Southeast Alabama | Arkansas | Florida | Georgia | Kentucky | Louisiana | Mississippi | North Carolina | South Carolina | Tennessee | Virginia.

Dyno Tuners

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2010, 07:53 AM
SC-Longhair
Club Member
Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Karz, I'm not looking for a free dyno run.

As far as your friend who went with "bigger" cams (what does that mean?) not needing a dyno tune...could be possible if your friend has one of the auto-tune options installed.

Old 06-02-2010, 11:40 AM
karz10
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SC-Longhair
Karz, I'm not looking for a free dyno run.

As far as your friend who went with "bigger" cams (what does that mean?) not needing a dyno tune...could be possible if your friend has one of the auto-tune options installed.
I know you're not looking for a free dyno run, my point was that since you were looking for a tuner, whoever runs that dyno probably has a tuner or access to a tuner that you could talk to for a quote comparison, maybe they use someone you already know, or maybe it would be a new person to compare to who you already know...

Let me know how it turns out.

I don't think he has an auto tuner installed, I think he had a stage 1 breather w/ bigger pipes and a hd download, as far as I know, and when his cam chain tensioners went bad, he spent about $1200 to go to gear drives and some sort of upgraded cams, so w/out an auto tune device, I would assume it would be worth a shot for him to have someone take a look at it, but I really don't know, that's why I was wanting to get some names to talk to for him, because I'd like to learn more about the situation myself. At some point I will have to make a decision about my cam chain tensioners, and if you do decide to go gear drive, you really might as well put upgraded cams in it, because the gears reverse the direction of one of the cams and you have to replace at least one of them anyway, as far as I know, so I'd like to know how this affects everything and if you need an auto tuner or what....

Old 06-02-2010, 11:44 AM
SC-Longhair
Club Member

Originally Posted by karz10
I know you're not looking for a free dyno run, my point was that since you were looking for a tuner, whoever runs that dyno probably has a tuner or access to a tuner that you could talk to for a quote comparison, maybe they use someone you already know, or maybe it would be a new person to compare to who you already know...

Let me know how it turns out.

I don't think he has an auto tuner installed, I think he had a stage 1 breather w/ bigger pipes and a hd download, as far as I know, and when his cam chain tensioners went bad, he spent about $1200 to go to gear drives and some sort of upgraded cams, so w/out an auto tune device, I would assume it would be worth a shot for him to have someone take a look at it, but I really don't know, that's why I was wanting to get some names to talk to for him, because I'd like to learn more about the situation myself. At some point I will have to make a decision about my cam chain tensioners, and if you do decide to go gear drive, you really might as well put upgraded cams in it, because the gears reverse the direction of one of the cams and you have to replace at least one of them anyway, as far as I know, so I'd like to know how this affects everything and if you need an auto tuner or what....

Ooooh, sorry I misunderstood you.

Well, I had a 'free' dyno run last year in Greenville while at QS&L bike night. It cost me $20 for two runs. Greenville is a 4hr ride for me but I was staying in Cola at the time for job training 4 night a week so I took a ride up to have a lil fun, frolic with the strippers and a cold one.

Old 06-03-2010, 05:40 AM
eisterd
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Did you look up Old Skool Customs in Marshville, nc? I didn't think to ask when I was there, too busy looking at stuff

Old 06-03-2010, 05:59 AM
lionsm13
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 75,540 Likes on 22,683 Posts

How's your bike runnin' now SC since the updates?

Old 06-03-2010, 08:22 AM
SC-Longhair
Club Member

Originally Posted by eisterd
Did you look up Old Skool Customs in Marshville, nc? I didn't think to ask when I was there, too busy looking at stuff
I've passed the sign several times over the past few months. Never stopped in there because I'm usually passing on a sunday. Just works out that way. lol I could give them a call today. With a name like 'old skool' I'd think they weren't in the dyno tuning business but who knows. A phone call is free.

Originally Posted by lionsm13
How's your bike runnin' now SC since the updates?
I haven't gotten it tuned yet. It runs ok. The need for a tune is pretty big at this point. I haven't really gone out for any long rides since doing the cam swap. It's still stumbles just a little bit from 0-1500/2000 rpm.

Dare I say...I'm going to call two dealers in my area (90mi away and 45mi away). They both have dynos. Not sure if they will tune a pcIII. We'll see what they say, price-wise.

Old 06-03-2010, 08:32 PM
acchd
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 72 Likes on 53 Posts

Here's a lookup of Dynojet approved tuning centers.
http://www.powercommander.com/powerc...s/Default.aspx

Old 06-03-2010, 09:08 PM
SC-Longhair
Club Member

Thanks Acchd...been there, done that.

The one guy I found from that list is RC's cycles in Laurinburg, nc. His primary business, per his website is sportbikes. and if you scroll back a few responses you'll see the quote I took from his site regarding "he not only tunes at 100% wot but also 0%-100%"...like that should even be an option (which no way in hell should it be). I didn't feel based on what I read that I wanted to even think about giving him my cash. He is not that far away.

Last edited by SC-Longhair; 06-03-2010 at 09:11 PM.
Old 06-03-2010, 09:40 PM
rglay
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just my two cents.
Wouldn't trust Doug"s in Florence for anything.
Thunder Tower in Cola did some work on my RK a while back when I was in the area and in a pinch.
MB, in my opinion, is the best. Go to the main shop on the south end, get with Adam. He'll set you straight.

Old 06-03-2010, 10:16 PM
SC-Longhair
Club Member

Rg... lol I called Doug's today just to see what their deal was. $200 for a tune and I wasn't allowed to watch because the Dyno is in the service area. "Yeah, sure, Spider can hook you up no problem."

I'm not really a fan of TTHD. Although I have used them before for simple things like tire changes. A 1hr tire change turned into almost 4hrs. I don't know how educated their dyno guys are.

When you say, MB..you mean MB HD or Myrtle Beach Performance / Maiko.

MB HD is just about 2.5-3hr ride for me.

Quick Reply: Dyno Tuners