Southeast Alabama | Arkansas | Florida | Georgia | Kentucky | Louisiana | Mississippi | North Carolina | South Carolina | Tennessee | Virginia.

Where Should I Move?

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2010, 10:31 AM
sknyfats
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Where Should I Move?

Hi everyone,

Looking for some advice. About to put my house up for sale - and am hoping it sells fairly quickly - and planning on moving out of Ohio to head somewhere warm where I can ride all year or almost all year round. I'm sick of how utterly depressing Cleveland is & sick of the cold.

So I'm thinking either somewhere in Florida, or Charleston, SC. I want to remain near the coast because when I was in the Navy, I spent time in Virginia, N. Carolina & S. Carolina, and loved the drive up/down...what is it - route 17 or 11 or something like that?

I'm not crazy about hurricanes, but figure when one comes, if I have to evacuate, then I can just come back to Ohio to visit.

I'm 38, single (divorced, no kids living with me full time), and work in I.T.

I've done some homework already - but am looking for input from folks that actuallly live in the south east. So decent weather, a decent social scene, decent work & a good riding environment are what I'm looking for I guess. Any input? And feel free to ask me additional questions...I'd really like to narrow things down to 1 state & 3 or 4 cities soon...

Thanks!

Old 02-04-2010, 10:35 AM
Led Zeppelin
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When I was in the military I spent quite a bit of time in Georgia. I liked it around Savannah and Tybee Island. The night life was fun, when I was there too.

Old 02-04-2010, 10:39 AM
TittiesOnTwo
Road Master

Well lot's of folks in and around Atlanta think the social scene here is fabulous! Lot's of people single people our age out having a good time. I personally am not much for the city but if you find someplace close you are within a few hours riding time to the mountains, beach, city and everything. A lot of companies based out of Atlanta will let you work from home too so you may not even have to drive to work! I am a Peach, have lived here all my life and don't know what I would do if I ever left!

Old 02-04-2010, 10:42 AM
mid_life_crisis
Tourer

I would say Va....but we have had snow on the ground here for 6 weeks now and looking for another round of it tonight...not many years ago we road all Jan with temps in the 50's

Old 02-04-2010, 10:50 AM
sknyfats
Road Captain

Oh boy - Georgia...thats one state I keep forgetting about. But since it is between SC & FL, I should probably consider it. I just don't know a thing about it. I know other things I need to consider are taxes, gun laws (I have an Ohio CCW which is valid in FL & SC, but I don't think GA), helmet laws (I don't like'em)...hmmmm - Atlanta is a bit too far inland for me...I should defiinitely look into Savannah tho.

Old 02-04-2010, 10:53 AM
kingbobtex
Intermediate

South Texas / aka the valley. You are single and there alot of pretty bike size ladys there. Ride year around and the gulf of mexico is right there. If I was not older than dirt I would move back.

Old 02-04-2010, 10:58 AM
Led Zeppelin
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by kingbobtex
South Texas / aka the valley. You are single and there alot of pretty bike size ladys there. Ride year around and the gulf of mexico is right there. If I was not older than dirt I would move back.
That's an area I plan on visiting some day. I can't wait to get there, I've got an old friend to look up in that neighborhood.