn't mean you won't see any precip. I've been in a downpour that lasted 2 miles on HWY 11 on a bright sunny day but it was enough to ruin my ride since I was soaking wet. I've developled my own weather forcast. 20% rain predicted = 30% chance you'll see weather somewhere in the area I mentioned above, 30% rain predicted = 90% chance you'll get wet somewhere along the route. If you plan to ride the Blue Ridge Parkway...don't go without rain gear as it is highly likely to get precip no matter what the forecast is anywhere else and it's likely to be at least 20 degrees cooler. I rode the parkway a couple weeks ago and it was below 40 up there, foggy (read heavy and wet) and windy but off the parkway was about 60 or so and had just missed a quick 30% predicted shower). You can ride about 10 months out of the year and be in the 40s or higher, don't see much snow...mainly ice. It's not like we get a ton of rain, but we do have the occassional quick shower and if you are prepared in advance, it's never an issue. The roads, people and weather (for the most part) are great here.

Last edited by Gadgetech; 10-18-2010 at 09:57 PM.
Old 10-19-2010, 08:08 AM
mplecha
Stellar HDF Member
Received 167 Likes on 103 Posts

What exactly is your question? I didn't see one in your post.