Southeast Alabama | Arkansas | Florida | Georgia | Kentucky | Louisiana | Mississippi | North Carolina | South Carolina | Tennessee | Virginia.

Georgia ABATE Legislative Luncheon (2/18)

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2010, 03:46 PM
Bluzmn59
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Georgia ABATE Legislative Luncheon (2/18)

I did not even know this forum existed until Georgia Girl pointed it out to me, but here is my take from yesterday at the capitol:

The new leadership of ABATE is really turning things around. I spent some time after lunch walking the capitol with our District Coordinator, a former state senator. We talked to some people, including the Chairman of the Transportation committee and it looks like we have an excellent chance to pass the bill allowing motorcyclists to proceed through red lights that are not tripped by bikes. This follows our success last year in pushing through a bill that calls for enhanced penalties for FTYROW. We are also laying the groundwork for the Freedom of Choice bill (helmets) and delivered over 4,000 letters in favor of it to the House. Realistically, it will not pass this year, but I am optimistic about next year. Finally, we are trying to figure out how to push some sort of anti-discrimination legislation next session.

Folks, we need you. I don't care if you pay your membership and then throw your card in a drawer and never attend a meeting (although active participation would be awesome). But ABATE is trying to work the legislative process for all of us and we need your numbers. When we show up to talk to a politician and can say we represent a voting block of 10,000+, it matters. Please join. [/rant]

Old 02-19-2010, 07:54 PM
krountre
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sounds like ABATE is doing great things. Do you have a URL? If ya'll can have as much success as GeorgiaCarry.Org has for gun rights I'd be glad to send you a check, even from all the way down there in South Georgia. I'd love to have freedom of choice for my helmet! Good thing is I'm only 50 miles away from Florida where I do have that choice.

Old 02-19-2010, 08:11 PM
lrays280z
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm glad that you mentioned this. I live in N. GA and a buddy of mine and another lady that works in an area restaurant has been talking to me about joining ABATE. There's a group that meets in Chatsworth, GA (NW GA). I've heard some good things about this group.

Old 02-20-2010, 07:03 AM
Bluzmn59
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Here is the website. http://www.abatega.org/ ABATE has struggled in the last few years, but we now have new leadership at the state level and things are actually turning around quicker than I hoped for. We are utilizing our resources better and I see good things ahead.